Check six?

javelina1

Still a VR noob. I like to fly the K-4 a bit, and with the Rift, check six just ain't happening. What are you guys doing to help improve your rear view, whilst in a combat zone? (I know, never fly straight or level for X amount of time, yadda, yadda...)

Would appreciate feedback and further insight from the VR "vet's". :thumbup:

TIA,

-Jav

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

You can cheat and put your head outside the cockpit but it kinda spoils the immersion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I am getting the feeling that you folks would consider it cheating if I hit Pause and climb out onto the wing. ;)

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It would be even harder to check 6 wearing full flight gear and pulling G's.

Well yes, I would agree with that... ;) No issue, it's a total b*tch... :thumbup:

But my question is more in line with... With my TrackIR, I can swing my eye sight around quite a bit, with minimal head turn tracking, and cover my Six.

Can't quite do that with the VR headset. I'm sure it's part of the FOV that comes with the VR. Ok, that's fine...

Was just curious as to how folks might have tackled this.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I am getting the feeling that you folks would consider it cheating if I hit Pause and climb out onto the wing. ;)

I knew it, you're Wonder Woman flying that invisible plane! ;):lol::thumbup::pilotfly:

Personally, I turn my office chair a bit to the left or right when checking my six.

This makes it a bit easier, and also hurts my back less (my lower vertebrae are fused together so I need to be careful when "looking behind me" while flying).

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Personally, I turn my office chair a bit to the left or right when checking my six.

This makes it a bit easier, and also hurts my back less (my lower vertebrae are fused together so I need to be careful when "looking behind me" while flying).

I do this too. Sometimes I'll even stand up and turn around lol. Obviously not in a fight or you will die :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just do clearing turns. It's what real world pilots would do too.

:thumbup:

This - just like the real pilots did.

No more Linda Blair style head spinning to check six lol, who would have thought we would have to do it by simulating what the real pilots had to do.

The realism VR brings is fantastic imho.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

thumbup.gif

This - just like the real pilots did.

No more Linda Blair style head spinning to check six lol, who would have thought we would have to do it by simulating what the real pilots had to do.

The realism VR brings is fantastic imho.

This!

Well said!

• Like 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

@dburne - "Linda Blair", ha! how true with TrackIR! Hilarious!

@BigDuke - I'm not looking for super powers. I'm still a VR noob and just wanting to understand the capabilities and limitations from the "Vets". Live long and prosper. :-)

Ok - clearing turns become the norm. (thanks Willis).

The beauty of VR is that it brings you closer to the experience of being a pilot, flying one of these aircraft.

The problem with VR is that it brings you closer to the experience of being a pilot, flying one of these aircraft. ;)

Edited by Astronut
  • Like 1

The beauty of VR is that it brings you closer to the experience of being a pilot, flying one of these aircraft.

The problem with VR is that it brings you closer to the experience of being a pilot, flying one of these aircraft. ;)

Well said! :thumbup:;)

True story: Back when I was a WSO in F-4s, I had a friend (also a WSO) who would unstrap and kneel on his Martin Baker facing backwards during DACT against the Aggressors (or even worse, the Navy - had to beat those guys!).

I didn't go that far, but would keep my lap strap loose so I could twist sideways, and run the seat down (counter intuitive but necessary in the pit of a Rhino) so I could look past the seat - otherwise the canopy would prevent you from turning far enough to check six.

Lots of fun when the front seat stick actuator was getting enthusiastic! For negative G's (unloading the jet to get some speed back) I would hook my feet under the rudder pedals and use my legs to keep myself in position.

Damn it was fun!

Vulture

• Like 1

True story: Back when I was a WSO in F-4s, I had a friend (also a WSO) who would unstrap and kneel on his Martin Baker facing backwards during DACT against the Aggressors (or even worse, the Navy - had to beat those guys!).

