USB

Raisuli

• ED Team
Started up DCS, then decided to unplug an (unrelated) exFAT USB SSD (SATA with a SATA-USB cable). Instant CTD.

Not sure it matters to you (complete non-issue to me), just an odd behavior. When bug hunting data is good...

Could You kindly provide us with more details?

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

Could You kindly provide us with more details?

I didn't have time (at the time) to dig into it. I did run into another CTD doing something completely unrelated (closing an image on a different screen). If it would help to put my QA hat on for a while I'll see what I can do to break things.

It might also be worth noting this is a (nearly) brand-new installation of Windows 10 Enterprise, which means it hasn't gotten too fouled up with a lot of crapware. The DCS installation is also brand new.

I have since updated the video driver, which changes any results. For a while there were a few pixels missing from the center of the screen (not a blank area, the pixels on either side covered the missing area), something I first noticed playing DCS, but it would persist after quitting and required a reboot to fix. So far new nVidia drivers seem to have fixed that.

The old video drivers are whatever I ended up with after installing Win10E and running all the updates, if that matters.

i7-7700 4.2GHz (no overclocking)

nVidia GTX 1080 (no overclocking)

32G RAM

2xSamsumg EVO 850 1TB SSDs (one for OS, one for DCS and...other software)

1x8TB spinny disk

Boat loads of network attached drives (Synology RAID)

3 monitors (2x24", 1x27")

If there's something else specific I can provide let me know.

This is strange. I did the same thing and got the same behavior. On a computer??

Plug in an (old) Samsung 256GB SSD drive to USB port using a StarTech USB352SAT3CB cable. Start DCS. Pull USB cable from port:

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.5.5.32533, time stamp: 0x5d0a16cb

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.592, time stamp: 0x0f1b8afd

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000fb049

Faulting process id: 0xf70

Faulting application start time: 0x01d52add75a653fb

Faulting application path: D:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: ae0a825b-1b3b-4980-9d7f-df82622491bd

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I tried with 2 different USB drives, 1 x USB Stick and 1 x Samsung USB3 Adapter with a 750GB HDD, no crash could be provoked...and I tried hard.

The only thing that happens is a brief stutter/stop if I unplug/plug/unplug... the HDD while in flight, but no CTD.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I can plug in/out ANY of my USB devices and no crash.

"Must" be motherboard/driver specific imho and not DCS related.

Newest Bios, newest Intel Chipset drivers, newest drivers overall ??

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I can plug in/out ANY of my USB devices and no crash.

"Must" be motherboard/driver specific imho and not DCS related.

Newest Bios, newest Intel Chipset drivers, newest drivers overall ??

Probably not DCS related. Jury is still out on the missing pixels (they came back), but my gut tells me that's not DCS either. ntdll.dll might be something DCS depends on, but they certainly didn't write it.

I've been able to plug in/remove that same drive/cable combination with no trouble, I've had it all go south. Without more data to prove it I'm thinking more along the lines of USB subsystems than the applications running on top of the OS.

The problem with Windows, actually the miracle, is that it works at all.