Rift s $70 off boxing day deal. Would you buy it?

Gogojuice

New to VR. Trying a friends Rift CV1 and I enjoy the experience.

I don't want to spend $1300+ for a vr system yet...

So..my questions are:

1. Would you buy a rift s in today's market and why or why not? In Canada the cost is 479 or 378 USD.

Thanks in advance

My specs are

2700x

32GB ram

2080ti

DCS on NVME drive

So..my questions are:

1. Would you buy a rift s in today's market and why or why not? In Canada the cost is 479 or 378 USD.

Thanks in advance

My specs are

2700x

32GB ram

2080ti

DCS on NVME drive

Oh heck yeah!

Rift S is a great kit and performance about on par with Rift CV1. Much better image clarity.

Audio strap is not very good though , I use earbuds in the Rift S headphone jack and sound is great with them.

Been using my Rift S since May on pretty much a daily basis and love it.

One note though - I am not familiar with the 2700x and how it might perform with DCS in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have bought mine full price, no regrets.

Use it almost everyday.

And I have the cv1, Vive 1, and a pimax 5k.

Out of those I choose to use the S.

I also got a quest, that I later sold to my nephew.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

It is a great headset . Much less SDE than the CV1 , and a greater bump in resolution than the specs imply . I find it quite comfortable as well . And the Oculus software just works , without the endless tweaking/tuning that other headsets require .

The audio is abysmal , but there are at least 3 solutions for that , so not a real problem , but a small additional expense .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Never owned a VR headset before the Rift-S so i can't compare but i don't regret buying it and would do it again. I really had a WOW effect the first time i used it. It's a bit tricky on USB specs creating sometimes connection problems where the headset isn't recognized directly but then that's the only thing and there are workarounds for that.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Never owned a VR headset before the Rift-S so i can't compare but i don't regret buying it and would do it again. I really had a WOW effect the first time i used it. It's a bit tricky on USB specs creating sometimes connection problems where the headset isn't recognized directly but then that's the only thing and there are workarounds for that.

Yeah , i initially tried plugging mine into the Innatech board i previously installed for the CV1 , but S wasn't recognised . No problem with my motherboard usb though .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you want to use it for DCS (i.e. for that purpose only) no, get a Reverb instead.

The Rift S is a great device but for DCS it's not the best available option.

If you're looking for a VR headset to have fun and play other games, go for it.

Keep in mind that you most likely need some extra cash for a usable audio solution.

Stock Rift S audio is.....well, not worth saying.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

If you want to use it for DCS (i.e. for that purpose only) no, get a Reverb instead.

The Rift S is a great device but for DCS it's not the best available option.

If you're looking for a VR headset to have fun and play other games, go for it.

Keep in mind that you most likely need some extra cash for a usable audio solution.

Stock Rift S audio is.....well, not worth saying.

Keep in mind OP owns a 2080ti so spending around $30-20 for decent wired earbuds is not going to hurt at all.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Keep in mind OP owns a 2080ti so spending around $30-20 for decent wired earbuds is not going to hurt at all.

Sound is awesome with wired earbuds, I love using them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

uhm, okay. And what exactly do you want to tell us?

The need for decent audio makes the Rift S more expensive and hence the distance in price to the Reverb smaller.

I own both a Rift S and a Reverb and for DCS the Reverb just is the much better solution.

Generally for anything where readibility (resolution) is important the Reverb is the right choice.

Saying that, for anything else but that the Rift S is the better device.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Thanks for all the input. I'll be ok if I need to get some earbuds :P

Really interesting to see peoples opinions that would buy it again.

I'm hoping to enjoy the VR, but am cognizant that VR appears to be a bit in the infancy stages and probably will be developing at a rapid pace making whatever I get obsolete.

Just like all our other computer parts.

Happy New Years everyone

The need for decent audio makes the Rift S more expensive and hence the distance in price to the Reverb smaller.

that´s a very particular point of view, we are talking about a small % of the final pricetag.

OP asked why not buying Rift S, no point stating Reverb is a better device.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

So..my questions are:

Thanks in advance

My specs are

2700x

32GB ram

2080ti

DCS on NVME drive

I bought one on Boxing Day and having a blast. So far just single player getting used to it. Of course there are more expensive headsets out there but the rift S is more than enough to start with. I don’t even mind the sound out of the headset either. It’s not as bad as I imagined after hearing so much about it.

I just use my headphones over the Rift, works good.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

that´s a very particular point of view, we are talking about a small % of the final pricetag.

OP asked why not buying Rift S, no point stating Reverb is a better device.

you either didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.

I'll be ok if I need to get some earbuds :P

if you need to buy some - there is a great solution using a Koss Porta Pro with the Rift S.

Requires a 3D printer to make the mounts, though.

I'm using that solution with the Rift S, best audio I've had so far in VR. And very comfy to wear!

you either didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.

Yeah that could be right too, apparently I don´t get what your last 3 sentences mean, blame New Years Eve celebrations.

Same for audio.

I don't know anyone interested in decent audio that would consider the cv1 or reverb solution anywhere near decent anyways. So like with the cv1 or vive, or pimax.

Om just using my regular gaming cans, I mostly use a pair of wireless g533, not good audio, but ok, and comfortable.

Also tested with a pair of Kingston hyper-x etc.

All no problem fitting over the S. Just expand the band a little, and place the left cup first so it comes under the cable.

The only HMD I would expect to have ok audio out of the box would probably be the Index.

What I would consider as a bit more important and half the reason I'm staying with oculus is the software and dash.

It's just miles beyond Steamvr in user-friendly ui and the closest you get to a hassle free VR experience.

It's sad you have to go Facebook for that, but steamvr has been stuck at it's inception in terms of ui, oculus has been polishing dash for years now and Valve hasn't even solved bugs I noticed on day 1 of owning a pre-order Vive 1.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I picked one up. Wont be hear for a while, but I got the price.

Thanks for all the help.

Borrowing a CV1 now.. so I can't wait to see the difference :)

:thumbup:

It will be nice.

Don B