Should I get Warthog stick with FSSB R3 mod, Gunfighter, or Mongoose?

I’d say the gunfighter is best for harrier. The mongoost isn’t bad, but IMO there isn’t any reason to pick it over the gunfighter.

The exception is of course, if you particularly want to use a different grip, as the mongoost requires adaptors.

Negative! The MongoosT-50 base is directly compatible with the TM WH grip. No adapter of any kind required. I use that combination: T-50 base and TM WH grip with all airplanes and I'm extremely happy.

Previously I used the TM WH stick base and grip, and I also used the VKB Gladiator Pro. The Gladiator actually requires an adapter if you want to use a TM WH grip with it, and that adapter needs to be installed inside the TM WH grip, which makes the grip incompatible with the TM WH base.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Negative! The MongoosT-50 base is directly compatible with the TM WH grip. No adapter of any kind required. I use that combination: T-50 base and TM WH grip with all airplanes and I'm extremely happy.

Previously I used the TM WH stick base and grip, and I also used the VKB Gladiator Pro. The Gladiator actually requires an adapter if you want to use a TM WH grip with it, and that adapter needs to be installed inside the TM WH grip, which makes the grip incompatible with the TM WH base.

So sorry, was writing on mobile! Will correct my post.

Edit:// did you mean VKB base in your last sentence?

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel

Edit:// did you mean VKB base in your last sentence?

No. Let me restate:

VKB sells a "Warthog Adapter for Gladiator Pro Joystick" (I'm sure because I bought one which in the end I did not install). This adapter is installed inside the TM WH grip, so that the TM WH grip can be used with the VKB base. But now the grip is no longer a true TM WH grip, and therefore it's no longer compatible with the TM WH base.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

My mother once called a Mongoose a Gladiator in front of me.

Just once.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

No. Let me restate:

VKB sells a "Warthog Adapter for Gladiator Pro Joystick" (I'm sure because I bought one which in the end I did not install). This adapter is installed inside the TM WH grip, so that the TM WH grip can be used with the VKB base. But now the grip is no longer a true TM WH grip, and therefore it's no longer compatible with the TM WH base.

I really need to stop messaging on here using my mobile. Sorry again!

I’d say the gunfighter is best for harrier. The mongoost isn’t bad, but IMO there isn’t any reason to pick it over the gunfighter.

The exception is of course, if you particularly want to use a different grip, as the mongoost gunfighter requires adaptors.

If looking at bases only...the VPC MT-50 base handles the weight of the Warthog grip much better than the VKB Gunfighter Pro, as well.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I really need to stop messaging on here using my mobile. Sorry again!

Well....okay.

Just this once.:music_whistling:

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

What would you say makes one stick better than another with controlling the Harrier (just assuming I'm not supposed to land it by ramming it into the ground)? I'm not sure of exactly what I'm doing wrong, but aside from needing lots of practice, I'm sure that this $20 Microsoft Sidewinder lacks some sort or another of needed finesse and precision. I seem to be violently alternating between too much and too little input.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Don't want to open a new thread, can someone compare the warthog stick + extension with the vpc T-50 base / warthog stick? Are the differences really so big? And also, since I have an old hotas cougar, would you suggest to buy the T-50 base and use it with the cougar stock stick? Do they work flawlessy? I'm considering to go this road, and buy later the TM hornet stick (i'm assuming that it will be compatible with the T-50 base, right?) and the T-50 throttle.

What would you say makes one stick better than another with controlling the Harrier (just assuming I'm not supposed to land it by ramming it into the ground)? I'm not sure of exactly what I'm doing wrong, but aside from needing lots of practice, I'm sure that this $20 Microsoft Sidewinder lacks some sort or another of needed finesse and precision. I seem to be violently alternating between too much and too little input.

There are two aspects: the mechanical (how the stick moves) and electrical (how are the stick movements detected).

I’m not sure what the sidewinder uses for sensors, but worst case it’s a physically moved sensor like a potentiometer. They can wear, leading to inaccuracy and even spiking. Most good sticks these days use some sort of contactless sensor, with excellent accuracy and precision, and there’s not much to choose between them.

The biggest differences now tend to be mechanical. I will compare the the TM warthog with the T50 (the VKB is similar in operation to the T50 also).

The warthog is a great example of how NOT to do things. Its gimbal is a ball and socket joint made of plastic. Other than some grease, there’s nothing to stop the ball and socket rubbing against each other, making fine movement impossible. Moving the stick in any direction moves a plastic collar, which in turn compresses a single spring. Not only does this force the ball against the socket, making the sticking worse, but you also get a coupling between pitch and roll because they don’t have independent springs.

Here’s a photo: https://m.imgur.com/SqKAIox

The T50 does it right, with X and Y axis each having their own separate gimbals, using proper bearings and dedicated springs. So much smoother. Moving the stick causes a roller to push on a curved cam, which in turn compress against a spring. Not only is this smooth, but you can get different force profiles by changing the cam shape. The T50 comes with 3 different cams. The image below shows the VKB because the cams are easier to see, but the T50 works in a similar way.

80a51659a1745be93fa7ff8c4581ab72cf21ee1a.jpg

Don't want to open a new thread, can someone compare the warthog stick + extension with the vpc T-50 base / warthog stick? Are the differences really so big? And also, since I have an old hotas cougar, would you suggest to buy the T-50 base and use it with the cougar stock stick? Do they work flawlessy? I'm considering to go this road, and buy later the TM hornet stick (i'm assuming that it will be compatible with the T-50 base, right?) and the T-50 throttle.

Cougar grip is directly compatible with T50, yes. There is a good chance the TM hornet grip will also be directly compatible too, although I can’t tell you that 100% as it’s not been released yet.

The warthog (base) is trash. The T50 is much better, for the reasons I’ve described above. Hope this helps!

By the way; I wrote to Thrustmaster, and they told me they couldn't sell me a stick unless I could send them a copy of my receipt, with a serial number, for a broken flight stick (entire unit).

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

When I first got the T50 and compared it to the Warhog, I thought that it would be hard to get used to the lighter weight of the T50, but after using it, I actually prefer the feel now to the Warthog. I wish the thumb switch was a 5 way, but other than than, I have nothing but praise for it so far. Maybe they'll make a retrofit switch for the thumb position...