**DCS: F-14 Multiplayer Testing!**

Cobra847

and also, the r27 was not more than a prototype and test, but the mim23 was used and then developed by Iran into a new a-a missile called sedjeel (سجيل) they had also developed an Iranian version of aim54 (obviously not as good as the original one) called fakour-90, but as lack of data is obvious , I really think that mim23 option would be the most realistic one.

sedjeel missile based on hawk mim23

attachment.php?attachmentid=164268&stc=1&d=1497467790

Fakour-90 iranian version of aim54

attachment.php?attachmentid=164269&stc=1&d=1497467853

sedjeel missile based on hawk mim23

attachment.php?attachmentid=164270&stc=1&d=1497467999

Mim23 or maybe sedjeel on tomcat

attachment.php?attachmentid=164271&stc=1&d=1497467999

I'm very sorry I think all of this capability would be very cool but there isn't one video showing an actual MiM-23 FIRING and HITTING a target after being launched by an F-14. It cannot tune to the AWG-9. What you've read is largely intentional misleading information to fluff their jet's capabilities. It is amazing that they fly at all but I seriously doubt the ability to maintain the AWG-9 as a fully capable system and doubt all press releases that state otherwise. I think a very realistic capability is long range search and attacking with AIM-9Js. If Iran had a radar missile capability they would film it in HD4k resolution and send to every News outlet in the world. What they have now are press releases and ideas and prototypes and drop tests and separation tests and models. What they have not demonstrated in the past twenty years is the ability to destroy an A-A target with an American made radar guided weapon. I'd guess their MiG-29s are in better shape. ( this coming from a 20 years avionics tech)

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What WinterH said. We will probably be getting the B model first, the A model will be coming later. (According to Cobra)

Yeah....which makes me think, if A and B come out as separate full priced modules, i might actually wait for the A, after all it is the bird i'll spend 90% of my time in the air with..... :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm very sorry I think all of this capability would be very cool but there isn't one video showing an actual MiM-23 FIRING and HITTING a target after being launched by an F-14. It cannot tune to the AWG-9. What you've read is largely intentional misleading information to fluff their jet's capabilities. It is amazing that they fly at all but I seriously doubt the ability to maintain the AWG-9 as a fully capable system and doubt all press releases that state otherwise. I think a very realistic capability is long range search and attacking with AIM-9Js. If Iran had a radar missile capability they would film it in HD4k resolution and send to every News outlet in the world. What they have now are press releases and ideas and prototypes and drop tests and separation tests and models. What they have not demonstrated in the past twenty years is the ability to destroy an A-A target with an American made radar guided weapon. I'd guess their MiG-29s are in better shape. ( this coming from a 20 years avionics tech)

Let me get this straight, what you are saying is that you think that Iran doesn't have the ability to operate and use the F-14 as a weapons platform to fire the AIM54 missile? Is that because they have no more AIM54s, can't reverse engineer any, or do you think that they never had this ability?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yeah....which makes me think, if A and B come out as separate full priced modules, i might actually wait for the A, after all it is the bird i'll spend 90% of my time in the air with..... :pilotfly:

It has been stated that the both versions will be available in one package, or as one module. Kind of like the L39C and ZA are.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It has been stated that the both versions will be available in one package, or as one module. Kind of like the L39C and ZA are.

Thank God. I can't afford to buy 2 F-14 modules. :P

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

There are not much of those lovely birds left here, say they overhauled the plane, they say they developed an aim54 based missile, but due to air force being nasty about those data, no one can confirm or reject those statements. In my point of view those capabilities are not cool at all, they show how terrible was the shortage of sources during the war.

I really agree with the part that they would film it to show it to the world, but there's one fact, the usage of mim23 return to the era of Iran Iraq conflict and considering the issue of classification and not having much of powerful medias and recording devices during the war, I can give it some chance that it actually happened and got couple of kills in action, in one of non English topic somewhere else I could find some simple explanations on how they matched the tomcat and mim23 as they guidance and launch systems fundamentally differ, I couldn't find any movie or other footage on that.

thanks

Alireza

Oh, well all for the better if so. We'll get more time to practice some traps before the TF30's come around, and we can get down and dirty! :joystick::thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

There are not much of those lovely birds left here, say they overhauled the plane, they say they developed an aim54 based missile, but due to air force being nasty about those data, no one can confirm or reject those statements. In my point of view those capabilities are not cool at all, they show how terrible was the shortage of sources during the war.

