DCS World Mission Database and Search engine by /r/hoggit. Search for the perfect mis - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
raptorsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers View Post
Check it out here, Mission Database is in the menu in the top left.

Here's a quick video demo showing off the major features

And here's an example using OP Talisker's listing page

Here are the highlights:
  • Search by damn near anything
  • Mission Name, tags, text in the description, author, min/max players, weather, filter by aircraft, and many many more
  • Data is automatically generated from the data in the .miz file
  • No more reading mission descriptions on forum posts that are formatted in god knows how many ways and may not even include data like "how many player slots are there" and what kind they are.

Tags are automatically generated (things like "Day", "Night", "Cloudy", "CAS", "CAP" and many many more) and additional ones can be added by users
  • Upvote good missions and comments on missions to find the best stuff quickly
  • Leave and read comments to get reactions from other players
  • Anyone can upload files, you don't even need an account

I'd love to get you guys' feedback on this, I'm definitely looking to make the best tool possible for the flightsim community by hopefully taking some of the sting out of finding quality missions! Thanks!
I've downloaded several missions and there has never been a *.miz file in the zip, RAR or other zip folder. Only files with no extension look like mission, other, weapons, warehouses and so on. How do you get them to play in dcs.

Lt. Commander Jason "Punisher" M

Hardware:
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake, Watercooled
16GBs 2133DDR4 RAM
MSI Intel Z170A GAMING MB
MSI GTX 1070 Ti GPU W/8GBs DDR5 RAM
2 512Gb SSD's & 1 350 Gb HARDDRIVE
Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle
Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 (64bit)
raptorsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #23
Yurgon
Campaign Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorsim View Post
I've downloaded several missions and there has never been a *.miz file in the zip, RAR or other zip folder. Only files with no extension look like mission, other, weapons, warehouses and so on. How do you get them to play in dcs.
Sounds like your browser/download manager auto-detects that the .miz file is in fact a Zip archive and opens it for you.

Can you try to right click a download link and then "Save link as..." or something like that, so that the .miz itself gets saved? That should probably solve your problem.
Yurgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #24
Yurgon
Campaign Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers View Post
@Midnight: Right now you'd have to email me to remove an older version (I guess I should put an email on the site) but in the *very* near future (like probably tomorrow) I'm going to add a feature that lets you type in a mission name on the upload screen in a field titled like "This mission is a newer version or replaces X" and when you search for missions they'll be a note on the page just like for missions in a series that says "This mission might be an older version" along with a link to the newer version.
How is that feature coming along?

I'm not the most active mission builder around here (only two missions published so far), yet one of them had already been uploaded to the Mission Database, and then I updated the mission and re-submitted it, so now there are two seemingly independent versions. It would be great if there was a way to merge them together or at least delete the old one so that people won't get the old content (but the old version has two upvotes which I would like to keep, if possible ).

Old version: http://hoggitworld.com/missions/97/operation-paperboy/
New version: http://hoggitworld.com/missions/214/operation-paperboy/
Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #25
raptorsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
Sounds like your browser/download manager auto-detects that the .miz file is in fact a Zip archive and opens it for you.

Can you try to right click a download link and then "Save link as..." or something like that, so that the .miz itself gets saved? That should probably solve your problem.
I'd go with that but the file I download is a Zip extension. For example combat_rescue.zip not miz maybe I should unzip it then rename the folder to miz

Hardware:
16GBs 2133DDR4 RAM
Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 (64bit)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #26
Yurgon
Campaign Tester

Quote:
I'd go with that but the file I download is a Zip extension. For example combat_rescue.zip not miz maybe I should unzip it then rename the folder to miz
This one?

http://hoggitworld.com/missions/53/combat-rescue/

The download link is: http://hoggitworld.com/media/miz/Combat_Rescue.miz

With Firefox and Chrome, that's exactly what gets downloaded. With Internet Explorer 11, I get the same result you describe, the download is somehow forced to be Combat_Rescue.zip instead of Combat_Rescue.miz.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this was yet another MS screwup with the way IE handles things, but somehow I think it's probably some JavaScript that's run on the Hoggit page (for one, if I use IE to download missions from ED's file exchange, they're saved as .miz, as it should be).

In any case, just rename whatever.zip back to whatever.miz and DCS should be able to run it as a mission.

Edit: When I use the above link, IE still downloads the file as .zip instead of .miz, so I'm fairly certain the problem is not related to any JavaScripts running on the Hoggit page.

I tried to look at the server's response headers to see if they force this behavior, but was only able to view them when downloading with wget. In that case, the headers were fine and I see nothing that would force IE to ignore the file extension and replace it with .zip.

It kinda looks as if IE simply screws up. Well, as I said above, if that's the reason, I'm not surprised either.

Last edited by Yurgon; 09-15-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #27
raptorsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
This one?

http://hoggitworld.com/missions/53/combat-rescue/

The download link is: http://hoggitworld.com/media/miz/Combat_Rescue.miz

With Firefox and Chrome, that's exactly what gets downloaded. With Internet Explorer 11, I get the same result you describe, the download is somehow forced to be Combat_Rescue.zip instead of Combat_Rescue.miz.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this was yet another MS screwup with the way IE handles things, but somehow I think it's probably some JavaScript that's run on the Hoggit page (for one, if I use IE to download missions from ED's file exchange, they're saved as .miz, as it should be).

In any case, just rename whatever.zip back to whatever.miz and DCS should be able to run it as a mission.

Edit: When I use the above link, IE still downloads the file as .zip instead of .miz, so I'm fairly certain the problem is not related to any JavaScripts running on the Hoggit page.

I tried to look at the server's response headers to see if they force this behavior, but was only able to view them when downloading with wget. In that case, the headers were fine and I see nothing that would force IE to ignore the file extension and replace it with .zip.

It kinda looks as if IE simply screws up. Well, as I said above, if that's the reason, I'm not surprised either.
Thanks man I was losing my mind. This was doing it since windows 8.1 for me.

Hardware:
16GBs 2133DDR4 RAM
Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 (64bit)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #28
Yurgon
Campaign Tester

Quote:
Thanks man I was losing my mind. This was doing it since windows 8.1 for me.
Windows 7 here, so the Windows version doesn't seem to have much of an impact. Still, I'm all for blaming Microsoft, because, you know, it's Microsoft. Can't blame them enough, even if it's not even their fault.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #29
HiJack
Veteran

The mission database is down.

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM