IFF and RWR

Horns

what? you'll get emission indications but you only get warnings if the radar emitter switches to guidance waveform aka you have a missile inbound

if you haven't played any multiplayer yet you should just go online and do some flying, it will answer these basic questions

My bad, I did use the wrong term, I should have asked “how do we avoid getting radar emission indications constantly when flying with a wing/man beside/behind?”

I meant to ask about the way this works with AI wingmen, I didn’t realise there was a difference in the RWR function for multiplayer or I would have clarified, once again, my apologies.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

My bad, I did use the wrong term, I should have asked “how do we avoid getting radar emission indications constantly when flying with a wing/man beside/behind?”

I meant to ask about the way this works with AI wingmen, I didn’t realise there was a difference in the RWR function for multiplayer or I would have clarified, once again, my apologies.

If you wingman is another attack Viggen, than you should not get any RWR indications as he is not equipped with an air to air radar and I don't think you can pick up the emissions of the Viggens A-G radar in DCS. If your wingman is a fighter with an air to air radar, than you will have constant RWR indication. That's just how it is as it can't distinguish between friendly and enemy radar emissions. That's not just the case with the Viggens RWR, but with all RWRs in all aircraft.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you wingman is another attack Viggen, than you should not get any RWR indications as he is not equipped with an air to air radar and I don't think you can pick up the emissions of the Viggens A-G radar in DCS. If you wingman is a fighter with a air to air radar, than you will have constant RWR indication. That's just how it is as it can't distinguish between friendly and enemy radar emissions. That's not just the case with the Viggens RWR, but with all RWRs in all aircraft.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks, I think I’ve got my head around it now.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

you should not get any RWR indications as he is not equipped with an air to air radar and I don't think you can pick up the emissions of the Viggens A-G radar in DCS

rwrs will pick up viggen radar, as it is an x band set just like all other aircraft radars.

rwrs will pick up viggen radar, as it is an x band set just like all other aircraft radars.

Yes, in theory. But I think DCS handles A-G radars differently so they won't be recognized by RWRs. Have you tested it?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

yes i only replied after having verified in game with both viggen and f-15 rwrs

Both RWRs indicate Viggen radar emissions? You tested with AI only I assume? Because player controlled planes have different sensor modelling I think, so that the result might be different.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I definitely don’t pick up my flight’s radars in “Hunting the hunters”, which is why I asked.

I definitely don’t pick up my flight’s radars in “Hunting the hunters”, which is why I asked.

Is that singleplayer (AI aircraft in flight) or multiplayer (player controlled aircraft in flight)?

Edit: Just to be clear, we are now only talking about how DCS handles A-G radars specifically. In real life they would be picked up by the RWR for sure, just like any other radar emission (within a certain frequency range).

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is that singleplayer (AI aircraft in flight) or multiplayer (player controlled aircraft in flight)?

Edit: Just to be clear, we are now only talking about how DCS handles A-G radars specifically. In real life they would be picked up by the RWR for sure, just like any other radar emission (within a certain frequency range).

Single, sorry forgot there is a multiplayer one around. And yes, I get that IRL RWRs pick up radar regardless, cheers

I know for sure that the RWR picks up AI Viggen's radar in single player.

I don't know if there's any difference in multiplayer.

Single, sorry forgot there is a multiplayer one around. And yes, I get that IRL RWRs pick up radar regardless, cheers

Alright, thanks guys! So it works in SP, but I still think that might be different in MP, given how different DCS handles AI aircraft.

Tornado3 small.jpg

player viggen radar shows up on rwr just the same

[ATTACH]177022[/ATTACH]

please stop insisting otherwise

Thanks for confirmation! It's great to see that it actually works. I will shut up now :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg