Training mission issue: Kh29t missiles won't lock on - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
Osprey39

Default Training mission issue: Kh29t missiles won't lock on

I'm new to this sim so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so. When I run through the TV guided weapons tutorial, I do everything it says to do but I can almost never get a launch authorization on the Kh29t missiles. I watched a Youtube video on how to use them just to be sure the tutorial didn't leave anything out and it didn't.

I've moved the camera to all parts of the tank, made the target box bigger and smaller and I have still never succeeded in getting a launch authorization. I have managed to get it after going around to make a second or third pass but when that has happened the authorization has been so brief that I didn't have time to actually fire the missile. I still have yet to successfully launch one. I don't know if this is a bug with the mission or not but I figured I'd post it and see if others have the same issue.

Please help, I'm getting very frustrated with it
Osprey39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
lemoen

Did you ground lock the shkval first then move it over the tank?
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Osprey39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
Did you ground lock the shkval first then move it over the tank?
Yes I did. I followed the mission instructions completely. I also used this video to double check that I was following the correct procedures:

https://youtu.be/1diR5_PJtMU
Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
discwalker

I can confirm the issue. I edited the "11- Su-25T Shkval Assisting Guided Bombs and Missiles.miz" and i succesfully hit one of the MBTs with Kh-29T.
At first, I changed the date to may, the time +1h, and removed all triggers. The result was: I was able to fire at minimum range with holded fire button. (LA came in the last second.)
The final solution was removing the continous cloud cover: medium range launch. But not suceeded to launch from max range.
discwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Osprey39

Damn, I guess it's good to know it's not just me but not good to know I'm going to have to play with the mission editor. That's a bit over my head at this point I think.

edit: I decided to try to edit the mission like discwalker said but I just changed the time of day to 11:45am from 9:45am and made no other changes and I was able to lock and fire the missile successfully. I'm not sure what range I got the LA at but it was well beyond minimum and it scored a direct hit. I then circled around and dropped the bomb no problem as well. Thanks discwalker! That was really getting on my nerves!

Last edited by Osprey39; 02-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
cuervo111

I have the same issue. The question is? Is this a bug? Should we be able to lock the target sooner or not?
cuervo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
Osprey39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo111 View Post
I have the same issue. The question is? Is this a bug? Should we be able to lock the target sooner or not?
Yes, you should. Basically once the caret is inside the min and max range indicators you should be able to lock on and get a launch authorization. I'm pretty sure it's a bug because once I changed the time setting in the mission editor, it worked fine.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
cuervo111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
Yes, you should. Basically once the caret is inside the min and max range indicators you should be able to lock on and get a launch authorization. I'm pretty sure it's a bug because once I changed the time setting in the mission editor, it worked fine.
Well, but I assume the system works by analizing the TV image and the time of day will definitely affect that. Less contrast might make the system unable to "see" the target. That's why I ask if this actually making it more realistic or it's a bug
cuervo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
MadDog-IC
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
It is a limitation of the shkval TV camera system, that it is not good in low light situations, that is why they have a "mercury LLTV (LOW LIGHT TV) pod" as an option for mounting on that plane to see in low light situations, ie at night with candle bombing lighting and of course in bad weather, etc.

Same thing happens with Ka-50 shkval and Vikhr missiles.

Regards, Ian.
Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.
MadDog-IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Sylosis

While I can understand the comment about lightning condition for TV locks, I don't know if that really is the issue here, since even in the training mission, you can't get a lock at the moment (lock indicator going from KC to AC)

So I'm thinking, why would they set the Kh29T training mission in a lightning condition that doesn't allow the use of Kh29T....????

To me it's seems more like a bug...

And if it really is lightning, well I'm not proud of whoever programmed the training mission for the Kh29T...
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, training