I didn't go that far, but would keep my lap strap loose so I could twist sideways, and run the seat down (counter intuitive but necessary in the pit of a Rhino) so I could look past the seat - otherwise the canopy would prevent you from turning far enough to check six.

Lots of fun when the front seat stick actuator was getting enthusiastic! For negative G's (unloading the jet to get some speed back) I would hook my feet under the rudder pedals and use my legs to keep myself in position.

Damn it was fun!

Vulture

thank you for your service! would love to have you share more stories! :thumbup::pilotfly:

@dburne - "Linda Blair", ha! how true with TrackIR! Hilarious!

@BigDuke - I'm not looking for super powers. I'm still a VR noob and just wanting to understand the capabilities and limitations from the "Vets". Live long and prosper. :-)

Ok - clearing turns become the norm. (thanks Willis).

Do what the real attack pilots do. You're out of the drone operating station and in the cockpit now :)

Edited by BigDuke6ixx
  • Like 1

Do what the real attack pilots do. You're out of the drone operating station and in the cockpit now :)

That's a big 10-4 brother! :thumbup:

While it's true than checking your six in real life is nowhere near as easy as with trackir in 2D, Oculus heavily limits your peripherial vision. IRL you don't have to rotate as much as in VR to see what's behind you.

Also, when looking back, it helps to grab part of your seat or desk or something else near you that you can push against, it makes easier to rotate your body.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Javelina1 - thanks, but I did it because it was so much damn fun. Did my F-4 training at Luke in 77; remember getting bussed over to Willy to party at the Willy O'club. Fell off the bar that night (we were running on it, and it was of course covered with broken glass and ice...).

When people ask me if Top Gun is realistic, I always tell them that the only realistic scene is the bar scene when they sing "I lost that loving feeling". Except real aircrew would be in sweaty flight suits...

The old back bar at Nellis was wild - saw a buddy of mine remove a young lady's panties with his teeth (on a bet) while maintaining the sweet young things modesty the whole time - she was sitting on a barstool wearing a short skirt and we were all paying close attention!

Is there a "war stories" thread?

Cheers,

Vulture

While it's true than checking your six in real life is nowhere near as easy as with trackir in 2D, Oculus heavily limits your peripherial vision. IRL you don't have to rotate as much as in VR to see what's behind you.

Also, when looking back, it helps to grab part of your seat or desk or something else near you that you can push against, it makes easier to rotate your body.

Yes but; when you are twisted around checking six, your peripheral vision is not as good, so you reallly have to get your head around (unless the bad guy is REALLY close).

Plus most WSOs (and a lot of pilots) wear glasses - so the limits of a Rift or Vive is not so bad.

I was blown away when I flew my son's Rift in the F-86 and A-10!

F-15s and F-16s have grab handles in the cockpit for a reason - to twist around to check 6. No reason not to do the same in DCS.

Vulture

• Like 1

Javelina1 - thanks, but I did it because it was so much damn fun. Did my F-4 training at Luke in 77; remember getting bussed over to Willy to party at the Willy O'club. Fell off the bar that night (we were running on it, and it was of course covered with broken glass and ice...).

When people ask me if Top Gun is realistic, I always tell them that the only realistic scene is the bar scene when they sing "I lost that loving feeling". Except real aircrew would be in sweaty flight suits...

The old back bar at Nellis was wild - saw a buddy of mine remove a young lady's panties with his teeth (on a bet) while maintaining the sweet young things modesty the whole time - she was sitting on a barstool wearing a short skirt and we were all paying close attention!

Is there a "war stories" thread?

Cheers,

Vulture

oh buddy, awesome! Luke is still here, but unfortunately Willy is no more... D*mn! (I know you're aware). But Willy lives on as Phx-Gateway. :)

My Uncle trained out here in AZ, as part of his B-17 final training before being sent over to Europe. AZ was awesome for (and still is) for flight training!

Love it Vulture, share more!

(PM and Friendship en route!)

• Like 1