F-18 or F-14

Pruciak

I wanted to buy a new module and I'm considering between F-18 and F-14 (will probably get them both when I have the money). Help me in terms which one is more complete/developed at the moment? Would like to have a module that is closest to finish.

With the F-14, it's a little hard to tell. I fully believe in Heatblur that they will deliver a magnificent module, but so far we've only seen a couple of (amazing!) video previews. Release date is to be between now and 21 March if I remember correctly, and this will be the F-14B, with the F-14A coming at a later date.

With the F/A-18C, a whole lot of keys system are still missing and under development. These include: TGP, Datalink, A/G radar, JDAM/JSOW

Progress on the F/A-18C has been steady and I'm enjoying learning new systems as they get integrated. This is already a fantastic module IMO, and it's getting better week by week.

Right now, I'd probably get the Hornet because it's already in Early Access and because it's a known quantity. But I did pre-order the F-14 as well and can't wait for release day. ;)

I bought them both. F18 for everything . F14 is just for my eye candy. If they offer you a tomcat or phantom or f16, you know you buy it

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Oh so its not early access you cant fly it until it is released? Saw some youtubers flying it.

That's right.

They have given a select few youtubers early access to promote the module, but it won't be released to everyone else until it's finished.

Hornet hands down . Most of the remaining systems to be implemented are not available on the Tomcat at all ,as well as some systems already implemented .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I feel like the Hornet is what you should go for if you're looking for total mission efficiency, and the ability to do, well, basically everything an "F/A" aircraft should be able to do.

But... I'm personally looking forward to actually flying the Tomcat more than I looked forward to the Hornet as it just seems like it will feel more 'hands-on', dirtier, powerful, analogue... just look at the shakes of it in a tight turn! The Hornet on the other hand is fly-by-wire and, frankly, a child could (and can, as my 6 year old nephew can do it) fly it without much real bother.

The addition of the RIO seat in the Tomcat could be interesting if you're looking to fly in multiplayer as well.

Then there's the fact the F-14 will be more or less complete upon release, and that it will ship with 2 campaigns (not sure on when they'll be released, though).

Oh, and the AIM-54. That's got to be worth a mention :-D

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

In my humble oppinion buy the f18c.

Its a modern multirole plane that so to speak can do any mission type in the game.

AND as far as i know the f18 will when development advance also get a ground radar while the f14 does not have a ground radar ( i think ).

So it will be difficult to find the enemy on the ground especially if enemy is not near your waypoint. With other words if you know in what area the enemy are supposed to be you have ca chance to find them.

The F14 is older than the f18c. But strength of the f14 is that it can fly faster and longer, and have the phoenix very long range missile.

And it can carry more bombs than the f18 however more difficult to find the enemy on the ground with the f14 compared to the f18c since it have a ground radar.

If you fly together with a friend, and one person fly the f18c and spot the ground targets with radar and send the coordinates to the f14 then it become a great ground attack plane... But in general i would say the f14 is mostly good at A/A, all though it can drop bombs.

But the f14 is a pretty cool plane though ;-)

Well get the f18c becourse it can do anything pretty good, is my advice.

PS... The f18c is in development and is not 100% finished yet... the big things taht are missing is the Targeting pod ( that will come soon ), and the ground radar, and the link16 that allow you to send/recieve data to other planes such as the a10 ect.

The f14 i think is almost finished in development and have almost all features avaliable from day 1.

Edited by delevero

F-18 is much better and modern aicraft.

That's like, just your opinion man!

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

IMO Its not correct to say that F-18 is easiest to fly, like someone said. It may have modern systems like auto-trim and ATC which are helpful when flying, but that dont means that its easy to fly with it...

Just try AA refueling or some CASE III carrier landings and you will see that its not so easy. Hornet is very sensitive plane and it requires skill to flying it.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Like everyone here, I`m looking forward to the Tomcat and have it pre-purchased since before Christmas. No doubt it will be an excellent module, but the F/A-18 is a fantastic module and very well done. I think the F/A-18 will be a more versatile aircraft when completed, and it is relatively easy to fly. The one fault with the F/A-18 is it`s short legs and a drop tank is a necessity on any mission of length, of course you have A2A refueling. It`s a difficult choice to make as the Tomcat has yet to be released, but I can say the F/A-18 is well worth the full asking price.

Edited by Zoomer

Like you said, you will probably get both. So F18 now, you can fly it today.

F14 on release.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I've got the Hornet and pre-ordered the Tomcat. The Hornet is a thing of outstanding beauty to fly and in VR it's ridiculously good. It is of course getting better and better as more systems come online. I'm glad I got the Hornet in EA because it's a great way to learn as things steadily come online.

The Tomcat is going to be more complete of course.