Skullz Genuine Huey Sound Mod - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
sSkullZnBoneZz

Default Skullz Genuine Huey Sound Mod

Introducing Skullz Genuine Huey Sounds

by Skullz of the 1st Cav Div (Virtual)

Background

I am an avid UH1 Huey fan. My love for this helicopter started when I was a kid growing up around Fayetteville, NC and living in an area where they constantly flew over my house on their way to and from Ft Bragg and Simmons Army Airfield. Also, watching all the Vietnam movies that were out at the time devopled that passion even more. I wanted to be a Huey pilot when I grew up but my eyesight prevented me from even attempting to get into Army aviation. So, when the Belsimtek Huey was announced I was like a kid at Christmas anticipating its release. That day finally came and a childhood dream finally realized—at least ‘virtually’.

Early Stage

Once the newness wore off the Belsimtek Huey, I began to notice the startup didn’t sound realistic to me. I watched a few YouTube videos of Hueys starting up and quickly realized how off the startup in the sim was. So, I decided I wanted to make a realistic startup sound mod. I tinkered with the startup sound for months. I spent hours upon hours watching videos and getting feedback from actual Huey pilots.

The Project Begins

During the development of the start up sound mod, I watched more videos; the more I watched the more I realized how unrealistic the whole sound in the sim was. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to bash Belsimtek, after all they had to create the entire aircraft and they did an outstanding job, but the sound is too arcade-like for my taste. So, the project morphed into something more than a mere startup sound mod. Since those early days I have been working on capturing all the sounds of the Huey and making it into a complete sound mod. This project has taken the better part of 2 years, working on it in my spare time, testing, re-testing, tweaking and pestering other members of 1st Cav Div to test it. As a perfectionist I have been relentlessly chasing the perfect blend of sounds to create a depth of detail that hasn’t been created by any other sound modder to date. I can’t list everything in the aircraft that makes a sound—I probably couldn’t tell you what particular part makes what particular sound, aside from the basics like rotors, engine, etc. I can only say that the sound is there—you’ll just have to hear it for yourself.

That being said, here is a short list of what's represented in the mod:
  • Main rotor blades have that distinctive and famous thump at a distance. As the helicopter approaches the thump gets louder and disappears as the aircraft flies by, just like the real Huey.
  • Authentic transmission whine and engine sounds
  • Authentic ‘blade slap’ sound
  • Startup is realistic and sounds like the real aircraft
  • Shutdown is realistic and sounds like the real aircraft
  • All weapons have been replaced with real sounds

Comparing the real Huey to my sound mod:

Flyby using my mod:

Flyby of a real Huey:

Startup and Idle using my sound mod:

Startup of a real huey:

The ultimate goal of this project is to create the most realistic sound possible within the constraints of DCS World and Belsimtek’s Huey module, I could do a lot more with it if there were more options available for sound in the sim. I welcome all feedback from current or former UH1 pilots or crewmembers.
Having said that, I will forewarn you. This mod is meant to be realistic, it's loud in the cockpit and outside the cockpit. Some members of the 1st Cav Div told me that the sound in the cockpit was so loud it was overwhelming till they got used to it. You may want to adjust your speaker volume before using it the first time.

I’d like to thank the all the members of the 1st Cav Div (Virtual) for helping me test the mod and giving feedback throughout its 2 year development, but there are a few who had invaluable feedback due to real word experience:
  • Flyer, a former U.S. Army UH1 pilot/instructor pilot
  • Shek, a current Bell 205/UH1 pilot
  • Samri, a former Australian Army UH1 pilot/instructor pilot
  • GunfighterSix, a current UH60 Blackhawk pilot

This mod is JSGM ready, just drop the whole folder in your mods folder and activate it.

Change Log:

04/26/2016
* Startup sound edited
* New tail rotor sound and tail rotor volume increased
* New cockpit sound
* Added a dynamic tail rotor sound that is only heard when flying above 50-60 knots--you'll just have to test it out.

04/10/2016
* Removed high frequency noise in startup sound

03/17/2016
* Added vibration sound to the cockpit noise for more detailed sound, apparently Hueys are rattle traps

03/11/16
* Adjusted startup sound and adjusted the outer radius to 800 meters
* Fixed miniguns; inside sound was actually the outside sound and no outside sound at all.
* Decreased volume of in cockpit sounds
* Added a faint in-cockpit vibration sound to in-cockpit noises
* More tweaks to startup sound

03/11/16
* Adjusted startup sound and adjusted the outer radius to 800 meters
* Fixed miniguns; inside sound was actually the outside sound and no outside sound at all.
* Decreased volume of in cockpit sounds
* Added a faint vibration sound to in cockpit noises

02/18/2016
* Increased the in-cockpit rockets sound volume
* Decreased the in-cockpit M60 sound volume
* Decreased the outside miniguns sound volume

02/04/2016
* Increased volume of distant thump
* Removed a bug in distant thump that caused a snapping sound to be heard
* Reduced volume of distant thump after aircraft passes by and flies away.
* Changed Startup Sound

**NEW LINK ADDED 12-29-2017**
Download here:https://app.box.com/s/fl4b4k01rkvy2fkir509seftqkyzbn55

Last edited by sSkullZnBoneZz; 12-29-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: test
sSkullZnBoneZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
BaconSarnie

Links duff mate, nothing there
And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"
BaconSarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
sSkullZnBoneZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconSarnie View Post
Links duff mate, nothing there
Give it a few minutes it's still uploading to dropbox
Old 01-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
BaconSarnie

K
And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"
BaconSarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Cibit
Veteran

Nice of you to share it with all, its an amazing mod that I use exclusively really adds to the immersion

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
javelina1
Veteran

excellent! I'll download and try it out today. thank you all for your efforts!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, GTX1080SC, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Rift "S", Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PW Supply, PointCTRL
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
sSkullZnBoneZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibit View Post
Nice of you to share it with all, its an amazing mod that I use exclusively really adds to the immersion
Thanks man, glad to share it.

Liquid Cooled i7 8700K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | TM Warthog
Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Morpheus

Excellent

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
snowsniper

Brilliant Work. THE BEST so far ( I've tested all the sound mod for huey once there is a new one)

Thank you so much !

much more realism and immersion wich such a good sound package ! love the interior sound clap clap and little attention to details, probably like the real one ;-) ;-) ;-)

all my skins :

here
Spoiler:
Core i7-4790 @ 3.6- 4GHz - 16GB
- nVidia RTX 2070 - 2xSSD -
GRANDIN TV screen 39" in 1920x1080 cockpit scale 1:1
- MS FFB2 Joystick
- DIY MIDI Throttle with 14 analogic sliders and knobs
- Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
snowsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
sSkullZnBoneZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsniper View Post
Brilliant Work. THE BEST so far ( I've tested all the sound mod for huey once there is a new one)

Thank you so much !

much more realism and immersion wich such a good sound package ! love the interior sound clap clap and little attention to details, probably like the real one ;-) ;-) ;-)

Thanks a lot!

Liquid Cooled i7 8700K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | TM Warthog

Tags
huey, sound mod, uh1