View problems with increased resolution - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
philstyle

Default View problems with increased resolution

I'm reporting this as a bug because
A) I am of the opinion that the practical implementation of how long-range contacts are rendered in DCS is not resulting in the outcome that ED intends., and
B) I think that overcoming this issue would be a significant step forward for DCS, and a step in a direction that competitor sims are having trouble making, or are unwilling to make. It therefore would provide a small competitive advantage in the market for DCS.

The video below presents:
1. How I tested / proved this problem
2. Three Separate tests, with varying hardware configurations
3. Proposed solutions for ED to resolve this.

The bug report is submitted primarily as a video. If ED do not wish to view the video I can also submit a full written description, however I think it's most easily demonstrated in the video.

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
TwojaStara

+1. It has been discussed so many times... still it's been like that since 1.5 and Model Enlargement removal. Maybe we should make voting how many people think this bug is the most important (?) I've switched to 1080p on 1440p monitoring and DCS looks ugly but at least I can spot something.
TwojaStara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwojaStara View Post
I've switched to 1080p on 1440p monitoring and DCS looks ugly but at least I can spot something.
This is telling. We shouldn't have to downscale our hardware to get the best gaming experience.

I really didn't appreciate how bad this was when I was only on 1080p. I knew there was a problem, but I just thought it was minor. Now that I@ve upgraded (and I am NOT an early adopter) I realise how disabling this problem is. More and more PC gamers will move to 2K and 4K over the next couple of years, DCS needs to recognize that and adapt accordingly.

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
DataX

+1000

I run in 4k and without labels in singleplayer I can´t see any air target at all. I think this is really an issue that needs some attention.
DataX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
White Eagle

So i currently run the game at 1440p on a 27" and have always struggled with distant contacts and even close ones, losing them in the background clutter/cockpit glare. I recently ran the game in 1080p on my 27" and the results were easier for me to spot at distance and able to maintain eye contact with an aircraft in a dogfight <5nm as the aircraft tended to stand out from the background more.
White Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
BlitzPuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Eagle View Post
So i currently run the game at 1440p on a 27" and have always struggled with distant contacts and even close ones, losing them in the background clutter/cockpit glare. I recently ran the game in 1080p on my 27" and the results were easier for me to spot at distance and able to maintain eye contact with an aircraft in a dogfight <5nm as the aircraft tended to stand out from the background more.
Same. Spotting is terrible for me with a 1440 27 Inch display.

Quit playing because of this.
BlitzPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Hotdognz

Targets also disappear, especially ground targets at around 4-1 kms they can be in sight and if you zoom in will just vanish, at 2 kms all ground vehicles should be clearly visible to the naked eye but they just vanish. and then come back at around 1 kms.

There are 4 targets by the smoke, all are tracked vehicles from the WW2 assets pack

The pics shown what I can see at 9 kms (no vehicles in sight)
What I can see zoomed in at 4 kms (4 vehicles in sight)
Target viability pic at around 1 kms, the bottom vehicle is in sight (green circle) there are 3 more vehicles in the red circle that pop in to the picture as you get past the 1 kms mark these vehicles should clearly show up. now

Clearly DCS has a viability problem, makes using ground attack roles really hard especially the close in disappearing vehicles in my pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Targets 9.03 kms 1.png
Views:	543
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	189692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vis traget 1 0,97kms.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	189693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoomed in targets at 4.5kms.png
Views:	468
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	189694  

Last edited by Hotdognz; 07-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Hotdognz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
OnlyforDCS
Veteran

People seem to forget that uspscaling resolution without increasing the size of your monitor will lead to higher pixel density. With the way that spotting works in DCS, this translates to nearly invisible targets at range.

I still think that spotting at even 1080p is too hard, although its better than it used to be in 1.5.X. Higher contrast monitors help in this regard, but even in close range losing targets in the ground clutter is a coin toss basically.
Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, TrackIR 5, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Saitek X52 throttle, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.
OnlyforDCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Hotdognz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
People seem to forget that uspscaling resolution without increasing the size of your monitor will lead to higher pixel density. With the way that spotting works in DCS, this translates to nearly invisible targets at range.

I still think that spotting at even 1080p is too hard, although its better than it used to be in 1.5.X. Higher contrast monitors help in this regard, but even in close range losing targets in the ground clutter is a coin toss basically.
I'm flying DCS in less of a resolution than the native res of my 32" wide screen, should I be at the native res of 2560x1080 to spot enemy's easier ??, or should we should fly DCS in 640x480 or 800x600 then to see ground targets easier ??, actually I may try that tonight.

I have no trouble spotting ground targets in IL2 BOS @ 2560x1080 (my monitors native res), I think the way the sim scales out the ground target models in the 1-3 km range is an issue.

All my testing has been done on the Gulf map and all targets we placed on desert sand, not much ground clutter out in the desert.

I also discovered in some testing that only certain units disappear at around 1.2km's and then come back into view, so far its mainly some of the WW2 assets pack that does it.
Hotdognz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #10
Alphazulu

Yes, this is so true. I have a 4k monitor and fly in 2k and was able to see all kinds of things prior to the change in the label system. The ED reps then said "nothing has changed" then you post clear proof and they skip right over acknowledging you are correct and go straight to defending changes they swore never took place before the proof is presented. This is how they operate on here. I have no problem if they want to change the vis settings but you can't do it by accident and then say, "well I think this is better even though I denied it was changed until I was proven otherwise". That is not how you do development. I had to entirely quit Cold War era servers that I use to go rackup kills on (and survive as well) because guys with lower res gear can see you and you can't see them at all. I even posted images and video of a Mig-21 less then 1 mile behind me and when paused and zoomed in on that spot there is absolutely nothing there. Then a second later a white trail start to grow out of the sky because he fired a missile and that is the only visible indication he is there. Take the same track and replay it in 1080p and you can clearly see the guy. These things go on and on and with the label change the zoom has also started having a big effect on what you see. There was con trails 2K above me and no indication they were there. I happened to zoom all the way in for a second and you would thing an air show was going on right above me and you can't even see it without zooming all the way in. Zoom back out and tons of con trails completely disappear and they are right there above me.
Just like someone pointed out above, I was running in 2K and when I would dive on an enemy right in front of me, as I would close in he would just disappear, even his shadow would disappear and he was right in front of me. I changed the res to 1080p I was able to track a plane on the deck half way across the battle area.

Last edited by Alphazulu; 06-23-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Alphazulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, gfx, graphics, problems, visibility