Real Life Dreamers

Infiltrator

Seriously, all the fantasists on the coms in missions claiming to have been real life fighter pilots need to stop it. It's embarrassing. It takes like seconds for those of us who are let's just say saavy to know when we're speaking to real life fighter pilots and those who are Walters. I'm sure the fantasists know all there is to know about the aircraft they're claiming to have flown, but they'll always be caught out by someone who know their stuff on the aircraft's history.

From the mere intonnation of their voice you know when you're talking to a Walter. Please, do not claim to have driven a fighter aircraft in life if you haven't because no matter how much you think you know about the aircraft you'll be busted in the end. Enjoy the sim and be grafeful to have the opportunity to experience as close as it gets to how it feels to drive the aircraft you drool over.

This isn't a post to name and shame, but merely some friendly advice to save 'everyone' from embarrassment.

Corsair 500D SE|Corsair AX1600i|Windows 11 Pro 64Bit|Intel i9-12900K 3.2Ghz@stock|Gigabyte Master Z690|Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|Gigabyte Vision RTX 3090| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR5 5600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 970 NVMe TB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals|Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| F/A18-C Grip|HP Reverb 2|Logitech Lightspeed 502|Logitech Z906 5.1

That's one of the reasons why I prefer Single Player DCS :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

«Well, the joke's on you, because both of my dads are Navy SEALS!»

:megalol:

Corsair 500D SE|Corsair AX1600i|Windows 11 Pro 64Bit|Intel i9-12900K 3.2Ghz@stock|Gigabyte Master Z690|Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|Gigabyte Vision RTX 3090| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR5 5600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 970 NVMe TB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals|Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| F/A18-C Grip|HP Reverb 2|Logitech Lightspeed 502|Logitech Z906 5.1

One of my favorites was a guy telling me his dad was an airline pilot and said that planes didn't "stall this easy"........ what airliners have to do with fighter planes, I have no idea, but it was a pretty damn stupid thing to say.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

So what is the problem?

It is self imposed delusion in order for us to see them in a position of authority.

They are probably younger individuals trying to find out who they really are.

It is simple confidence/self esteem issue.In time ,it will pass.

Edited by Void78

So what is the problem?

It is self imposed delusion in order for us to see them in a position of authority.

Errr.... No. I'm ex-military and you'll be surprised how many 'older' people claim to have served only to be busted. I know an ex-soldier when I see and speak to one and I know a Walter. I've seen people in the US mooching around in military valour pretending to have served in war zones only to be busted by vets who have served and who know their sh#t. These people are fantasists of all ages. This isn't exclusively an age related behavior.

Errr.... No. I'm ex-military and you'll be surprised how many 'older' people claim to have served only to be busted. I know an ex-soldier when I see and speak to one and I know a Walter. I've seen people in the US mooching around in military valour pretending to have served in war zones only to be busted by vets who have served and who know their sh#t. These people are fantasists of all ages. This isn't exclusively an age related behavior.

They are not accomplished individuals with self esteem issues.Least you should do is point them out.

Just nod,and agree,even if you know they are full of it.No need to add more cracks to something that is broken.

That is my view anyway,but you do as you will.

So what is the problem?

Search stolen valor on YouTube. Many of them are not young at all. This is a major issue in my mind and should be addressed whenever it is discovered. I never served but my parents are buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Search stolen valor on YouTube. Many of them are not young at all. This is a major issue in my mind and should be addressed whenever it is discovered. I never served but my parents are buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Stolen valor is completely another ball game.

It should not go unchecked. Recently in USA there was someone impersonating a police officer and trying to arrest people. It's also a federal crime to claim certain military decorations because imposters will sometimes try get discounts or some other monetary benefit, loans, property, etc.

It should not go unchecked. Recently in USA there was someone impersonating a police officer and trying to arrest people. It's also a federal crime to claim certain military decorations because imposters will sometimes try get discounts or some other monetary benefit, loans, property, etc.

Exactly.

But when one drunken dude is calming he served,wherever,is another thing.

One thing is criminal offense,and another is dufus being dufus.

Exactly.

Is this something you used to do? You're very defensive about this?

Edited by Dakota

You presume way too much.I just don't judge people so easily as most of you do.

And your ad hominem argument i find pretty offensive.

Well, I'm prior military, and I find it offensive when someone pretends they are when they're not. And ad hom argument? I'm not "debating" here. I asked a question in a non-confrontational manner and you become pompous and arrogant about it. You're not so perfect either.