I really agree with the part that they would film it to show it to the world, but there's one fact, the usage of mim23 return to the era of Iran Iraq conflict and considering the issue of classification and not having much of powerful medias and recording devices during the war, I can give it some chance that it actually happened and got couple of kills in action, in one of non English topic somewhere else I could find some simple explanations on how they matched the tomcat and mim23 as they guidance and launch systems fundamentally differ, I couldn't find any movie or other footage on that.

thanks

Alireza

You REALLY want the mim23 huh....:music_whistling:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You REALLY want the mim23 huh....:music_whistling:

Not really that much, I'm not even into tomcat, my main flying type would be hornet:):):):), but well, tomcat is a legend to me, a hero. I was just sharing those strange test photos on forum I never thought Heatblur would simulate it, man those guys know how to do it.

One thing I would love to see to become a norm in DCS modules is official two sets of cockpit textures.

1) Brand new, out-of-the-factory textures.

2) the artistic view of in-service textures with weathering like now.

Like seriously saying, Mig-21Bis is amazing module but it looks exactly like a 30 year old museum piece in a junk yard from cockpit.

And it is an immersion killer when doing a mission to that era when aircraft is timed to be fresh in service.

And no, third party skins are just a temporary fixes for that.

I don't know how officially the skinning is done, but if it comes to most art and other 3D modeling, the weathering is done afterwards the skin is done "as brand new" to get it the look, instead do it feom scratch as weathered.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

One thing I would love to see to become a norm in DCS modules is official two sets of cockpit textures.

1) Brand new, out-of-the-factory textures.

2) the artistic view of in-service textures with weathering like now.

Like seriously saying, Mig-21Bis is amazing module but it looks exactly like a 30 year old museum piece in a junk yard from cockpit.

And it is an immersion killer when doing a mission to that era when aircraft is timed to be fresh in service.

And no, third party skins are just a temporary fixes for that.

I don't know how officially the skinning is done, but if it comes to most art and other 3D modeling, the weathering is done afterwards the skin is done "as brand new" to get it the look, instead do it feom scratch as weathered.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

That's not really a possibility. It would take incredibly large amounts of extra time.

If you're not a fan of weathered cockpits, you probably won't be a fan of our F-14 cockpit.

It will be greasy, dirty and battered, exactly as it would be in the late 80s and 90s during high intensity navy deployments.

FWIW, the MiG-21 cockpit appears as a service aircraft would. We didn't have a single museum piece as reference.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

That's not really a possibility. It would take incredibly large amounts of extra time.

If you're not a fan of weathered cockpits, you probably won't be a fan of our F-14 cockpit.

It will be greasy, dirty and battered, exactly as it would be in the late 80s and 90s during high intensity navy deployments.

FWIW, the MiG-21 cockpit appears as a service aircraft would. We didn't have a single museum piece as reference.

I don't believe you! Show us another pic! We need more grease!

Okay so you do texture the cockpit from start as finished instead first doing "fresh" and then weather it in artistic style. :)

Well I think "fan" is heavy word here, as the weathering adds immersion etc, but it is always after using longer period of the tool. ;)

That is the thing, as many air forces will paint periodically or as required the cockpits to keep them clean and stress levels lower as spotting and operating them is better. It is like a cleaning the windshield that every ground crew chief should require as dirty cockpit visibility is no-go.

It is just cultural thing like public transportation vehicles, in some countries no one cares and it shows, while in some there is a cleaning crew after every shift that will clean all surfaces. And it shows as well.

I have been looking few Mig-21F cockpits that were in service for decades and then put to show without any other "polishing" and they are mint looking because ground crews kept them in tidy conditions instead let them start rusting and corrosion.

And then talking about a weathering of decades worth of usage vs couple years usage.

Flying Mig-21Bis in a mission from 1974 isn't so immersive as the cockpit is like from decades later without servicing. :)

Of course there are the third party skins but if they change something else too, then it ain't so nice. :(

--

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I want Smellivision....

Ahhhh, the smell of JP5, H-5606, sweat, grease, vomit all intertwined into one disgusting aroma.

An aircraft is only looking new until the first 50 or 100 hour check, when most access panels are removed and all systems are checked

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Certainly! I hear you. Of course it simply depends on the maintenance work done by the crew. Likewise, the F-14 cockpit we just visited (one of them) looked factory fresh as it had just been restored. Fresh paint, no chipping or cracking, not even the orange,grimey,rusty dust in crevices.

Immersion is our top priority, and greasy, battered, weathered aircraft have a way of placing you in the cockpit, moreso than a clean jet.

