Question Before I Buy - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
CrackerJack

Reputation power: 4
CrackerJack will become famous soon enoughCrackerJack will become famous soon enough
Default Question Before I Buy

This would be my first WWII aircraft. I took a quick look at the user made missions and there is not all that many available. So my suspicion is that the majority of people fly the 109 multi-player??

If that's the case is there a suggested MP server for novice flyers where I can learn and still have fun as opposed to getting smoked every couple of seconds?

Cheers!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
TheThumper

Reputation power: 8
TheThumper is on a distinguished road

I believe you will find that most WWII aircraft are lacking in the Single-Player missions category. With the upcoming Normandy expansion (late May) I expect you will see the number of missions increase exponentially. The 109 is one of my favorite aircraft to just fly around in as it has a true "stick and rudder" type of feeling.
For online, I have flew on a few servers celebrating WWII aircraft and all seem to welcome both in-experienced as well as experienced. One chat from you asking for a bit of assistance will be helped right along (that is my bet at least).

TheThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Art-J

Reputation power: 12
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

^ This.

Single player content has always been almost non-existent for DCS warbirds, because there were just no assets available to create combat scenarios which made any sense. It's most likely to change a lot with upcoming '44 map and units, however.

You might still buy it now though, just for the sake of learning the peculiarities of prop-plane flight model, which comes with a set of challenges unknown to jet-heads (the -109 is somewhat more difficult to fly than TF-51D, which You already own in Your DCS).
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
OnlyforDCS

Reputation power: 12
OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

Going to borrow the OP's thread:

Thinking of getting the K as my next module, however I don't want to pay full price for it. I enjoy the FM mechanics and sometimes fly (and die) on the multiplayer servers with the Allied Warbirds and would like to try one of the Axis birds.

My question is, will the K ever go on sale? I have not seen it on sales, like for example they did with the Spit recently.

Before you start flaming me how I should shut my trap and just pony up the money (like I did with the Pony! HA!), I don't feel any of the WWII modules are worth full price at the moment. There is very little content you get with them, apart from the plane itself and the nice flight model (in varying degrees of completion). This might or might not change with the release of Normandy, however that is a big IF, and will require further $$$ DLC cash purchases most probably.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Schmidtfire

Reputation power: 5
Schmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura aboutSchmidtfire has a spectacular aura about

There is pretty much a sale every weekend or at least a bundle deal. Just keep your eyes open for the newsletter on fridays and I am sure that the Bf019K-4 will appear in a not to distant future
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 45
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThumper View Post
The 109 is one of my favorite aircraft to just fly around in as it has a true "stick and rudder" type of feeling.
True true

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
There is very little content you get with them
Are you serious? There is a P-51D campaign in the e-shop fables...
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
firmek

Reputation power: 6
firmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the roughfirmek is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
...Are you serious? There is a P-51D campaign in the e-shop fables...
Yes, but as I understood the point was about the content shipped with the module and in case of the warbirds and in terms of the campaigns it is rather slim.
The stock campaign is more of an extended, practical tutorial. It's still worth to fly and it is good that it's included but it's far from the level from other campaigns. As for the MP servers, most of them are dogfight servers - which probably steams from the lack of assests from the era.
By the way, is the P-51D DLC campaign an interesting one?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Reputation power: 45
WildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to allWildBillKelsoe is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmek View Post
Yes, but as I understood the point was about the content shipped with the module and in case of the warbirds and in terms of the campaigns it is rather slim.
The stock campaign is more of an extended, practical tutorial. It's still worth to fly and it is good that it's included but it's far from the level from other campaigns. As for the MP servers, most of them are dogfight servers - which probably steams from the lack of assests from the era.
By the way, is the P-51D DLC campaign an interesting one?
I dont know havent tried it, even though I purchased it. I cant comment. But, remeber, we did not have an appropriate map for the era warbirds and I think there is more campaigns on the way for these modules so its a matter of waiting.

We just need to give devs more time thats all. There are plenty of user created missions and for the messer my favourite is hot chocolate.

Plus maple flag will be creating content so were properly covered.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Rudel_chw

Reputation power: 7
Rudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really niceRudel_chw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
My question is, will the K ever go on sale? I have not seen it on sales, like for example they did with the Spit recently.
It has been on sales, Ive bought all ww2 aircraft at sale price ... the only exception being the spitfire, which i purchased at 20% discount on pre-release.
You just have to wait a bit
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 17
NeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really nice

I'd say now is definitely the time to buy WW2 modules. With Normandy around the corner, there will be a huge influx of missions. The asset pack will bring lots more possibilities - including decent bomber intercept missions given that there will be better AI bomber formation code in the works. Buying now will give you time to get to grips with the Kurfurst, and get you battle ready for the end of May. It does take a little time to master the techniques for both getting it airborne and landing it, and for getting the best out of it in dogfights.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote