A-10C Discussion - Page 31 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #301
Sierra99
Beta Tester
 
Sierra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 2,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher54321 View Post
The AF sees things differently because they see things you are not party to and have to consider other things (like how do we get to the troops past the line of S-400s), that is why like it or not they are best placed to decide on the best overall platform for the AF and the most effective to support the troops (it is not some conspiracy against the Army).
The best way to defeat a Line of S-400s will be with a string of Tomahawks or CALCMs...We've already proven this in previous conflicts. What makes you think we'd do anything different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher54321 View Post
If the Air Force dictated to the Army what Tanks or Guns to buy (In the same way Army troop think they know what is best for the AF) then you might have some cause for concern. If there are problems between the services then only better communication or working closer could help this.
Army troops and CAS pilots DO know whats better for the job when it comes to Close Air Support. Why? Because for the most part the vast majority of Air Force Leadership is made up of "Zoomies" and "Fast Burners". They're not interested in anything that doesn't get the promoted or a job after the military. The simple fact is, The Air Force chief of staff admitted this is about 1 thing, Funding for the F-35. This about Politics, Lobbyists and what airplane parts get made in what states. Not about whats best for the kids on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher54321 View Post
A lot of the effectiveness of the A-10 comes from the fact that certain communities like the A-10 community specialize in things like CAS, however when they move onto other platforms they should still be able to do the job just as effectively using different tactics, platforms and technology (Similar to the A-10C over the 1970s A-10A) - humans are terrible at dealing with change - but things move on.
No sir, you are wrong. Humans are only as good as the tools they are provided. You can't take the CAS "Community" and put them in an aircraft was was barely designed to FLY let alone do CAS and expect them to "adapt" and accomplish the same mission as well.

If that were true I could watch "New Yankee Workshop" all weekend and make furniture. I guarantee come Monday morning, the furniture in my garage built with a Hand tools, a Hammer and a Circular saw isn't gonna look anything like what Norm built. Why? Because I don't have the specialized tools HE does at my disposal. Same thing goes for the CAS mission.
__________________

Primary Computer
ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #302
Sierra99
Beta Tester
 
Sierra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 2,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
LOL. That's got to be so annoying for the AF officials. A lowly captain now a Congresswoman pushing them around. Of course, as a AZ rep, she has a vested interest in keeping A10's alive (Davis Monthan, AFB). Not that that's her only motive.
Rep. Martha McSally Retired as Full Colonel...
__________________

Primary Computer
ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #303
Sweep
Senior Member
 
Sweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: South 'Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,274
Default

^Two month old posts, btw.

Anyway, here's a cool picture:

__________________
"Salt Shaker" - Long live v1.2.2, home of the 10 minute flight
Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #304
Basher54321
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflash View Post

Isn't 2022 the year the last few get retired did see a schedule.
Basher54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #305
Basher54321
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
The best way to defeat a Line of S-400s will be with a string of Tomahawks or CALCMs...We've already proven this in previous conflicts. What makes you think we'd do anything different?
Which conflict involved taking out mobile SAMs and S-400 types like that again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
Army troops and CAS pilots DO know whats better for the job when it comes to Close Air Support. Why? Because for the most part the vast majority of Air Force Leadership is made up of "Zoomies" and "Fast Burners". They're not interested in anything that doesn't get the promoted or a job after the military. The simple fact is, The Air Force chief of staff admitted this is about 1 thing, Funding for the F-35. This about Politics, Lobbyists and what airplane parts get made in what states. Not about whats best for the kids on the ground.
Rather naive and ignorant statement, when you grow up you might understand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
No sir, you are wrong. Humans are only as good as the tools they are provided. You can't take the CAS "Community" and put them in an aircraft was was barely designed to FLY let alone do CAS and expect them to "adapt" and accomplish the same mission as well.
Speechless - all the best with that.
Basher54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #306
Sierra99
Beta Tester
 
Sierra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 2,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher54321 View Post
Rather naive and ignorant statement, when you grow up you might understand.
Naive and arrogant? OK...let's look at it this way.

How many years did you serve in the US military directly supporting A-10s flying combat operations? Take a look at my profile picture...that's not something I downloaded time the Internet, I took that photo I've been there.

I've talked with Pilots on the Boom and I have first hand knowledge of missions where the A-10 presence saved lives on the ground. How many times have you done that?

How many A-10 drags have you done going into and out of country? (I quit counting at 15...) You know where the extra pilots ride? On the tanker. You wanna guess how many hours I've spent chatting with A-10 pilots about their mission and the capabilities of their aircraft?

How many friends do you have who were A-10 pilots? Not acquaintances... people you go out to dinner with? I actually have a couple...

How many times have you refueled the current darling of the military budget request? Me neither. Every time it was scheduled it cancelled.

With all due respect, You accuse me of being naive and arrogant yet it seems I have more than a little experience with the subject at hand than you do.
__________________

Primary Computer
ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #307
Basher54321
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
Naive and arrogant? OK...let's look at it this way.
.
Your reply was naive and ignorant Yes - I must admit I thought it was a troll attempt sorry.

Stating things as a fact that XYZ are what roughly translates as "clueless morons" based on general hearsay and emotional irrelevant arguments is not a fact in any way sorry.

And the rest kind of explains things - just because you did XYZ doesn't mean you understand what they are talking about does it.

How many years did you spend in the Air Force understanding the issues they have to contend with to deliver that service.

Ever tried talking to F-35 pilots to get their side/take on things? maybe you should when more are up because looking at things from one point of view is never the way to go! What about ex A-10 flyers now in F-35s how do they feel now?

In line with the thread go to 57:30 to hear recent from McSally.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhCgAOOLjs[/ame]

Last edited by Basher54321; 04-13-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Basher54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #308
BoneSaw
Member
 
BoneSaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 114
Default What's up with these helmets?

A10C footage but I haven't seen these helmets before, seems to have some extra electronics in it.

Good views at 12:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVYQ1_4g6o
BoneSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #309
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,627
Default

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142522
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2345347
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118745
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77847
__________________
To whom it may concern,
I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.
Thank you for you patience.


Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true.
.
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #310
Ghostraider
Member
 
Ghostraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany EDLB
Posts: 520
Default

Helmet with integrated Hud / Display (HMCS) looks like used in many Fighters: F-16, F-35, F-22, EF2000......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xos8ljrvkK4
__________________
www.49th.de
Ghostraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a-10, cas, helmet, hud, learning about cas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.