1980's East and West Germany map

Ikaros

1980's East and West Germany map  

133 members have voted

1. 1. 1980's East and West Germany map

Absolutely I would.

The only problem is the size of the map and the detail. Ideally, you'd want all of the area detailed, and I'm not sure what constraints the current engine has (well, aside from thinking the world is flat).

I don't think total size is maybe an issue, after all, the Caucasus map is roughly equivalent in size (the total area of Germany as a whole is ~390,000 km^2 and the Black Sea is around 440,000 km^2).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Pretty much as the title would suggest, a 1980's East and West Germany map would be pretty awesome.

This has been requested in many threads before yours...

Like here and here. If you want to make a strong case for such amap I would concentrate on making a single thread big instead of creating many small ones.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would buy, but there're some serious issues: lesser one - we lack 80s versions of main us planes. We only have F-15 and 14s while 16 and 18s are too modern and have too good sensors and avionics compared to their 80s versions. The main issue - bluefor is so addicted to fox-3 that 95% of blue fighters aren't interested in fox-1 engagements. Check online, the proof it there

Would be a nice map for sure, but I agree that it's very unlikely.

It is so densely populated that it's bound to be a performance nightmare, plus plenty of work to set up, plus doesn't have any proper kind of semi-natural boundary to it.

We don't have a lot of 1980s stuff to play with as of now and people who frequent the mystical realms of wherever these kind of quotes turn up repeatedly said that ED at least has absolutely no interest in making any of the famous cold war planes beyond what is confirmed in the pipeline at this point.

Concluding I think having a Baltic Sea map would be the closest one could get reasonably.

Just why?

The late Cold War, and Red Storm Rising to name a couple.

Plus finally, a European map.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Why not Balkan?

For me, history, it was a precipice between the Soviet Union and NATO, airbases on both sides, perfect place for CAS aircraft. Also if you're into Tom Clancy; Red Storm Rising.

Major strategic area during the Cold War, and definitely a perfect place for Cold War gone hot scenarios. It's also one of the only places you'll find real, historical bases for BLUFOR and REDFOR (especially for our current assets) in the same region, that fit a vast majority of our current assets.

A fair number of aircraft that we have currently or are in progress/planned have been historically based in the region, and in a fair number of cases (at least for REDFOR) have liveries that fit (there are appropriate liveries for the MiG-15bis, MiG-19P (though marked as fictional), MiG-21bis, MiG-29S, A-10A and A-10C).

The F-15 and F-16 were also based in the region (though in the case of the F-16 probably the earlier F-16C Block 25 and the F-16A Block 1/5/10/15(?)). There's also the Eurofighter Typhoon and the F-86F that are/were based in the region, if we forgo the era.

There are also a number of wished-for aircraft historically based in the region as well, that also fit the era, namely the Tornado IDS and the F-104G.

Another thing is air defences, again, the map is basically a perfect fit; the SA-2, SA-3, SA-5, SA-6, SA-8 and the SA-10, all were stationed in the region (there might be some deviations in the exact variant, but this is a pretty minor issue, especially since DCS usually doesn't do a great job of telling us exactly which variant of a system we have, apart from the SA-10). Here is a great resource for battery positions, at least for the SA-2, SA-3, SA-5 and the SA-10.

Definitely wouldn't say no to the Balkans, especially with their close proximity to the areas of the Caucasus and the Syria map, it's just I prefer the Baltic and Germany more so and to me is more interesting and has more potential (only thing it misses out on is naval operations, but that depends how far north a Germany map would extend)

No. The only value of that map would be historical context, and I'm not into historical scenarios.

I beg to differ.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Has there actually been any air combat, or air to ground actions in that region during the cold war period?

No sarcasm intended, just an honest question.

With other words, what sort of potential DCS scenarios should I think of?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

There were a couple of NATO aircraft downed after intruding East German airspace. Apart from that nothing, but it would give a huge potential for cold war gone hot scenarios, as this would have been a place were it had gone hot first.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With other words, what sort of potential DCS scenarios should I think of?

Cold War gone hot (WW3)

• Like 4

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

There were a couple of NATO aircraft downed after intruding East German airspace. Apart from that nothing, but it would give a huge potential for cold war gone hot scenarios, as this would have been a place were it had gone hot first.

ah ok thanks for the info. In that case I'll vote no

Each their own, but I much rather see the effort being put in other maps/regions that aren't limited to fictional scenarios

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

ah ok thanks for the info. In that case I'll vote no

Each their own, but I much rather see the effort being put in other maps/regions that aren't limited to fictional scenarios

It's much less ficitional than most DCS scenarios we have so far. The armies and air forces were in place, had assigned battle positions and battle plans were well laid out in incredible detail. They were just waiting for the war to break out and execute their plans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Joint_Force_Command_Brunssum#Subordinate_Commands_in_1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORTHAG_wartime_structure_in_1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CENTAG_wartime_structure_in_1989

Corps_sectors_in_NATO%27s_Central_Region.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

It would also have infinitely more interesting coastal areas than anything out there so far, where the programmability of anti-ship and cruise missiles would come into play more. Or at least with a modern setting — Normandy and The Channels have a few fun estuaries, deep harbours, and archipelagos where those weapons could get a bit of a workout, but those maps are also highly unsuited for the planes that carry those weapons. The Baltic and North Sea coasts would offer something similar with better provisions for modern airframes.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

OK but balkans has the aircraft carrier :clap_2:

True, a Germany map doesn't lend itself as well to carrier operations, it's lends itself to littoral/amphibious warfare.

But for everything else though? IMO it's the best.

System: