Golden Eagle Spreads Its Wings - Page 3 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #21
probad
Senior Member
 
probad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,735
Default

we havent even started exploiting 5thgen capabilities yet and you people think we can already move on to 6thgen?

generational shifts are not simply about simple statistical inflation, they are about shifts in paradigm, and you can't know what new approach you will need until you've learned the lessons of the previous generation.
__________________
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
we havent even started exploiting 5thgen capabilities yet and you people think we can already move on to 6thgen?

generational shifts are not simply about simple statistical inflation, they are about shifts in paradigm, and you can't know what new approach you will need until you've learned the lessons of the previous generation.
Well, its not just us people here who think about 6th gen fighters, its the industry that is alredy working on them (e.g. Boeing F/A-XX, MiG-41 or the new franco-german fighter).
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + ATi Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280X (3 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!


Last edited by QuiGon; 02-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #23
probad
Senior Member
 
probad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,735
Default

yeah i think that part is marketing bluster, they took the whole "generation" concept and are now running away with it, the implied intent being that they can just somehow leapfrog into the lead by saying so.
__________________
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
GGTharos
Veteran
 
GGTharos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 29,488
Default

The generation concept is defined by air forces. You can try to market something as 'x gen' six ways to sunday, but in the end it's not the marketing that decides.

BTW, USAF has been exploiting 5th gen in 2004 officially. Everyone else who's starting to field '5th gen' stuff now is that many years behind, minimum, and probably a little further behind in technology like AESA radars etc.
__________________

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #25
frixon28
Member
 
frixon28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NA
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
BTW, USAF has been exploiting 5th gen in 2004 officially. Everyone else who's starting to field '5th gen' stuff now is that many years behind, minimum, and probably a little further behind in technology like AESA radars etc.
That is very true but how many F-22's were around 2004? Considering there is less than 200 aircraft now its not like its fleet wide like it will be in 10 years with the F-35 going full blunt. No doubt the technology is around, is it being implemented on everything? With the Golden Eagle these technological advancements will finally be implemented. Though yes the US is still leagues ahead than most of its competitors in the 5th generation department, and most likely always will be
frixon28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
GGTharos
Veteran
 
GGTharos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 29,488
Default

The technology has been around and is being implemented on everything that's not being replaced/retired by F-35's.

The F-22 is the official debut of 5th gen, but 5th gen capability was already being trialed by the Elmendorff birds.

The timelines are not very clear to those of us who don't get to see all the upgrades and tests that are happening behind the scenes

Most people delineate things in terms of 'IOC happened this date' or 'component installed that date', but most of the time, at least with USAF, this stuff has been in development and realistic testing for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frixon28 View Post
That is very true but how many F-22's were around 2004? Considering there is less than 200 aircraft now its not like its fleet wide like it will be in 10 years with the F-35 going full blunt. No doubt the technology is around, is it being implemented on everything? With the Golden Eagle these technological advancements will finally be implemented. Though yes the US is still leagues ahead than most of its competitors in the 5th generation department, and most likely always will be
__________________

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cft, eagle, f-15c, golden eagle, slep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.