SU-24 outrun the F-5E? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
Axelerator

"Su-24 outruns the F-5E". Nothing surprising here. The F-5 has very weak engines and is the slowest afterburner equiped jet that I can think of. Okay maybe faster than the Mig-17... but that's pretty much it.

Last edited by Axelerator; 03-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Axelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
imacken

Just been trying out another chase and also watching my wingman disappear over the horizon chasing the same SU-24!
Noticed that the maximum speed I can get in level flight is around 425 knots. That doesn't seem right, does it? This chase is happening around 16,000 ft.
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
Axelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
RW: Su-24 M1.35 vs. F-5E M1.63. So this would be indeed surprising.
The problem is that usually credible sources like Jane's quote the Su-24 max speed as M1.35 while other sources state M2.0. That's quite a large gap.
Su-24 speed limit is M1.35 only at sea level. The F-5E can only reach M 1.63 at high altitude, where the Su-24 is able to reach Mach 2.18.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
imacken

Quote:
That's only M0.85. There's something seriously wrong with your test since the F-5 should easily exceed this speed even with MIL thrust. Max speed at 16000ft should be around M1.25
That's what I'm thinking.
I'm using the Airbase Defence mission and chasing the SU-24 after it has bombed the airfield and started to run for home.
Give it a try and see if you get the same thing. Max speed around 425 knots at 16,000 ft for me.
What could be wrong?
I'll try another scenario as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
Axelerator

Su-24 engines make a total of 220 kN with afterburner engaged. F-5E engines only 44 kN. That makes less than a quarter of the power...
Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I'm using the Airbase Defence mission and chasing the SU-24 after it has bombed the airfield and started to run for home.
Give it a try and see if you get the same thing. Max speed around 425 knots at 16,000 ft for me.
What could be wrong?
OK, so, I tried the Instant Action Free Flight Mission in Caucasus, dumped the external tank and was getting 650 knots.
So, there is something going on with the Airbase Defence Mission. Can someone else try it?
Old 03-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
Axelerator

Quote:
That's a totaly useless comparison since are you apparently disregarding the rather significant difference in weight and size.
Yes the Su-24 is bigger and heavier but remember, it has folding wings. It reduces its drag coefficient by a huge amount. So not a very draggy plane at all and when you add up the fact it's five times the power of the F-5E...
Old 03-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
esb77

The Su-24 is a low level attack aircraft from the "fly fast and low to avoid SAMs" era. It is meant to go long distances at very high speeds while carrying a payload.

The F-5 is a lightweight fighter/trainer design. It's meant to be cheap, reliable, and highly maneuverable at low to medium altitudes when at medium to high subsonic speeds.

In a dogfight, the design of the F-5 gives it a large advantage over the Su-24.

In a race, the design of the Su-24 is generally going to give it a large advantage over the F-5.

Not that the F-5 can't get up to a reasonable speed, or that the Su-24 can't pull some turns, but in terms of primary design purpose the Su-24 is much better suited for going fast and the F-5 is much better suited for agility in a dogfight.

They are built for different tasks, and if one tries to outdo the other at the other's intended task it's not surprising that difficulties are encountered.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.
esb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #19
GGTharos
Veteran

Pull your airbrake in before you take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
What could be wrong?

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #20
dimitrischal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
Pull your airbrake in before you take off.
This and also put flap switch to off. Also DCS ai cheats.
dimitrischal is offline   Reply With Quote