Landing the F18 without using stick

FoxxyTrotty

Have you noticed in landing config the F18 - when trimmed out - keeps a perfect angle of attack if you don't touch the stick?

Have you noticed, you can steer the F18 by giving 1 engine more power than the other?

Have you tried putting these 2 together, and flying the downwind leg -> base -> landing using only the throttles?

I'll put a short video in, showing this being done.

It's actually a lot easier than it might sound, I found myself often using the engines to keep dead straight on longer taxiways and that gave me the idea to try this.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Magnifique! Bravo!:thumbup:

Windows 10 (64 bits)

Intel® Corei7-3770 CPU@ 3.40GHz 3.40GHZ

32,0 Go Canal-Double DDR3

Moniteur Philips 24 pouces (1920x1080@60Hz)

Moniteur Philips 19b (1280x1024)

2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (NVIDIA)

1024 MoATI AMD Radeon HD 5450 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Track IR 5, Saitek Rudder Pedals Pro, Hotas Warthog

IIRC NASA did developp a program that allow pilots to steer the plane with only engines, never went into full service tought. So i guess you're using the same logics.

Hmm,... I think I heard that after more than a decade of total silence, it DID get implemented on at least one airliner... not sure which one...

You’re probably thinking of United 232, where all 3 hydraulic lines in the tail were severed, and they used differential power alone to command the aircraft. Very quick thinking by the crew, saved a lot of people’s lives.

Edit - just saw the Haynes comment, incredible actions by all of them.

You’re probably thinking of United 232, where all 3 hydraulic lines in the tail were severed, and they used differential power alone to command the aircraft. Very quick thinking by the crew, saved a lot of people’s lives.

Edit - just saw the Haynes comment, incredible actions by all of them.

Nah, you have it backwards: 232 crash is what inspired NASA and partners to develop computer programs to help do what the United crew tried desperately to do manually by experimentation. Instead of another pilot getting on the throttle levers to try and turn or keep straight, the computer would interpret the pilot commands (like any FBW system), determine what normal flight surfaces are not working, and then use the throttles, spoilers, trim settings and other surfaces to try giving the pilot something along the lines of his commands.

They experimented with it on an MD-11 for a bit, back in the early or mid-90's I think. And then... nothing. And then around 10 years ago I think, I heard they were still experimenting using software routines tested in a simulator. They may have also tried it in a F-15 testbed aircraft, but I'm not sure. I thought that one of the newer tubeliners might have had a simplified version of this, but I might be very wrong about that.

Nah, you have it backwards: 232 crash is what inspired NASA and partners to develop computer programs to help do what the United crew tried desperately to do manually by experimentation. Instead of another pilot getting on the throttle levers to try and turn or keep straight, the computer would interpret the pilot commands (like any FBW system), determine what normal flight surfaces are not working, and then use the throttles, spoilers, trim settings and other surfaces to try giving the pilot something along the lines of his commands.

They experimented with it on an MD-11 for a bit, back in the early or mid-90's I think. And then... nothing. And then around 10 years ago I think, I heard they were still experimenting using software routines tested in a simulator. They may have also tried it in a F-15 testbed aircraft, but I'm not sure. I thought that one of the newer tubeliners might have had a simplified version of this, but I might be very wrong about that.

Yep.. Well remembered.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/PCA/index.html

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hmm... ok I think, despite most of that being recalled well, I think I might have not realised that I was conflating two programs together. See, there was another program, that was similarly for maintaining flight with a damaged aircraft. So that say if aileron is damages, the other surfaces could be instantly re-tuned on the fly to allow a safe emergency landing. That program... may or may not have included engine thrust? Maybe THAT program got implemented in a recent aircraft... I dunno!