Flyable B-17G

oscar19681

Thanks for this Silver, I played this and was so enamored of it. I had forgotten much about it till I watched the video and everything came back. Amazing how far Sims have come!

• Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 1 month later...

So I love the b17, and the detail DCS put into this particular nonflyable aircraft drives me nuts. Ive made missions for ai b17s just to watch them work. I would love to fly one, we need a bomber to go with the fighters amd the b17 is iconic. Also, in reference to 'noone wants to fly for 8 hours in a combat sim' being a reason not to release the b17.....um..dont...fly..that far...plenty of aircraft in dcs have long range capability irl. Doesnt mean we are forced to fly across the map

'Because thats what they do irl'. Ridiculous. Also a lot of pilots push formation flying as is. To say dont give us pilotable b17s because single b17s breaks our immersion is also ridiculous. Give me my Memphis Belle <3

Edited by Satchking
Forgot to add some information

A DCS B17 would be awsome, no reason it couldnt be done. Plenty of peiple would buy it and fly it.

But DCS WW2 has issues like damage model, engine heating system, contemporary aircraft matchup and lack of WW2 assets in the assets pack that needs to be sorted before people will get excited for a bomber module.

DCS WW2 is on its knees right now and needs to be competent at just walking before it can run with cool stuff like B17 bombers! (Just my opinion of course).

A DCS B17 would be awsome, no reason it couldnt be done. Plenty of peiple would buy it and fly it.

But DCS WW2 has issues like damage model, engine heating system, contemporary aircraft matchup and lack of WW2 assets in the assets pack that needs to be sorted before people will get excited for a bomber module.

DCS WW2 is on its knees right now and needs to be competent at just walking before it can run with cool stuff like B17 bombers! (Just my opinion of course).

Ok now that is fair. However if they release a single new ww2 aircraft that isnt the b17 before they fix all of that, then they dont have the priorities we do lol

• 4 months later...

B-17 Bombs

I still haven't figured out how to load bombs on the Ai B-17.

No matter what task I assign, the load out page is blank.

VlUNHQq.thumb.jpg.9e086ab4bf79a45f1ef2a2364eaa164e.jpg

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Press "new" on the bottom and then you can load bombs

DUH... Why didn't I think of that. :) Thanks

sz4M0Ns.png.0421752a8132fc08779675eb0dca2daa.png

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Well, I tried it and nothing happened. I named the payload as M65A1*6. The B-17 G can carry up to 8 1000lb bombs. I only loaded 6 and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to write some code? Please help. Thanks in advance

M44RwKp.jpg

91osh8P.jpg[/img]

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

• 5 months later...

I would love to be able to fly the B-17, B-24, B-25, A-26 and so on... in WWII maps and missions. It is true in my experience the it is nearly impossible to get anyone to sit still for longer then 20 minutes waiting for action. Part of the challenge back then was just that, i.e, the boredom and sleepy drone of the engines and beat of all the planes around you.

I love the Lancaster and would buy a flyable version instantly. I don’t feel 4 engined heavies are the best fit for DCS though, they need a crew management sim/game tagged on to get over the fact that flying them mostly provides little action.

The Mosquito, Beaufighter, Wellington, JU88, JU87, ME110, A20, B25 would make better choices gameplay wise. I do think 4 engined planes would sell though,everyone thinks they want to fly them. It’s just would they sell well enough to balance out the huge amount of work to produce them.

• 3 weeks later...

Man I just downloaded Microprose B-17 the Mighty 8th from steam. I used to play this way back when. Didn’t take long everything started coming back to me (game play controls function etc.)

It was a blast! Once over the channel the 2 squadrons of B-17’s met up with a squadron of P-47’s and a little bit behind was a squadron of P-38 lightings

The mission didn’t take that long, in fact it was exactly like the dcs Normandy map (an out dated crappy version of it anyway LOL)

The black puffs of flak were all around, 2 17’s went down a few more got heavy damage but kept on flying, most made it home, one went down in the channel. FW-190’s were attacking.

It was very cool even with the crappy crappy crappy graphics.

After we made it back to England went to the debriefing and not one bomb from the whole squadron hit the target, my tail gunner was killed. Went back to my office and there was a letter from the commander ripping our ass and basically saying we sucked. Oh well just another day in the Mighty Eighth.

Then I had to make the mistake of going into my dcs game and checking out the B-17G model in the encyclopedia tab (when I got the WWII assets pack I downloaded all the B17 skins I could find) the latest up to date skins are AWESOME!

That B-17 model is very very highly detailed it’s got an interior and crew in there (how bad ass!) such a very beautiful model!!

Now I too wish dcs could make a flyable B17

Could you imagine The Mighty Eighth game play with all dcs eye candy!!

Man you could sell that no problem.

More texture fun:

ogR2o11.jpg?1

The B-17G template is huge. There are 2 .psb files (which is different than a .psp .psb stands for photoshop "big") one is 2.87GB and the other is 3.14GB I'm running Photoshop CS3 and when I open it, it says many layers are corrupted and won't come in right or are just blank.

Man KIZIR_77 I don't know how you matched your nose art and name between the 3 different surfaces (bottom, side, and left gunner window) the only way to do this is with trial and error or actually have the model and bring it into Photoshop 3d.

I took the easy way out and jus made it work on the side surface.

I tried the way you said Sprool and I couldn’t get them to show up in the editor, which was odd because every other module I have works the way you said.

I had to follow what KIZIR_77 said and put them in my main game folder. I put the files in both my Stable version and my Open Beta version. And they work in both versions

And the path had to be:

DCS World\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries\B-17G

I also tried to create that path in my saved games folder and it still would not work.

Only would work if I put them in my main game folder.

I had the B-17 take off from an air base in England just to see if it would, and it did!

But then I loaded it with bombs and with the weight it would need a longer runway to take off from. All the runways are a pretty much same length. Let it keep going off the runway and it started to lift but then the woods were to close and boom!!

I tried the way you said Sprool and I couldn’t get them to show up in the editor, which was odd because every other module I have works the way you said.

I had to follow what KIZIR_77 said and put them in my main game folder. I put the files in both my Stable version and my Open Beta version. And they work in both versions

And the path had to be:

DCS World\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries\B-17G

I also tried to create that path in my saved games folder and it still would not work.

Only would work if I put them in my main game folder.

So strange, I cant get my head round all the differnt file paths for differnt textures. I dont even have a DCS World\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Liveries\B-17G folder but at least you got em working.

Yeah it is strange.

So get this. I made some way points for the B-17 and set it to take off from ramp. My last waypoint for it was at 15000ft just short of the French cost. Didn't know what would happen, I just wanted to follow it in my P-51.

So it started itself up taxied to the runway and took off.

I followed it and when it got to the cost it started lowering its altitude and I watched it land at an air strip in France, so I landed there too. It landed taxied and parked and shut its engines off. In my excitement I ****ed up my landing bent my prop and jacked my landing gear on the opposite side of the air strip. I didn't die so I popped the canopy and walked all the way across the air strip to the B-17 LOL

When I got there the crew door was open so I looked inside. This was real interesting.

Would be so cool to have a B-17 game that kinda played like the Microprose game also like Silent Hunter or UBoat where you could walk around the compartments, take different crew positions also walk around the plane after the bombing mission and check out how half your tail was shot and flaked off or how the whole Bombadeir plexie glass nose section was blown off with blood stains where Kowalski was sitting. And of course you would have to be able to jump from 1st to 3rd person anytime you wanted too.

That would be my dream game!

Pic of B-17 flying:

Lf28XQe.jpg

Pic of me walking up to the open crew hatch:

NRyWgnr.jpg

E6ncDMa.jpg

Looking up in the crew hatch, hi Bob LOL:

UKm73YH.jpg