Should I buy the MIG-21? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
snowsniper

Reputation power: 6
snowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the roughsnowsniper is a jewel in the rough

Pro

Awesome nice vintage cockpit with a bit of sun on it. My best screenshot so far on early sunset
Love how it is binded on real stick do the same in sim. It s so clever
The recovery buton is so cool. So does the ap engage desisengage
Easy to cold start and take off
Challenging and rewarding landings
Rsbm navigation box so nice feature on caucasus
Very clever part of russian aviation history

Const

Poor radar
At hight aoa sometimes feels unrealistic
Engine restart in flight
Starforce sensitivity is awfull on this one

For sure one of the best module. A must have I think if you re in vintage jets

all my skins here :

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co..._filter=Filter
snowsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #12
reflected

Reputation power: 12
reflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of light

DAMN YOU ALL!!!!

Thanks a lot for your input, this bird really is something! I can now start her, take off, land (sort of). I'm nowhere near using any armament yet.

Also, I downloaded an English cockpit mod from the user files section, but it seems that the switches are still in Russian

My Music
My DCS Skins
reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
cthulhu68

Reputation power: 3
cthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
l:Also, I downloaded an English cockpit mod from the user files section, but it seems that the switches are still in Russian
Under Options/Special there's a box to check for custom cockpit liveries

"Bandits at 8 o'clock move in behind us - Ten ME-109's out of the sun
Ascending and turning our spitfires to face them - Heading straight for them I press down my guns"
cthulhu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
reflected

Reputation power: 12
reflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of lightreflected is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu68 View Post
Under Options/Special there's a box to check for custom cockpit liveries
I installed the mod via JSGME, then checked that box, but the switches are still in Russian. Only the gauges are in English.

My Music
My DCS Skins
reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
cthulhu68

Reputation power: 3
cthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the roughcthulhu68 is a jewel in the rough

Options / Gameplay/Avionics language-English should do it then.
This is what you get with no mod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_170320_171736.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	159408  

"Bandits at 8 o'clock move in behind us - Ten ME-109's out of the sun
Ascending and turning our spitfires to face them - Heading straight for them I press down my guns"
cthulhu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
gavagai

Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

Good choice Reflected.

I don't think you need a mod for the English language cockpit. There's an option for that in the settings.

Don't mess around with the campaign that comes with the module. I found it pretty bizarre because you're flying the Mig-21 alongside western fighters like the F-15 against other Mig-21s.

Instead, look up the Guardians of the Caucasus campaign from mbot. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
grunf

Reputation power: 10
grunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nice

Quote:
DAMN YOU ALL!!!!

Thanks a lot for your input, this bird really is something! I can now start her, take off, land (sort of). I'm nowhere near using any armament yet.
LOL
Welcome to the club.

Quote:
Also, I downloaded an English cockpit mod from the user files section, but it seems that the switches are still in Russian
No need for a mod, it comes with the English cockpit (mostly, some text remains in Cyrillic).
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #18
Accipiter

Reputation power: 9
Accipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the rough

On your right side you have 73 switches and circuit breakers.
In front of you you have a combination of 97 switches, circuit breakers and instruments.
On your left side you have 77 switches and circuit breakers, including your throttle and engine controls. Nearly all of these have functionality.

I bought this aircraft in the recent Fatherland sale. I haven't been able to stop flying it!

Totally addictive!

As a historic aircraft it perhaps has no equal. Designed over 60 years ago and capable of Mach 2+ on a single engine!

If you like challenging flight simulations (as well as all the features of the DCS Mission planner) then this is one for you. Plan some missions with the GCI units and you can recreate some accurate scenarios. Even test the theory that it only takes 60 seconds from entering the cockpit to scramble.

Regards,

David
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
Sarraceno

Reputation power: 0
Sarraceno is on a distinguished road

This mod is actually what decided me to get into DCS (well, the module and a brand new PC), fun as hell and hard hitting, it has some bug, but besides that this is awesome made plane.
Sarraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #20
Schmidtfire

Reputation power: 5
Schmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura about

It is a rocketship with wings! I still remember my first merge with one in multiplayer on the 104th. High above the thick cloud layer in my Su-27, friendly contact on my radar but my RWR going crazy. And as we merged in full burner, I could clearly see the iconic MiG-21 silhouette sizzling past me. Turns out he had mistaken me for a bandit. To see that MiG-21 at high altitude trying to turn with my Flanker was really cool and quite an unusual sight in multiplayer. He gave up pretty fast and when I didn't fire he realized his mistake and dove away. One of the coolest encounters I've had in multiplayer.

Last edited by Schmidtfire; 03-20-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote