Rudder(Yaw) sensitivity at high speed?

So, does the Spit really behave like we are seeing currently in DCS with regards to such extreme yaw moments when pushing the rudder at high speed?

Let me illustrate: Im flying straight and level at around 300mph. I push my left rudder pedal about half way in. Suddenly the plane not only yaws extremely to the left, it actually dips a wing and rolls almost 90 degrees to the left.

Is this correct behavior, or is it a result of the control stiffening forces of the rudder not yet being modelled?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

jcomm posted a link:

Here's that interesting "NACA" report: http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/spit_flying.pdf

Page 17 has info directly related to your question.

Short answer - yes the Spit will pitch down some - after it initially pitches up. If I read the thing correctly they felt it exceeded the acceptable limits for pitch force change due to rudder deflection.

Probably exaggerated here, I doubt you would have enough muscle to get half deflection at that speed. I just think of how much air pressure is on the entire side of the fuselage at that speed as soon as you yaw a bit.

Edited by Perfesser

jcomm posted a link:

Here's that interesting "NACA" report: http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/spit_flying.pdf

Page 17 has info directly related to your question.

Short answer - yes the Spit will pitch down some - after it initially pitches up. If I read the thing correctly they felt it exceeded the acceptable limits for pitch force change due to rudder deflection.

Probably exaggerated here, I doubt you would have enough muscle to get half deflection at that speed. I just think of how much air pressure is on the entire side of the fuselage at that speed as soon as you yaw a bit.

Hmmm yeah, this is going to really take a lot of getting used to. Right now when turning tight in dogfights Im really scared of even using the rudder, since it usually leads to a departure or very wobbly response, which leads to a huge loss of energy, which leads to getting shot down :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Rolling in response to sideslip (induced by rudder in this case) is called lateral stability. Every aircraft exhibits this behavior to some degree, it's something I've been reading up on lately.

I really feel like the rudder should use the "old" force implementation where it scaled your inputs down at high speed. It's far too sensitive with the "clipping" behavior in my opinion.

Try adding a bit of curve to your rudder axis and practice keeping the airplane coordinated at various speeds and orientations, you only need a tiny bit unless you're at very low speed. It takes a lot of practice, but eventually you can keep the plane coordinated using only outside visual references and "feeling" how the aircraft is responding in roll.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Yeah, I've already got some "curves" on the ruddder in all my planes. I think I've got them up to 15 or so. In the 109K I've got no problems with using the stick & rudder, in fact that particular plane seems to really like a lot of rudder during all sorts of maneuvers, unlike the Spit which at this point doesn't seem to like it's rudder being touched at all, or requires really tiny tiny inputs which I don't think Ill be able to manage in a hard turnfight.

Luckily the Spit seems to turn fine even when not completely coordinated.

On that note, I dig how different the Mustang, the 109K and the Spit really are. (Don't have the Dora) Gotta say that at this moment I prefer flying the 109K, I really feel in control of that plane, it's very hands & feet on somehow. Can't describe it adequatly in words :)

Edited by OnlyforDCS