How do I use the speedbrake?

Crunchy

I just did my controller setup using Chucks F18 guide, so my speed brake is on my Warhog Hotas throttle and shows as working when I click it in the DCS controller settings. However, if I engage it in the sim in the air the F18 doesn't slow down at all? I take it that the speed brake is used to slow you down while in the air, but it doesn't work for me? Am I missing something here? Any help would be really appreciated because it makes the sim unplayable for me with the speed brake working. Cheers!

I have mine on the top grey switch on the right side of the throttle. Rear position must be held or it flops back to the center so I use that for deploying the brake. Forward position the switch will stay there w/o holding it so that is retract speed brake.

I have mine on the top grey switch on the right side of the throttle.

Also known as the speedbrake switch.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I do wish this and the 16 had a toggle airbrake switch. I hate wasting a two position switch on my throttle for the brakes.

I don't... two position prevents confusion.

If it is such a big issue for your set up, free up your buttons by using key commands on the keyboard.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 1 year later...

I want to configure the speedbrake as follows:

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes up

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes down

- push a button once, and it closes.

I wanted to use the following controls for that:

image.png

For EXTEND/LShift + B it works like a charm (I push and it extends as long as I push the 4 way button in that direction, if I stop pushing, it stops extending).

For RETRAC/LCtrl + BT it works like an OFF function (I press once and it goes all the way in. The only way to prevent it going in completely is to push EXTEND).

OFF/B doesn't work at all, I press the button and the speedbrake stays out.

Buttons tested via Virpil test tool & button confirmed working in DCS Controls.

I would expect EXTEND and RETRACT to work similar but opposite of each other (keyboard controls seem to suggest too). But they don't, which seems like a bug. 

Example which should be possible (in my opinion): 

I want to break real fast to get into an advantage and Extend my airbreak to 90% by using RETRACT, then I slowed done almost enough and I want to be able to bring it down to f.i. 30%. When I am in the right speed, I want to push OFF (one click) and it retracts completely.

Like the electric window of a car.

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

23 minutes ago, Double Dutch said:

I want to configure the speedbrake as follows:

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes up

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes down

- push a button once, and it closes.

I wanted to use the following controls for that:

image.png

For EXTEND/LShift + B it works like a charm (I push and it extends as long as I push the 4 way button in that direction, if I stop pushing, it stops extending).

For RETRAC/LCtrl + BT it works like an OFF function (I press once and it goes all the way in. The only way to prevent it going in completely is to push EXTEND).

OFF/B doesn't work at all, I press the button and the speedbrake stays out.

Buttons tested via Virpil test tool & button confirmed working in DCS Controls.

I would expect EXTEND and RETRACT to work similar but opposite of each other (keyboard controls seem to suggest too). But they don't, which seems like a bug. 

I want to break real fast to get into an advantage and Extend my airbreak to 90% by using RETRACT, then I slowed done almost enough and I want to be able to bring it down to f.i. 30%. When I am in the right speed, I want to push OFF (one click) and it retracts completely.

Will you be asking this question in wishlist and missions sub forums too? 

2 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

retract is close and extend is open. i do not believe it is possible to hold the button to open the brake and when released it closes. all i know is open slowly and close slowly.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 5/31/2021 at 10:59 PM, silverdevil said:

retract is close and extend is open. i do not believe it is possible to hold the button to open the brake and when released it closes. all i know is open slowly and close slowly.

EXTEND works like you have to press and hold to open speed brake. if you release it, it will stay there.

RETRACT closes the speed brake with a single button press.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, Double Dutch said:

Your opinion is not going to change what is already realistic functionality.

If you want the speedbrake to behave differently, you'll have to figure out how to do it with your joystick's software or a third-party alternative. What you need is when pressing the 'retract' button for longer than a quick tap (0.2 seconds?), releasing it sends a brief 'extend' command. That should stop the retraction and hold it in position. Am sure it could be scripted with Thrustmaster's TARGET for example.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals