Introducing the new Logitech X56 HOTAS

LOGIRich

I don't really have SST anymore so can't try as I switched to TM Target, but IIRC, the advanced mode had press, repeat and release columns. So, did you put this Alt-; combo in the repeat column?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 year later...
Hello, I’m considering picking up the X56. Any thoughts? I’m at the point now where I want a HOTAS stick and throttle but I’m not about to stump up $1k for a warthog.

what are users thoughts please?

You do get what you pay for with Virpil and VKP, etc..

However, I did purchase a brand new X56 HOTAS ON SALE, Directly from Logitech, before wearing a mask became a fashion statement. Lol.

There are plenty of reviews, videos and discussion on the X56. Here are some bullet points that are based on my experience.

1. It is a great value if you can get it on sale or find one listed at an MSRP of USD 249.00
  2. If you are comfortable making physical modifications, you can turn the HOTAS from an OK system to a surprisingly good one.
  3. If you have average or smaller hands, you will have trouble reaching all the buttons and hats on the stick. (make a thicker palm rest with clay, foam, 3D Printer, etc.. )
  4. Out of the Box, the HOTAS Throttle can be too hard to move because of the special friction grease used inside. (Do a YouTube search on
    ) FYI: Save the grease by placing it on another part of the base away from the blades and wires. You will see a good spot once you take the throttle apart.
  5. I recommend the Spring Mod for the X56 Flight Stick. If you remove the single mainspring and replace it with 4, you get a stick that centers and feels more precise when moving away from the center.
  6. For any buttons that are hard to reach or feel when pressing, I got some SUGRU and moulded it onto the Trimmer Hat, Weapons Release and other buttons to get more depth and feel. Sugru can be removed with a knife and rag.
  7. The Slider on the throttle is misunderstood. It functions like a 2 position toggle switch. To use it properly as an Airbrake you must use the provided Logitech software and set it up with "Quantize Time" options. I did not want to use the software for Airbrakes so found out how to do it by editing a DCS module joystick Default.lua. Here is a link to User Files Downloads that gives examples for a few planes: X56 Speed Brake Slider - FA18, F16, A10C, F14, JF17, AV8B. I learned from that Mod and made similar fixes for all the other planes that I own.
  8. If I had the money, I would buy the premium HOTAS, but for now, I am much happier with my X56 when compared to the now-dead X52 that I got from Kajiji 5 years ago! If I charged myself for the time I took to research and complete these mods the stick would have cost 3 times more! :lol:

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 2 weeks later...

10-27-2020, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by nick10 View Post

Hello, I’m considering picking up the X56. Any thoughts? I’m at the point now where I want a HOTAS stick and throttle but I’m not about to stump up $1k for a warthog.

what are users thoughts please?

You do get what you pay for with Virpil and VKP, etc..

However, I did purchase a brand new X56 HOTAS ON SALE, Directly from Logitech, before wearing a mask became a fashion statement. Lol.

There are plenty of reviews, videos and discussion on the X56. Here are some bullet points that are based on my experience.

1. It is a great value if you can get it on sale or find one listed at an MSRP of USD 249.00
  2. If you are comfortable making physical modifications, you can turn the HOTAS from an OK system to a surprisingly good one.
  3. If you have average or smaller hands, you will have trouble reaching all the buttons and hats on the stick. (make a thicker palm rest with clay, foam, 3D Printer, etc.. )
  4. Out of the Box, the HOTAS Throttle can be too hard to move because of the special friction grease used inside. (Do a YouTube search on
    ) FYI: Save the grease by placing it on another part of the base away from the blades and wires. You will see a good spot once you take the throttle apart.
  5. I recommend the Spring Mod for the X56 Flight Stick. If you remove the single mainspring and replace it with 4, you get a stick that centers and feels more precise when moving away from the center.
  6. For any buttons that are hard to reach or feel when pressing, I got some SUGRU and moulded it onto the Trimmer Hat, Weapons Release and other buttons to get more depth and feel. Sugru can be removed with a knife and rag.
  7. The Slider on the throttle is misunderstood. It functions like a 2 position toggle switch. To use it properly as an Airbrake you must use the provided Logitech software and set it up with "Quantize Time" options. I did not want to use the software for Airbrakes so found out how to do it by editing a DCS module joystick Default.lua. Here is a link to User Files Downloads that gives examples for a few planes: X56 Speed Brake Slider - FA18, F16, A10C, F14, JF17, AV8B. I learned from that Mod and made similar fixes for all the other planes that I own.
  8. If I had the money, I would buy the premium HOTAS, but for now, I am much happier with my X56 when compared to the now-dead X52 that I got from Kajiji 5 years ago! If I charged myself for the time I took to research and complete these mods the stick would have cost 3 times more!

#4 I left the grease and it got easier with use.

#5 Excellent mod, improves the stick to highest quality control and totally removes centre slop and no need for dead zone. I used Home Depot sku# 127107 Model # 311-626|Store SKU # 1000127107 Paulin 7/16 X 3 1/8E Utility Spring

#7 I used to use the software quantize but this mod is better, removes interference with system key stokes when 'out of focus'.

Well done:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:11 PM, Mower said:

So, advisable purchase when I cant afford a thousand dollar warthog?

I suggest stay clear of X56.  This among many review pointing out its issues.  The spring centering mechanism "looks" like good idea.  Not in practice.

In sub $400 range, VKB Gladator NXT and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle seems to be best option.  Or wait for VKB TECS Throttle.

Edited by Taz1004

good review, brother, as a Cougar user that got 20 years from it, and it has a force sensing mod, I lean heavily to the Warthog but the prices are hideously bloated and supply short.  You are talking me out of the x56, maybe not a bad thing.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this because I'm wondering if there's any way to add more resistance to the 4-way thumb switches on the side of the throttle?  They are a bit vague or sloppy feeling and I keep hitting dogfight override (F-16) when reaching for the other switches.

Also wouldn't mind modding the thumb stick on the stick to be just a button.  It literally is just my view center button and does nothing else.  It would be more usable and comfortable for me to get rid of the analog stick and just have the button left.