It helps, in the F-14's case, that like almost every other Navy aircraft, it's just naturally dirty during a high intensity deployment.

It's difficult to explain how the texture process works, I guess the easiest way is to say that there are not seperate 'stages' where it's first clean and later gets weathered. It's more a continous flow/process, where both weathering and the base texturing is done concurrently. :)

That said, as seen by our talented community members, one can go in after it is done and try to remove a lot of the weathering and grime-- but I'm currently unsure whether we have resources to spare to do that ourselves.

We have some really cool features that we think people will absolutely love (visual) which we'd rather spend time on first. It's just a matter of priorities really.

That said, of course we'll have relatively clean all the way to extremely dirty aircraft for the exterior. We're also planning to do 6 different weathering patterns for the exterior, so almost no two jets look the same.

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 2

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

You would be surprised how quickly cockpits and other surfaces wear once the planes become operational. That MiG cockpit could just as easily be 3-5 years of heavy service as well as 30 years.

"That is the thing, as many air forces will paint periodically or as required the cockpits to keep them clean and stress levels lower as spotting and operating them is better. It is like a cleaning the windshield that every ground crew chief should require as dirty cockpit visibility is no-go."

Right, well, except that touching up paint is nothing like cleaning a clear surface. When you touch up paint it can go a few ways:

1) no prep - you end up with little ugly bubbles of paint, a touch up will have a hard edge and distinct line, no blending whatsoever, so harder to replicate in a sim

2) some prep - provided the area was big enough to actually put sandpaper to it, and I'm not so sure you would if the plane was not down hard for maintenance, and even then why would you make a mess like this in the cockpit, then you would get a better blended line, but with hand sanding you really don't get the quality "feathering" of old paint, especially in a rushed job. Pretty hard to replicate in a sim

3) The plane goes down for hard maintenance and someone pulls the panels out, disconnected everything, and properly preps, primes, and paints it. You'd get a fantastic factory finish......but I bet this almost never happens in a warplane since interior aesthetics are not an operational need, hence all the chipping and scuffs from gloves, watches, rings, zippers, boots, etc....

Also, with any touch ups and such you have to remember that these would be done most likely by a teenager who may or may not enjoy doing this kind of menial tasking (I know, I was there once or twice as a young SN in the USCG). Probably not a whole lot of effort going into it, and with improper clean up you get things like holidays, the paint fish eyeing because of leftover paint dust, on top of how paint really doesn't like to stick to aluminum, even when you use a primer with "teeth".......

I'm saying this because I would imagine that a brand new plane cockpit doesn't stay brand new very long.

~S

Edited by Robert31178

+1 Love it! If the rest of the cockpit is anything like the ACM picture posted then it will be an awesome place to be - and I will be in there a LOT. Your textures so far are looking amazing! :thumbup:

I guess you guys are more than aware, but some would be surprised how banged up cockpit/flight deck panels get. I have no idea how...it's not like we go around hitting everything lol.

Also - naff I know but will the Weapon Select switch be mappable to a hat switch on your stick to cycle through weapons in sequence? So UP-GUN-UP-SW-UP-SP/PH, and cycling back down again? So one command for Weapons Select Switch UP, and one for Down.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 Love it! If the rest of the cockpit is anything like the ACM picture posted then it will be an awesome place to be - and I will be in there a LOT. Your textures so far are looking amazing! :thumbup:

I guess you guys are more than aware, but some would be surprised how banged up cockpit/flight deck panels get. I have no idea how...it's not like we go around hitting everything lol.

Also - naff I know but will the Weapon Select switch be mappable to a hat switch on your stick to cycle through weapons in sequence? So UP-GUN-UP-SW-UP-SP/PH, and cycling back down again? So one command for Weapons Select Switch UP, and one for Down.

I think that's the way we already have it mapped. Most of us use the hatswitch on the Warthog to switch up/down.

To switch from SP to PHX (or back) you bind another button that toggles between the two.

For those not in the know: SP/PHX occupy the same position on the stick weapons selector. In real life, IIRC, you press down on the button.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

I think that's the way we already have it mapped. Most of us use the hatswitch on the Warthog to switch up/down.

To switch from SP to PHX (or back) you bind another button that toggles between the two.

For those not in the know: SP/PHX occupy the same position on the stick weapons selector. In real life, IIRC, you press down on the button.

Awesome, thanks Cobra. That will work perfectly with the VKB MCG coming soon as its hat switches also have a push button function.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...