VR Test Discussion

RogueSqdn

I am sorry but I haven't found time and gumption to do my civic duty in filling out the rigorous test form, but on my box, DCS has been smooth as a babies' butt lately. Very happy with 2.5.5 !

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even without the 50% improvement, dcs has not gotten any worse. just fly and enjoy.

no need getting stressed out about it.

if an improvement happens, it happens. it a bonus, not a blocker.

I was mainly worried about Reverb performance without it, but it seems like the people who actually have been able to get them can get decent performance out of them.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Performance improvements may have been implemented. Many on the Forum have noticed increase in FPS including myself.

interestingly i got a boost using my cv1 but then lost it after getting the index.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

interestingly i got a boost using my cv1 but then lost it after getting the index.

Hmm, thats weird. Did you run the test using both headsets with different results? I.e. CV1 goes from 45 to 90 or whatever and WMR stays at 45 for both cases?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Nineline, when you get a some info from the team on this issue, out of curiosity, please let us know, such as what data from the test the community contributed helped with a solution, if any, What the suspected issue is/was, and possible forthcoming solutions. Not asking for in-depth technical details, just something in layman terms so to speak.

+1 It would be nice to know I guess. I just want it work tho :)

+1 It would be nice to know I guess. I just want it work tho :)

Indeed, let’s see the solution first!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I´m one of those who see a major improvement (although there´s always room for more, its just a comparation as before). I have the Vive, sometimes i get 30 fps but it is a lot fluid. Most always in 45Fps. I know that without my system specs and testing its difficult to understand. I don´t have room available right now for installing stable version to test. 1080Ti Zotac, 32Gb Ram 1800Mhz, M.2 SSD, 2x SSD´s, 1 OS SSD, I7 4790K 4.4, Liquid Cooling, and HTC Vive. Tested in VR With this graphic settings on DCS Beta. SteamVR SS1.0, DCS VR Options SS1.5 and forced IPD 68 (DCS VR Options).

Textures: High

Terrain textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Low

Water: High

Visit Range: High

Heat Blur: Low

Shadows: Flat Only

Res. of cockpit displays: 1024

MSAA: 4x

Depth of field: Off

Lens Effects: Dirt+Flare

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter/Grass: 1500

Trees Visibility: 80%

Preload Radius: 150000

Chimney Smoke Density: 1

Gamma: 1.8

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

Terrain Object Shadows: Flat

Cockpit Global Illumination: On

Message font scale: 1

Raind Droplets: ON

VSync: Off

Full Screen: ON

Scale GUI: ON

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I'd post that in the official thread.

What is the status of the FPS VR Performance Optimization?

Is ED still working on the FPS improvement for VR that was set for release to BETA a few weeks ago? The last mention of VR Performance Optimization in the Beta Update logs was 6/5. What is the current status on this?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Where was it mentioned in the update logs?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I'd post that in the official thread.

Sorry, you´re right. My bad.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Any info on the test results?

I'm interested also. Shouldn't new test results be null and void now since the release version has caught up to the OB?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I am getting significantly worse (at least to me) fps since the latest patch. Was a solid 45 with some upward spikes. Now getting 38 - 40 with some downward spikes.

Anyone else seeing this?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Depends on the aircraft. On the F-14 I am seeing a decrease in FPS from the previous versions without optimization. With the F-15 and MiG-29 modules, I am seeing increases in FPS. I do not have the exact numbers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Omen 15" / GTX1060 / i7 8750h / 32GB DDR4 / Oculus Rift

Depends on the aircraft. On the F-14 I am seeing a decrease in FPS from the previous versions without optimization. With the F-15 and MiG-29 modules, I am seeing increases in FPS. I do not have the exact numbers.

I was in the 18 both before and after.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Any info on the test results?

Yes, would be nice to know. With the provided data, there are only two possible conclusions/scenarios:

1. VR improvements are restricted to a very special combination of hardware and/or settings.
  2. Error in measurement of the few outliers who actually saw an improvement (in other words no measurable FPS improvement).

I hate to be that negative, but case 2 appears to be far more likely to me given the simplicity and hence error margin of the test and the majority of people with very different hardware and settings who saw no improvement.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Yes, would be nice to know. With the provided data, there are only two possible conclusions/scenarios:

1. VR improvements are restricted to a very special combination of hardware and/or settings.
  2. Error in measurement of the few outliers who actually saw an improvement (in other words no measurable FPS improvement).

I hate to be that negative, but case 2 appears to be far more likely to me given the simplicity and hence error margin of the test and the majority of people with very different hardware and settings who saw no improvement.

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. So far we do know there is/was some issue with the map/rendering of it that ate a bunch of frames (maybe that "solved" memory leak)

#1 I'd hate for this to be it, because it suggests a pretty basic lack of testing on ED's part, which I want to doubt since they have to have "internal" testers who probably have some diversity in computer setups.

#2 I'd say this is more likely, but honestly a 50% improvement would be pretty hard to get wrong. I don't count those guys who saw less than 10fps improvement since I think that is a measuring error.

At a guess and a possible #3 it DID work in their "test environment" and integrating it into the the rest of DCS broke whatever they did, which is what was suggested.

I’m kind of agreeing that #2 is most likely. I initially posted a 50% improvement until I realised my stable and beta settings were quite different!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’m kind of agreeing that #2 is most likely. I initially posted a 50% improvement until I realised my stable and beta settings were quite different!

Ouch...

Interestingly i run steam beta an i insalled the ED stsble and it copied my gfx settings over.

Many have already noticed FPS improvements from the previous updates. Are you looking for additional improvements?

Not sure about the 'many'. From what I can tell from postings and the results on the VR test thread, very few have seen any improvement.

We are still waiting on ED to analyse the results of the test, I think.

Many have already noticed FPS improvements from the previous updates. Are you looking for additional improvements?

The overwhelming majority have seen no improvement. Thats what this thread and the test thread is about.

"The overwhelming majority have seen no improvement."

Not that I disagree, But... your sample size is super small to make quite that claim.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The sample size is that thread. And in that set most people dont. Given there is about 0 scientific rigor in it i wouldnt call 45 fps vs 47 any improvment. Maybe 45 to 55. And since it was advertised as 50% it should be 45 to 67 or so.