Frustrated. - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
You use for a such "non-FF + non-Spring" option. That means as you don't have Force Feedback nor spring force to center or move your cyclic, you just trim to tell Autopilot/Channels that you just trimmed there.
the huey has no autopilot channels..
so you press trim just to hear the click
or you don't press it at all, one of my bad habits.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #22
dotChuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencible View Post
DotChuckles - There are several trim settings available for the Huey in the settings page and I'm not sure which one is meant for use with a self-centring joystick. I use a special joystick with weakened centring spring for the Huey - to spare my arm on long flights but I can't decide which trim option is really meant to be used with that sort of set-up. I would like your advice on which setting to use.
So the other suggestions are totally valid, and a lot of this comes down to your equipment. I would say you want to use the central position trimming mode if you have any kind of spring. That way when you trim and return to center you have no forces acting on the stick at all, which is how it would feel in the real machine.

In reality what trimming would do is engage a magnetic brake to remove the forces from the stick. When you are trimmed you should be able to move the stick with finger tip pressure. Now unless you have force feedback or no springs at all or a stick that has equal force throughout the range you will need to center it after trimming.

With center trim mode, the stick input is switched off until you recenter the stick, as opposed to the default mode which just waits a short while and then re-enables the controls. I find the center trim function to be better as the time the default mode waits is pretty short and I might not have centered the stick fully leading to a bump in the pitch or roll of the helo as the controls "turn back on". However center position mode can be fiddly if you have weak springs that don't let you feel where the exact center of the stick is.

Ultimately, what ever works for you and lets you trim properly and not have to apply constant force. Having to apply constant force it what will make for poor control. Your mileage may vary though.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #23
John Hargreaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3d1 View Post
Guys, have a bit of a problem here. Any ideas ?? Thank you so much for reading.
Best thing I ever did for flying helicopters was to buy an Oculus Rift, makes it considerably easier as it becomes much more realistic and 'three-dimensional'. The rest you can figure out through trial and error, because crashing helicopters in DCS causes no pain or death.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #24
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
Best thing I ever did for flying helicopters was to buy an Oculus Rift, makes it considerably easier as it becomes much more realistic and 'three-dimensional'. The rest you can figure out through trial and error, because crashing helicopters in DCS causes no pain or death.
MMM I don't know, the first few times you crash in VR can be interesting.

If you have some basic mechanical skills you can try and make your own cyclic, this is a hack of a logitech 3D pro, you also really need to use something like a Leo Bodnar interface as from what I have seen most (if not all) "joysticks" also feature a small electrical dead spot in the electronics to mask the mechanical centering.

From Frag Labs

Oh and of courses I don't need to use trim.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.

Last edited by FragBum; 06-13-2018 at 10:34 PM.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #25
John Hargreaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
MMM I don't know, the first few times you crash in VR can be interesting.

I think the way that you float up to heaven after you crash is pretty cool though.

Removing the big centre spring from the warthog joystick made quite a difference too. There is still a light centring effect from the other four small springs, but it's much more gentle.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #26
Quadg

the first time you crash and it knocks you out. and you spend eternity trapped in a sensory deprivation tank ie a black world.

because not even ctrl-alt-delete will free you.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #27
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
I think the way that you float up to heaven after you crash is pretty cool though.

Well I'm in trouble then,.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #28
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
nice white out!

not seen that on the other maps.