Good bye.

Edited by Dakota

Exactly.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Being drunk while claiming to be a current OR FORMER member of the military is also bad.

Because this drunk is now advertising to everyone there that his behavior is how members of the military behave. Even though it's FALSE. So maybe that drunk gets into a fight. Maybe he actually permanently hurts someone. And all the witnesses say "oh geez, is this how veterans and serving military behave?".

It causes people to question whether veterans should be feared, or disrespected. Maybe as a result they decide not to hire veterans, or whatever other profession is being falsified.

Why is it that so many people feel it's ok to pretend they are veterans, yet they don't go around pretending to be doctors or lawyers, or accountants? At least if they pretended to be politicians, their lies might give them some authenticity! :lol:

But no, I don't care if someone is sober or drunk, if you pretend you are something you are not, and it's not an obvious joke, then that person doesn't deserve respect, and is harming the reputations of all those who DO actually have the careers. And in some countries, the difference can be MASSIVE in how the public treats us, it's NOT HARMLESS. :mad:

Three times I've come across liars that claimed to be US NAVY SEALs. In all three cases, I knew within 5 minutes that they were lying. I was never a SEAL or specops, or USN, or even American. But I knew more about the SEALs and their history in the 1980's than most people know of the Teams even today. And I had served for a decade in the Canadian Army. It doesn't take long, to sort out the people who probably actually did the job, vs even a knowledgeable liar. I'd just ask them two easy questions, then a difficult one, then I'd ask them questions that would make or break them. And in all three cases I knew they never served a day in any Navy, any military at all. Doubtful they were even a Boy Scout!

Anyone ever seen the movie "Ronin"? DeNiro and Jean Reno, John Frankenheimer directing? It's a hidden gem of an action movie. But in it, there's a scene, where the mercenaries are all meeting each other for the second time, and the American operator suddenly has cause to wonder if the British operator was... actually a real former SAS operator or a fake. The American operator figures it out in two minutes, even without even knowing the actual answer to the question he asks Sean Bean, who in this movie plays a "wannabe fake" that they kick out.

Professional pilots, it'd be the same thing: able to spot a fake from a 10km away! The problem is, the general public doesn't even consider that someone may be lying about their past, but will form lifelong opinions about entire groups of people based on the one liar's actions. And that's just wrong.

Edited by Rick50

It's funny how many "ex Army" guys are SF, Ranger, and Delta. I was coming out of the range to pay when the guy behind the counter said "nice shooting, where'd you learn?" I said "I was in the Army" and of course the guy says "really? I was a Ranger" [since he already failed the first test I decided to have a little fun] So I did my standard test. "Oh really, which Batt were you with?" And the guy says "2nd Battalion" And I say "Or right, you guys were in Hunter right?" And he says "yeah, we were..."

BUSTED.

The thing about the military is that it is *SO* full of jargon that unless you've served, you will *not* get it right. There is no document that tells you all the little things that just becomes part of you. And that's just in the Infantry.

And I remember when we had CAS class and the FACs (now called JTACs) were talking to F16 pilots. It was like they were talking in a foreign language.

So I would agree with Infiltrator. You can spot a fake just by the way they say Hooah wrong. Or "high speed" or not knowing what "PMCS" is or saying "over an out" So don't be a fake. Also, if someone says they are ex-Army, and they are riding shotgun in your car, and they don't say "clear right" as you're making a left turn, they are a fake :D

My other litmus test for the Army is "what was that, you know, 1st general order? Do you remember?" LOL

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Exactly.

Where you served is *very* different than "who you served with"

Saying you were at Bragg may be "ok" but saying that you were with The Unit, Ranger batt, or SF is no different than stolen valor.

I remember in my IOBC class, a classmate had all these awards sown onto the ....er.... his bag. Let's leave it at that in this rabid PC culture. :D

And I said "dude, are you insane? You're walking around Benning with all those badges on your ...[beep]...bag?" And he says, "I have to rip it all out, but I have to wait until my fiance leaves. She did it for me as a gift." And I told him go to the PX, get another [beep]bag and keep the other in the trunk. And swap it out when you go back to your BOQ. Problem solved.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Oh, and it's also REALLY easy to create "question traps", where every liar simply can't answer the question properly... they can't even get it onto the right grid square!! The funny part is when they think they tricked you, you see them smirk... and then you drop a JDAM of truth on em, and suddenly they wanna be anywhere else because they now know they got caught!