Using oculus touch to be able grip and control throttle and stick - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
THE__PWN3R

Default Using oculus touch to be able grip and control throttle and stick

Hi all, I've been getting into dcs more now with all this time on my hands and noticed with some of my modules I can now actually control some aircraft using the oculus touch to 'grip' the throttle and stick, however it seems to only be eagle dynamics modules.

To those who will advise me to the benefits of a hotas, I have a warthog, however my game set up is rather unconventional in the living room, so every time I wish to use my warthog I have to set up the stands and lots of time is spent packing up and putting away as I cannot leave them set up. To see I can just pop my headset on and fly with minimal setup is a new luxury to me, even allowing me to happily get some flying hours in even after work where time is even more precious! (I do use rudder pedals as you are a bit scuppered otherwise but luckily there are a case of drag them out rather than set them up)

I've been wondering if theres a setting I need to turn on or assign something to be able to use this feature with say, the mig 21 or mirage 2000, as I mentioned earlier from some quick testing I can control pretty much all of ED's Modules (the a10C seems a bit borked only allowing horizontal stick movement, but I assume that's just a bug) And the Belsimtek offerings do too (well, tested on the mig-15)

I was curious as well if anyone else has had a go at using this feature and how you've gotten on with it? It's a bit alien at first but I found I accustomed to it quite quickly. A large benefit i found was i had no worries about smacking my headset into my hotas when trying to look at some pesky low dials (I'm looking at you FW-190 a-8!) Not to mention I find it much easier to quickly flip a switch or turn a dial in vr as the controls are ready on my hands
THE__PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
ashwad

The F-18 is fully controllable with VR controllers. That is all I use. No mouse and no HOTAS. The F-16's throttle does not work with the controllers. DCS said they will implement it though.
ashwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
THE__PWN3R

Yes I noticed that with the F-16, to my delight it is working on the open beta version, however it seems you have to bind a button to move the throttle to idle, then you should have full control, in future I would hope you can just push the throttle to idle
Old 04-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
ashwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE__PWN3R View Post
Yes I noticed that with the F-16, to my delight it is working on the open beta version, however it seems you have to bind a button to move the throttle to idle, then you should have full control, in future I would hope you can just push the throttle to idle
What button did you bind? I could not find a "finger-lift" type binding before.
ashwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
THE__PWN3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwad View Post
What button did you bind? I could not find a "finger-lift" type binding before.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...yboard_inputs/ if you use oculus you're in luck, use this software I found yesterday after pulling my hair out for a good few hours. I had the steam version of DCS where it would allow limited mapping for vr controllers yet the standalone does not (which I switched over to a few days ago)

Using the software will allow you to rebind an oculus touch (you can remap everything but oculus still takes control of about 3 buttons X, Y and A I think which are menu, reset position in VR and zoom, I'm still trying to find a way to change those) but I press up on my left pad to set throttle to idle, the FW-190 has the same quirk too where you have to bind a key in order to have free control over the throttle.

You can map them pretty well, by mapping the circular settings button to a modifier like left ctrl your controllers will have as many binds as some hotas, it seems FC3 style planes (really surprised they can be controlled in vr) may be playable with this due to how reliant those are on keybinds, im going to have a go at mapping the F-15c and see how I get on

If you dont have oculus I'm unsure sorry, if not are you on standalone or steam?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
waldorf

Hi,

Thanks to help from THE PWN3R in above posts I have managed to get my head round the Touchbinder plugin.
My aim is to have basic flying controls using just VR. A lot of aircraft have stick and throttle working in VR but rudder control is lacking.
Using the Touchbinder program I have managed to find a solution that provides rudder and wheel brakes for differential braking/steering. Left and right rudder input is via the left and right Oculus Touch index finger trigger switches and braking by pressing the left hand Touch stick down. A very simple solution and after a bit of practice becomes less 'concentrating of the mind' … I have included my settings.txt listing below, Just remove the remarks on the right //etc: before using. If anyone has a better method then please please let me know.

I am assuming your rudder keyboard inputs are Z and X and wheel brakes is W

bDown|bA|0,a //view zoom
bPressed|bLThumb|0,{w down} //wheel brakes on
bReleased|bLThumb|0,{w up} //wheel brakes off
bDown|bX|0,x //re-center head
bDown|bY|0,y //game menu
bPressed|bLTrigger|0,{z down} //left rudder on
bReleased|bLTrigger|0,{z up} //left rudder off
bPressed|bRTrigger|0,{x down} //right rudder on
bReleased|bRTrigger|0,{x up} //right rudder off

Thanks again to THE PWN3R for your guidance.
waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Gizmokev

Send a message via MSN to Gizmokev

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE__PWN3R View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...yboard_inputs/ if you use oculus you're in luck, use this software I found yesterday after pulling my hair out for a good few hours. I had the steam version of DCS where it would allow limited mapping for vr controllers yet the standalone does not (which I switched over to a few days ago)

Using the software will allow you to rebind an oculus touch (you can remap everything but oculus still takes control of about 3 buttons X, Y and A I think which are menu, reset position in VR and zoom, I'm still trying to find a way to change those) but I press up on my left pad to set throttle to idle, the FW-190 has the same quirk too where you have to bind a key in order to have free control over the throttle.

You can map them pretty well, by mapping the circular settings button to a modifier like left ctrl your controllers will have as many binds as some hotas, it seems FC3 style planes (really surprised they can be controlled in vr) may be playable with this due to how reliant those are on keybinds, im going to have a go at mapping the F-15c and see how I get on

If you dont have oculus I'm unsure sorry, if not are you on standalone or steam?
Hi guys....this is exactly what I was looking for and rather than using the trigger buttons I wanted to use the left control stick to control the amount of rudder input.....is this correct....

bPressed|bLLeft|0,z
bPressed|bLRight|0,x
bPressed|bB|0,b
bReleased|bLLeft|0,
bReleased|bLRight|0,
bReleased|bB|0,

The B button was to apply brake btw

Also I am slightly confused....does this only work in the steam version or standalone or both.....i set it all up and just tried it in the steam version and it didnt work as in no rudder input control which I am hoping is going to be linear along with the deflection of the left control stick.....am I doing something wrong....more than likely it is me but I am a newbie on this platform and VR...thanks in advance.
Gizmokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
waldorf

Hi Gizmokev,

For full VR control try reading through the info on the link.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270404&page=3

enjoy
waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controls, oculus, touch, virtual reality