FM - vertical speed in turns. Neutral pedal v slight input.

Frusheen

I see the roll issue you are discussing now with SAS and APs off. The chopper maintains a roll unless a little jab (from centre) in the opposite direction is applied to counteract the continued Roll and then it holds its roll position with a slight drift in either direction.

Small jabs left and right help maintain a more precise roll angle... interesting.

Seems to be stable~ish in a pulling turn with pedals.

I always use the APs so I could not replicate this originaly.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Applies to the pitch too... requires a lot of man input.

I like it!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

APs & SAS on or not... she corners like a demon!

I cannot replicate the original posters problems.

She turns like a goddess.... clean, tight and the nose fit for intent.

I agree with 0xDEADBEEF that the nose rise and drop with the collective would indeed be a very handy thing in a turn.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

• 4 weeks later...

The only issue I have with the flight model is that in forward flight and in a turn initiated by a roll, the aircraft slips (the ball swings towards the turn) unless you add a little pedal into the turn.

That is, the yaw axis resists the turn, which is uncharacteristic of a helicopter, at least the ones I flew; especially with a helicopter with such a large vertical stabilizer. The resistance to yaw reminds me of flying RC helicopters with a yaw gyro: to turn in forward flight, you have to add pedal along with roll.

BTW, I like flying the Gazelle with autopilot/SAS off.

[quote name=

BTW, I like flying the Gazelle with autopilot/SAS off.[/quote]

I use it with SAS/gyro off.

Try it, see what you think.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The only issue I have with the flight model is that in forward flight and in a turn initiated by a roll, the aircraft slips (the ball swings towards the turn) unless you add a little pedal into the turn.

That is, the yaw axis resists the turn, which is uncharacteristic of a helicopter, at least the ones I flew; especially with a helicopter with such a large vertical stabilizer. The resistance to yaw reminds me of flying RC helicopters with a yaw gyro: to turn in forward flight, you have to add pedal along with roll.

BTW, I like flying the Gazelle with autopilot/SAS off.

Interesting... what choppers do you fly or have flown, this is not an argumentative question, I am just curious?

Generally, as a simmer and especially in DCS, I always toe in a little yaw into the turn. My Yaw into the turn was a habit that came from the Kamov... the king of Yaw and a simple must for manoeuvrability... indeed yaw, collective and cyclic are equal here.

As a consequence I do this with all helicopter modules in DCS in order to balance the turn during a rolling curve. But I should note that I do not chase the ball... I chase the VVI and horizontal speed indicator and nothing else... Once both dial positions are satisfied (no speed loss and VVI in level flight), I do tend to find the ball is roughly correct... good enough for me any how.

So as standard I am rolling into the turn with the pedal in to the manoeuvre.

Indeed, with reading what little there is in explaining the flight characteristics of the gazelle, I do note that she loves a touch of yaw into the turn.

I will try it your way next flight... a roll into the turn only with horizontal attitude held and I guess no pull.

BTW, I guess I always flew the gazelle SAS and APS on and I love her like this. Why do you like it APS and SAS off?

For sure I liked the blades moving back to neutral (stick to centre) whilst in the turn and all other manoeuvre's required the blades to be off set (stick movement) from that neutral position to achieve a different attitude.

Is this normal for a free live chopper?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

By the way Goggles your answer in the this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174696

Was perfectly balanced, a true realization of what we can do right now and what we cannot yet.... It seems to be a rare and desperately needed ability in these forums.

"I flew the Hughes 500C for a little while a long time ago. The most it would fly hands off after trimming it was about 10 seconds. I hear that the MD-500D with the T-tail can fly hands off for much longer, like minutes".

Well! "show off statements" like this is just making me like you more and more! :D

Interesting... what choppers do you fly or have flown, this is not an argumentative question, I am just curious?

Generally, as a simmer and especially in DCS, I always toe in a little yaw into the turn. My Yaw into the turn was a habit that came from the Kamov... the king of Yaw and a simple must for manoeuvrability... indeed yaw, collective and cyclic are equal here.

As a consequence I do this with all helicopter modules in DCS in order to balance the turn during a rolling curve. But I should note that I do not chase the ball... I chase the VVI and horizontal speed indicator and nothing else... Once both dial positions are satisfied (no speed loss and VVI in level flight), I do tend to find the ball is roughly correct... good enough for me any how.

So as standard I am rolling into the turn with the pedal in to the manoeuvre.

Indeed, with reading what little there is in explaining the flight characteristics of the gazelle, I do note that she loves a touch of yaw into the turn.

I will try it your way next flight... a roll into the turn only with horizontal attitude held and I guess no pull.

BTW, I guess I always flew the gazelle SAS and APS on and I love her like this. Why do you like it APS and SAS off?

For sure I liked the blades moving back to neutral (stick to centre) whilst in the turn and all other manoeuvre's required the blades to be off set (stick movement) from that neutral position to achieve a different attitude.

Is this normal for a free live chopper?

I flew Bell 47G4A, Hughes 500C, Bell 206B and Bell 205, the latter 2 only 25 and 70 hours. The first 2 about 500 hours each. I won't get into all the Airbus and Boeing time I have.

It's been 4 decades ago, but I do not recall ever having to add pedal in a turn at cruise. Once the pedals are set at a steady cruise speed, a roll into a turn does not need pedal. It could be that the Gazelle has different flying characteristics, and that's why I suggested elsewhere an opinion from someone who has actually flown one. But with such a large fin, I think it unlikely that it's required.

What is annoying with the FM, is having to recenter the pedals using the ball and streamer after completing a turn, since unlike an airplane, the pedals don't center themselves in a helicopter: i.e. there is no pedal (aka rudder) trim.

BTW, the simulation is really good at giving me the same perspective and feel of doing an approach as the real thing.