Damage Model of Ground Units - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Steinsch

Question Damage Model of Ground Units

Hi,

After getting acquainted with DCS World through the F-15C module, I recently started learning the A-10C. Everything is going smoothly, from cold start to basic navigation and targeting.

I'm now learning the basics of combat employment, and I have a question regarding the damage model of ground units. I understand the damage to aircraft is very well modeled under the latest versions of DCS World. But how about ground units?
For example, if I shoot a tank through the rear with the Avenger cannon, will it be easier to blow it up? Or if I drop bombs and miss the tank, can I still damage its tracks and disable it? If I shoot a truck without hitting the engine or the gas tank, will it still explode?

I'm simply trying to understand what kind of accuracy and thus effort is needed to destroy enemy ground units. Is it hit to destroy? Is it hit enough times to destroy? Or is it hit at the right location, enough time, to destroy?

If this was asked before, please redirect me. Thank you!
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
red_coreSix

The blast damage is currently very badly modelled, however AFAIK they are looking into that.
Regarding tanks and APCs, I know that they take more damage when being shot in the rear and sides rather then the front.
red_coreSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
ralfidude

There is no damage model you speak of. It runs off of hit points or a percentage of health left. You can't "disable" a tank, you have to absolutely kill it... it sucks, but it's the way it is.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
CallsignFrosty

Speaking of Combat Mission games in another thread on here just had me thinking about their damage modelling and how perfect it would be in DCS.

The ability to damage part of the vehicle, i.e. tracks, smoke launcher, optics.
In states like;
Green - 100% working
Amber - Limited use
Red - Completely f*****

Even if the damage was done like rolling a dice e.g. A nearby blast has a 2% chance of taking doing amber damage to the thermal camera on a vehicle and a 15% chance of damaging the radio antenna. Obviously direct hits would be worked out with hit point boxes on the models.

Basically I am bored at work and this is really obvious, especially to the devs lol.
I just wanted to type something instead of working!
CallsignFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Steinsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfidude View Post
There is no damage model you speak of. It runs off of hit points or a percentage of health left. You can't "disable" a tank, you have to absolutely kill it... it sucks, but it's the way it is.
Is there a file where we can see the values of the hit points of various ground units, and how they're affected by the different weapons we can use?
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
ralfidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsch View Post
Is there a file where we can see the values of the hit points of various ground units, and how they're affected by the different weapons we can use?
If you have certain options turned on, you can see the health bar in the F-10 map of units. It's one of the options on the top in the F-10 map. But you will need to be able to see enemies on the map, so server side options have to be changed for that.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Grimes
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsch View Post
Not a single file. Within the Scripts/Database folder there are a number of files that are related to each unit, somewhere in there will be a "life" value which dictates how much HP units have. Also the scripting engine has a function for getting the life of a given unit. That'd probably be the easier way to figure it out. The gist of it is that non armor vehicles are have a life up to 10, lightly armored up to 15-20ish, tanks around 30, and ships can have a few thousand.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
Stix_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Not a single file. Within the Scripts/Database folder there are a number of files that are related to each unit, somewhere in there will be a "life" value which dictates how much HP units have. Also the scripting engine has a function for getting the life of a given unit. That'd probably be the easier way to figure it out. The gist of it is that non armor vehicles are have a life up to 10, lightly armored up to 15-20ish, tanks around 30, and ships can have a few thousand.

Has this changed since this article was posted back in 2015 much?
Because I noted that HE ordinance does not damage armored units as far as I can tell, so it must be more than just hits points?
Stix_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-10, damage, ground units, model