[NO BUG] Bomb Drop Line, so tilted

Adrian858

I've run into a strange issue twice now, and I initially thought that it was the result of damage to the aircraft after taking some hits from Anti Air guns a few nights ago, which led the Hud Bomb Drop Line to become diagonal. But last night, I had the same problem after no damage had been done to my aircraft and I had used the LANTIRN Pod to drop 2 GBU-16's and 2 GBU-12's (no problems with those). After I dropped the GBU's taking out a couple of targets from around 40,000 FT, I switched over to a couple of Mk-82's, switched to the RIO Seat and turned off the LANIRN Pod and put the TV back on. When I went back to the pilot seat, dropped my altitude and went to set up the master arm on with A/G mode, I looked up to find the Bomb Drop Line had gone slanted diagonally again... I tried turning the Hud on and off, going from Computer Target to Pilot, a few other things like turning off and on the camera, then when I gave up and started flying home, I set the Hud Mode to Landing, and now the pitch ladder was tilted sideways too... The Stby/backup Attitude indicator still appeared to be working fine.

Sadly I didn't take any screenshots of it, but the only thing I could potentially link an issue to would be using the LANTIRN Pod, then switching to dumb bombs.

When the Hud does this, the pitch ladder and bomb line appear to be the only things that are affected, as the heading tape is still where it should be.

Hopefully I'm not the only one noticing this, as I haven't seen anyone else post anything regarding this. To try and remedy the issue, I did a repair after the first time I had the issue (as the alignment wasn't working properly either when done with assisted startup, or auto-start), but no joy.

Edited by IronMike

Corsair Vengeance C-70 (OD), EVGA Z370 FTW, i7-8700k, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 4070ti TUF OC, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB & 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB , WD Black 4TB Perf HDD - 7200 RPM SuperNOVA 750W P2 Modular, ASUS ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440
TM Warthog, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, VPC CM3 Base, VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Apache-64, VPC Control Panel 1, WinWing PTO 2, Cougar MFD's, TekCreations F/A-18C Master Arm, Koolertron Keypad, Meta Quest 3
A-10C/II - AH-64D - AV-8B - CH-47F - F-4E - F-5E - F-14 - F-15E -  F-16C - F/A-18C - P-51D - Bf-109K4 - FC3 - UH-1H - Combined Arms - Super Carrier - Flaming Cliffs 3

Nevada - Normandy - Persian Gulf - Sinai - Syria

Have also had this, throws the entire HUD right off, including the horizon lines when later trying to land. Bombing is out of the question once it starts going wonky, chucks the bombs miles away from the target.

Toppling the gyro with hard-ish manoeuvring while bombing?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is typically a result of a 9 G+ pull on the stick, which tend to have the gyro (INS) damaged. After that you need a new aircraft. System damage modeling is strong in this one.

What helps me (...and I am still far from perfect) is to monitor speeds and pull out early and deliberate while listening to the airframe. I mostly over-G when trying to salvage a bad run in or when jinking to hard on evasion, especially in dogfights. :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hmm, it all makes sense now! If I recall correctly the first time it happened, I had a bad run in and to avoid ground fire so I pulled a hard turn to evade. On the second mission I was working through, especially being at a higher altitude, I wasn't paying the best attention to my airspeed and ended up getting caught in a flat spin, I would presume the GBU's were unaffected as the LANTIRN is giving me directional cues, then when I switched over to the Mk-82's, I noticed something went awry.

Conclusion: Be a little nicer to the Cat! :megalol:

Corsair Vengeance C-70 (OD), EVGA Z370 FTW, i7-8700k, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 4070ti TUF OC, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB & 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB , WD Black 4TB Perf HDD - 7200 RPM SuperNOVA 750W P2 Modular, ASUS ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440
TM Warthog, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, VPC CM3 Base, VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Apache-64, VPC Control Panel 1, WinWing PTO 2, Cougar MFD's, TekCreations F/A-18C Master Arm, Koolertron Keypad, Meta Quest 3
A-10C/II - AH-64D - AV-8B - CH-47F - F-4E - F-5E - F-14 - F-15E -  F-16C - F/A-18C - P-51D - Bf-109K4 - FC3 - UH-1H - Combined Arms - Super Carrier - Flaming Cliffs 3

Nevada - Normandy - Persian Gulf - Sinai - Syria

I have had similar, I had not pulled too hard though.

Successful bomb drop on a target, climb to height and re-attack from a different direction, gun run at a 35*dive angle, 350KTS, short strafe run of rounds from about a mile and a quarter slant range, 4G pull when within circa 1000ft AGL, after climbing back to around 10000 the horizon bars are tilted about 5* off of horizontal, and its much more noticeable when landing, as the VV is nowhere near the actual line of flight, its typically way off to the side of the HUD glass, and bears no relation to where the aircraft is actually heading.

It seems to be if there is any sort of prolonged turning and tumbling, the horizon line gives out.

No damage, and no overstressing of the aircraft (in my case at least).

Hopefully it will be addressed in a future update.

But anyway, loving the 'Cat, quirks and all. :joystick:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

This isn't a bug. During some harder maneuver you smashed your INS. This is modelled very accurately and you need to pay a lot of attention when flying to not overstress it. If online and you are saying that you did not pull too many G, this could be due to desync, netcode, rubberbanding or similar. (in which case this would be a DCS bug).

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 7 months later...
This isn't a bug. During some harder maneuver you smashed your INS. This is modelled very accurately and you need to pay a lot of attention when flying to not overstress it. If online and you are saying that you did not pull too many G, this could be due to desync, netcode, rubberbanding or similar. (in which case this would be a DCS bug).

Not so sure. Keeps happening to me... just now, smooth take off, everything good and flying a straight line ascending. Offset about 5deg to the left... 3rd time in a row (MP).

Not so sure. Keeps happening to me... just now, smooth take off, everything good and flying a straight line ascending. Offset about 5deg to the left... 3rd time in a row (MP).

Do you have wind layers which differ a lot? the bomb line will be calculated in which layer you engage it, so if you fly in a higher layer with a high difference in wind speeds, it might be off as well. If you share the mission, I can check.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 1 month later...
Do you have wind layers which differ a lot? the bomb line will be calculated in which layer you engage it, so if you fly in a higher layer with a high difference in wind speeds, it might be off as well. If you share the mission, I can check.

Wait... so, if I align with Wind at one location, and Wind is all different at the target location... I'm (we're) just stuck with a jacked up Bomb Fall Line? And this is realistic too?

Wait... so, if I align with Wind at one location, and Wind is all different at the target location... I'm (we're) just stuck with a jacked up Bomb Fall Line? And this is realistic too?
No, but if you drop at a high altitude with different wind direction/speed the drop is calculated with that wind correction.

E.g. wind at 20k feet is 20kts from 090 to 270 and you run in from 180 to 360 (N) it will displace your Bomb Fall Line to the right, compensating for the wind.

If there is a different wind direction/speed at 5k feet, the Tomcat won't know and can't compensate... resulting in a miss.

A tilted and stuck BFL to my experience happens mostly as a result of a damaged INS.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this happens when invulnerability is set to on too:)

It seems to be only recently that has started to happen