No appropriate Luftwaffe airfields? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #11
NineLine
Community Manager

I appreciate the suggestions, but I wouldn't want to get rid of any. We won't always be locked into 1944.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
Al-Azraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, but I wouldn't want to get rid of any. We won't always be locked into 1944.
Spitfire Mk.I and 109 E-4 confirmed.
i7 7700K @ 4,8 Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5
Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16 C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen
Caucasus | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy
Al-Azraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions, but I wouldn't want to get rid of any.
Okay. We can always obstruct them with wire and obstacles from the WW2 assets pack.

Quote:
We won't always be locked into 1944.
While I can perfectly understand ED's reluctance to disclose their plans, it means that we, the community, can only go off the information we have. There are three LW aircraft (A8, D9, K4) and my original post was pointing out that the announced airfields are not suitable for any of them. Likewise for the suggestions for alternatives (and even then, the problem is that the map area itself does not suit the D9 or K4). And the suggestions that I made were based on my best guess as to the timeline we'd have to work with. This was why I asked for more information about dates, aircraft, etc..

Quote:
{...} wish away guys if you have one you would like to see {...}
So, given the alreadty existing planeset, anticipating the P47D and DH98, assuming the FW190F8 is still being developed, looking for something suitable for both coalitions, and trying to guess a possible non-1944 era (Battle of France? Battle of Britain? Battle of Dieppe? Operation Steinbock?), and limited to "one" that I'd like to see, I'd recommend:

Rosières-en-Santerre

As a base:

Oct-1939 - May-1940 : No.57 RAF (Blenheim Mk.I)
Jun-1940 - Sep-1940 : Stab./KG1 (He111H), III./KG1 (He111H)
Jun-1940 - Nov-1940 : II./KG1 (He111H)
Mar-1941 - Jun-1941 : II./KG1 (Ju88A)
May-1941 - Jul-1941 : II./KG4 (He111H)
Nov-1942 - Feb-1943 : I./KG6 (Ju88A)
Oct-1943 - Mar-1944 : I./SKG10 (FW190A)
May-1944 - Jun-1944 : I./SKG10 (FW190A)
02? to 15-Aug-1944 : III./JG26 (Bf109G)
Feb-1945 - Apr-1945 : No.21 RAF, No.464 RAAF, No.487 RNZAF (DH98 )
May-1945 - Nov-1945 : 387th AEG (B-26)

As a target:

14-Jan-1944: low-level attack by VIII Fighter Command P-47 Thunderbolts –claimed 2 x Fw 190s shot up and damaged.
06-Feb-1944: bombed by 9th AAF B-26 Marauders.
28-Feb-1944: bombed by 9th AAF B-26 Marauders.
02-Mar-1944: bombed by 9th AAF B-26 Marauders.
03-Mar-1944: bombed by 9th AAF medium bombers (probably B-26s) 5 aircraft shelters destroyed/damaged but runways and landing area unaffected.
12-Jun-1944: LW reported 6 of I./SKG 10’s Fw 190s destroyed and 5 damaged during Allied air attack.
18-Aug-1944: low-level attack by VIII Fighter Command P-51s claimed 1 xFw 190 damaged.
25-Aug-1944: bombed and strafed by 9th AAF P-38 Lightnings runways, hangars, buildings and fuel dumps hit.

References:

http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20France.pdf
https://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/skg10.htm
https://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg1.htm
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/No._21_Squadron_RAF
https://www.ww2.dk/air/jagd/jg26.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._464_Squadron_RAAF
https://www.ww2.dk/misc/ob13840.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosier...terre_Airfield
https://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg4.htm
https://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg6.htm
http://www.stormofwar.org/phpBB3/vie...t=7048&p=54760
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._57_Squadron_RAF

But, seriously, this is just a best guess at a suitable airfield, trying to be as flexible as possible, as adaptable as possible and in the absence of any ideas as to what ED plans and intentions are. No doubt others will have other suggestions too.

What a few (possibly very few) of us are trying to achieve with DCS is WW2 history. This means historical missions, with historical aircraft, scenarios and locations. We appreciate that there are limited aircraft assets, as a result of the extreme detail and immense developmental effort required. Thus we are merely trying to help avoid misdirected valuable development effort by catching errors and anachronisms in advance.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #14
NineLine
Community Manager

The toughest part about our plans is they were 100% impacted by RRG's path.

