Strange problem with acquiring targets in BVR (amraam)

darek

Hi Guys,

Using latest 2.5.6 BETA. Read Chuck's guide and spent hoooous on video guides.

Background:

this is driving me crazy... I've been flying GrowlingSidewinder's Desert Storm mission over and over again. After killing SAMs with HAARM, you need to switch to A/A and engage some Mig 29s. I made my live easier by changing my loadout to AMRAAMs (newbie).

Problem:

BVA used to work properly, but suddenly (just like that one day) after switching from HAARM A/G mode to A/A mode (by selecting AMRAAM on Hotas) my radar no more allows me to assign targets in BVA mode in both TWS and RWS modes. Diamond is assigned to the radar screen, but instead of green dots that I can select using hotas there are red symbols in their place that I cannot pick as targets. The only thing I can do to acquire target is to switch to visual acquiring mode (diamond towards hud) and do it in close combat via hud which is waaaay too late. This is happening now in 100% cases.

What's wrong? What can I do to be able to acquire these target in BVA?

Edited by darek

Thanks MacEwan,

but for me it looks like it's a different beast than reported there. Unless I interpret wrong what's happening. I mean what I get on a radar looks like (from Chuck's guide) IFF Datalink showing a hostile and I cannot interact with in any way even after pointing at it with hotas...

Every single A/A BVR tutorial shows nice green dots that you can focus targeting on. In reality it's more often broken than functional (fixed/broken cycle happening from version to version update).

Ssssoooo frustrated. This is a sick situation - taken into account all DCS radar bugs I cannot assume something is my fault and simply RTFM. Lost so much time doing this :(

Edited by darek

What you're describing is a contact that is being sent to you over a datalink and your radar does not currently detect. There's a few possible causes for this. It most commonly happens because the target is above or below your radar scan volume, but could also be caused by scan width or radar PRF depending on the target's relative location to you and their speed. A screenshot of your radar page when you have the problem could be helpful, or a track file when you encounter the problem.

I thought the same so I raised it to 6 bars just to be double sure - this didn't help... Like you advised, I will post the radar screenshot next time I will fly the mission. Thanks.

BTW bandits are almost exactly on the same altitude than me (35000 ft) when this is happening...

Edited by darek

I thought the same so I raised it to 6 bars just to be double sure - this didn't help... Like you advised, I will post the radar screenshot next time I will fly the mission. Thanks.

BTW bandits are almost exactly on the same altitude than me (35000 ft) when this is happening...

Your radar cursor shows you the maximum and minimum altitude being scanned at the cursor location, so if you know the bandit's altitude, it should be pretty simple to check if it's within the radar scan volume.

Hi, please see attached both screenshot and the trk file. Somehow I cannot make a better screenshot using PrtScn, but the yellow range numbers on the slew cursor on the radar strangely show "-99" and "-99" (in both RWS and TWS modes). 2 bars should be enough as bandits are almost on the same altitude as I am, but switching to 4B did not fix anything anyway...

NOTE: the same problem appears in the latest stable DCS version as well, so this is not only beta-specific...

Screen_200920_210541.thumb.png.f5b921662b5315de6456ba7499709981.png

radarBVRProblem2.trk

Edited by darek

the yellow range numbers on the slew cursor on the radar strangely show "-99" and "-99"

Yup, your radar is pointing straight down. It definitely won't pick up any aircraft that way.

As Swift said, you should check your control bindings. Something is telling the radar to point down. You're looking for Radar Elevation either as an axis or a pair of buttons - it can be controlled either way.