Helios FAQ - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Capt Zeen
Beta Tester

Default Helios FAQ

Hello all

I added a new section on my site with the usually asked questions about Helios and my profiles.

I am going to collect those questions here too, to try help people find solutions faster. if you want to contribute, post your question and/or solution, here, and i'll update the main post, time to time.

Here you got the first list:

Frequently asked questions :

-- Helios projecting cockpit dashboard on the wrong monitor

You have to reset monitors in your Helios profile. Use the Helios Profile Editor and do a "reset monitors", make the monitor numbers match the Windows monitor numbers.

-- Helios dashboard dont fit completly my monitor

There are a lot of monitor aspect ratios and resolutions. You must use the profile that best fit with your resolution. If the aspect ratio of your monitor is not the same as the profile, you can see an empty space on the right, or on the bottom.

-- After reset monitors, my profile miss some labels, letters or numbers

When Helios scale the profile to fit with your monitor configuration, he scale the font sizes of all the existing labels on the profile (letters and numbers). Sometimes, the scale of the font dont fit well with the scale of the label-box itself, and that cause the text disapear. to fix it, just click on the label-box and make it a bit bigger, till the text appears again. Then save again your profile.

-- After reset monitors, my profile dont work at all, any gauge or switches moves when they do on the cockpit (Usually configurations with 3 or more monitors)

sometimes, converting to systems with 3 or more monitors, Helios move the graphics to the correct monitor, but not the bindings. They stay in monitor 2, even if you move everything to monitor 3, or other. To solve this problem, look the number where you put it the profile inside and open the profile in notepad++ and using the tool replace, replace all the "monitor 2" by your correct number. For example "monitor 3"

-- I can see red squares with a big black X inside, on my profile

Helios can't find the images in the correct place. Revise and be sure you put all the images of the profile in the correct folder, usually in my documents/Helios/images

-- No gauges working at all.

probably you got a problem in the export.lua of DCS
check if you are using the correct export.lua for your profile, and check if you put it in the correct place, usually in "my saved games/DCS/scripts"

-- In Windows 10, DCS dont receive the switches actions from Helios, but Helios receive the cockpit switches actions from DCS

If everything is installed in the correct place, and the problem persist, try runnig Helios in Administrator mode.
If you are using windows10, the UAC can block the outputs from Helios to DCS.
To be sure, everything is correctly installed, open helios in administrator mode, then open notepad with an empty document, and mantain focus on it. When you click on the buttons or switches, you can see some letters appears on the notepad document.
Thats mean Helios is sending the keyboard command correctly.
If DCS dont get the keyboards from Helios, probably is because the UAC, try to low a level of security and try again.

-- Helios is working good, but i can't see the MFCs or the Abris, Skhival, etc

To see the different viewports from the game you need to be sure you are using the correct monitor configuration files, and the airplane related .luas.
Each installation package, have all the files you need to prepare the game to export the viewports to the other monitor. So read the instruction and install using JSGM the correct ones.

--Helios do not recognize the correct size for UHD 4K monitor resolutions

In Windows 10, right-click on desktop --> Display Settings
For the UHD (4K)-display move the slider "Change the size of text, apps and other items" to the left (100%).
Helios will now recognize the screen resolutions correctly.

--From DCS 1.5.5 export.lua dont work anymore

if you are using one of my export.lua, look for this line:

os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

and comment it like this:

-- os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

That fix the problem.

Or use the latest export.lua from the web site.

to be continued....

Last edited by Capt Zeen; 12-31-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Capt Zeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Beeroshima

Sir, I've done everything I know to do to solve this issue. I had helios working fine on win 8.1. I've even helped other people set theirs up. Switched to windows 10 and can get neither the guages running, nor DCS to receive commands from helios. Export.lua is in the right place, Run Helios, DCS, in ADMIN, and also turned UAC & firewall all the way off. Even added a goofy line to the export.lua to see if it showed up in the log, which it did. I'm stumped. I also tried disconnecting my 3rd monitor. No response from Helios when i load dcs, gauges don't function, button presses see no keystrokes in Notepad

Last edited by Beeroshima; 11-08-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Beeroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
Capt Zeen
Beta Tester

Send me your profile and i can take a look.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
Capt Zeen
Beta Tester

OK, here you got your fixed KA50 profie.
The problems was the 4th in the list. using 3 or more monitors, Helios dont do the reset monitors very well, and dont move the bindings to the correct monitor. To solve the problem just follow the intructions. Anyway, here you got the file already fixed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...Ex0MlNnOWRNV2s

The A10C profile you send me has lost all the bindings on one of the procces you did. So start again from a original profile, and check, at the end, using notepad++ if the bindings are in the correct monitor. (The bindings are in the last half part of the code)

Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Beeroshima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zeen View Post
OK, here you got your fixed KA50 profie.
The problems was the 4th in the list. using 3 or more monitors, Helios dont do the reset monitors very well, and dont move the bindings to the correct monitor. To solve the problem just follow the intructions. Anyway, here you got the file already fixed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...Ex0MlNnOWRNV2s

The A10C profile you send me has lost all the bindings on one of the procces you did. So start again from a original profile, and check, at the end, using notepad++ if the bindings are in the correct monitor. (The bindings are in the last half part of the code)

I sincerely thank you. Apologies for not finding this. I actually tried disconnecting my 3rd monitor but it didn't occur to me to start with a fresh install after disconnecting it. Life is good again.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Capt Zeen
Beta Tester

Added a couple of cases

Last edited by Capt Zeen; 12-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Beeroshima

Good work. That 4k one ruined my life for a few days til i figured it out.

Sent when i should be working instead
Old 01-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
dragon11721

Finished the basis of Helis Captain Zeen and saved my LUA file to .../config/monitor setup.
When I launched the game, I don't see the LUA file.
I launch the game under the local machine, not under STEAM.
dragon11721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
sobe

Capt Z
Are you considering doing a profile for the Viggen when it comes out?
Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel(R) Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .
sobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #10
Beeroshima

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon11721 View Post
Finished the basis of Helis Captain Zeen and saved my LUA file to .../config/monitor setup.
When I launched the game, I don't see the LUA file.
I launch the game under the local machine, not under STEAM.
Did you save the lua in your saved games under yourname/saved games/dcs/config/

Sent when i should be working instead

Tags
capt zeen, helios, problem, profile