We are still fulfilling the Kickstarter promises with the Jug and Me 262. Those are awesome aircraft but yet, the RRG plan was all over the board.

SO are real plan right now is to get those promises fulfilled as best we can and the forge out from there. DCS is a sandbox and takes a lot of time to develop for, as we have all seen. To pin us to one era or a specific historic time frame is hard to do (again especially where we were set in motion towards RRG).

I think you will see more variants of existing aircraft made, like the 190A, I believe we will see a 109 variant in the not so distant future. I think we will see some BoB aircraft eventually, all these are much easier to build with the core modules we have now.

We also have to consider the Pacific, there is a free WWII map coming there that will need aircraft and assets.

Back to the map though. I want as many airfields I can beg borrow or steal to get put int there, without making management mad at me I have a bunch of airfields added to my list and I will be requesting them, and not just the French side either. Mission editors need as many choices as they can, then we can have more historical like missions, I think we can do some fun pre-invasion stuff, limited post-invasion, the K-4 is a bit of a pain, but I hope that can be sorted at some point.

And even if you can't find it 100% historical, the map will be a blast for what-ifs or fantasy battles, so try not to be so stuck on historical, although I know it's important as well. We will get there as we flush out DCS WWII more and more.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #15
DefaultFace

Quote:
I believe we will see a 109 variant in the not so distant future.

Sounds great.

In the meantime Battle of Britain II 1946 sounds not too terrible.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
maks

The grass strip airfields around Wissant please if possible?
maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #17
maks

And for near future ? Airfields around Brussels and Deurne Antwerp
maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #18
Al-Azraq

Quote:
The toughest part about our plans is they were 100% impacted by RRG's path.

We are still fulfilling the Kickstarter promises with the Jug and Me 262. Those are awesome aircraft but yet, the RRG plan was all over the board.

SO are real plan right now is to get those promises fulfilled as best we can and the forge out from there. DCS is a sandbox and takes a lot of time to develop for, as we have all seen. To pin us to one era or a specific historic time frame is hard to do (again especially where we were set in motion towards RRG).

I think you will see more variants of existing aircraft made, like the 190A, I believe we will see a 109 variant in the not so distant future. I think we will see some BoB aircraft eventually, all these are much easier to build with the core modules we have now.

We also have to consider the Pacific, there is a free WWII map coming there that will need aircraft and assets.

Back to the map though. I want as many airfields I can beg borrow or steal to get put int there, without making management mad at me I have a bunch of airfields added to my list and I will be requesting them, and not just the French side either. Mission editors need as many choices as they can, then we can have more historical like missions, I think we can do some fun pre-invasion stuff, limited post-invasion, the K-4 is a bit of a pain, but I hope that can be sorted at some point.

And even if you can't find it 100% historical, the map will be a blast for what-ifs or fantasy battles, so try not to be so stuck on historical, although I know it's important as well. We will get there as we flush out DCS WWII more and more.
Sounds great Nineline, we all would like a more in line map with the aircraft we have now but if those are really your future plans, I understand better why you choose this setting. However, I still hope for a future central European map that can fit the later war planes.

I am also a guy who is all in with fictional escenarios although having the possibility of being historically accurate is great as well. Many players always mention the other sim, but even there all servers have 'What If' missions because at the end of the day these sims are sandboxes so let the imagination fly and exploit this.
i7 7700K @ 4,8 Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5
Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16 C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen
Caucasus | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy

Last edited by Al-Azraq; 06-03-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Al-Azraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Azraq View Post
Sounds great Nineline, we all would like a more in line map with the aircraft we have now but if those are really your future plans, I understand better why you choose this setting. However, I still hope for a future central European map that can fit the later war planes.

I am also a guy who is all in with fictional escenarios although having the possibility of being historically accurate is great as well. Many players always mention the other sim, but even there all servers have 'What If' missions because at the end of the day these sims are sandboxes so let the imagination fly and exploit this.
Yeah, 100% I would like to see us move deeper into Europe for sure.
**How to Report a Bug**

Tags
1944, channel, france, luftwaffe, map