Reverb high CPU and GPU frame time - UNPLAYABLE - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #21
speed-of-heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukman83 View Post
@stuartaston, I do use more than one m.2 drive. I use one for my System and DCS is installed on another one. Does the pagefile still come into effect?
provided you have jut let windows do its thing it should be fine...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #22
Gunnars Driver

Quote:
Still to do:
A good plan!

I think one main goal should be to see if you by lowering the settings can get down to decent CPU frame times that’s comparable with other ppl with similar hardware( I think you should be able to drop it down to around 10ms). If this isnt possible, there might be a problem in either DCS or maybe Steam VR software. As VRMark use part of the same software(Steam), it then might point out DCS.

This should result in either needing to do a new install of for example DCS or steamVR software etc, or if no such problems, start from the ”bottom” with low settings and work yourself up increasing settings step by step until you meet the limit between your hardware and your own personal reference for what you think is a playable level of smooth gaming / enough picture quality. We know that we cant put all settings to max +high SS and still have 90fps/45fps all the time.

[Edit]I think it would be interresting to see the load on each core of the CPU during DCS gaming. You fint it via the Task Manager and system recources or somethinh like that(not at home so...).

Heres a post with this shown for my computer, I think that pic is when I used Oculus. With Reverb I get higher GPU load and a bit lower CPU load.
The load is on the highest numbered physical CPU core in the system by default in DCS. Some load will be on the next highest core(I think its mainly the sound processing). We excpect to see a similar pattern in your system if everything is as it should.
By the way, you havent mixtured with project lasso or in anyway hampered the standard DCS threads-to-core-settings?
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=288

Last edited by Gunnars Driver; 02-25-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Gunnars Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #23
dukman83

Thanks guys!

@stuartaston,
Quote:
provided you have jut let windows do its thing it should be fine...
thanks for clarifying!

@Gunnars Driver, did you want the specific screenshot of Task Manager with the game running as well as the Project Lasso I provided earlier?

Until this latest tweak I have not messed with PL in any way. In fact, no changes have been made between my last post and this response.

The most recent tweak (done just before this post) was the change of priority of DCS.exe to “Realtime”. I noticed that there was some improvement following that change.
Please see the attached screenshot of the results.

The next thing I tried was to set the CPU affinity to CPU 6 and 7 as per stuartaston’s recommendation in post #4. This did not appear to be helpful – in fact, somewhat worse?
I reverted to Priority "Realtime" and affinity to all CPUs.
Please see the attached second screenshot appropriately titled.

Another thing to note is (I probably haven’t mentioned this earlier) that this is a fresh install of DCS. As part of my original troubleshooting I totally uninstalled it and re-downloaded it.

Any further thoughts/recommendations?

In the meantime, I will keep going down the list of TO-DOs unless you have any further advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU Affinity All_Priority Realtime.png
Views:	57
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	228732   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU Affinity 6&7_Priority Realtime.png
Views:	64
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	228733  
dukman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #24
speed-of-heat

Quote:
Thanks guys!
The next thing I tried was to set the CPU affinity to CPU 6 and 7 as per stuartaston’s recommendation in post #4. This did not appear to be helpful – in fact, somewhat worse?
I reverted to Priority "Realtime" and affinity to all CPUs.
Please see the attached second screenshot appropriately titled.
realistically you need at least 3 cores, make sure they are physical cores, typically physical cores are every other core starting at 0, so 6 and 7 are the same core ... im not sure how process lasso and core affinity will interact, i would use one or the other TBH

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask....uItem=utilties maybe helpful in getting the mask right

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.0 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
Old 02-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #25
dukman83

Hi mate, thanks for the info!

Out of curiosity, what is the third core required for by DCS? I understand by previous posts that one core is for the game and the other for the sound.

Also, I did a bit of googling and couldn't find exactly which cores are physical and which are logical for my specific CPU. If it is safe to assume that generally all multi-core CPUs structured from core 0->n where the first core is physical and the next is logical, would you recommend DCS to be set to cores 3, 5 and 7 in order to utilise three physical cores?
Old 02-27-2020, 02:56 AM   #26
speed-of-heat

I would just set it to all the physical cores you have, and then let windows do it’s thing... from my own testing it needed at least 3 cores if you look here you will find out why, I can’t remember exactly the reason.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #27
jalfrezi

Quote:
Hi mate, thanks for the info!

Out of curiosity, what is the third core required for by DCS? I understand by previous posts that one core is for the game and the other for the sound.

Also, I did a bit of googling and couldn't find exactly which cores are physical and which are logical for my specific CPU. If it is safe to assume that generally all multi-core CPUs structured from core 0->n where the first core is physical and the next is logical, would you recommend DCS to be set to cores 3, 5 and 7 in order to utilise three physical cores?

If you're going to use CPU affinity then don't select odd numbered cores for the game, as these are the HT cores and only offer around 35% of the performance of the actual physical core (even numbered).

I did try a similar approach myself for a while using Process Lasso, but found little to no improvement, so now just let Windows manage it, if you're still on Windows 7 it may offer an improvement.
Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/
jalfrezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #28
dukman83

Thanks for the advice guys.

I used Project Lasso to set the core affinity to 1, 3, 5, and 7 and found no noticeable difference between affinity set to all cores. Out of curiosity I then changed it to 0,2,4,6 and found the same...

Should there have been at least some difference one way or the other??
CPU: Intel i9-9900KS, GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra 11GB, RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4, MB: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, Game drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W, Windows 10 version: Pro - build 1909, WMR (Windows 10 version), WMR for SteamVR Beta, SteamVR Beta, VR: HP Reverb Pro
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
jalfrezi

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I used Project Lasso to set the core affinity to 1, 3, 5, and 7 and found no noticeable difference between affinity set to all cores. Out of curiosity I then changed it to 0,2,4,6 and found the same...

Should there have been at least some difference one way or the other??
Is your processor showing as 8 or 16 cores? I'm surprised that running on the odd numbered cores showed no difference to the even numbered cores!

Your results sort of confirm my own, in that Process Lasso didn't seem to make a noticeable difference to in-game performance.
Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Old 02-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #30
jalfrezi

From further reading on Intel cores it looks like each physical core is split into two logical cores, so that two threads can be run at once.

This suggests that running on 0, 2, 4, 6 will yield the same result as 1, 3, 5, 7, in that you are still running on four separate physical cores.

Tags
fps, frametime, multiplayer, reverb, steamvr