Radio help needed

clanitho

Hi,

does someone can do a tutorial about radio management, because i can't communicate with my wingman or ATC ?

thanks guy's.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

The radio works mostly by using presets, but you can manually set the radio frequency from the front panel after you press "-" button on the main radio control panel.

I haven't yet seen any good, clear description of how to select channel presets, much less change the frequency on the panel.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

First, turn off the easy comms, it's not working with the Viggen.

Second, don't touch the FR24 mode selector (located behind the radar stick), its broken currently, it will make the radios inoperative!

The main radio (FR22, V/UHF) has three "parts":

1. Special preset channels (marked red)

2. Base selector (marked blue)

3. Group selector (marked yellow)

Rw6u91J.jpg

1. Special preset channels

Buttons H, 1, 2, and "no name" (should be Special 3 :D) are the presets. The frequencies can be set in the mission editor, and can be viewed in the kneeboard.

l6BIpJc.png

By default, the H is set to guard frequency (121.5MHz), Preset 1 is your flight frequency (i.e. wingman).

The other presets seen in the kneeboard (E, F and G) are used by the backup UHF radio (FR24), which does not work at the moment.

Button "-" is used for manually dialed frequency.

2. Base selector

Used to communicate with the ATC. The right knob is used to select the base, with its number displayed on the window next to the knob (does not work). The buttons associated with the knob (marked blue) are used to select a particular ATC frequency. All bases numbers and frequencies can be found in the kneeboard.

Z1hdGgN.png

For example, you want to contact the Anapa ATC. You can see from the kneeboard that its number is 1, therefore turn the knob to that number. You can also see in the kneeboard all the frequencies for Anapa ATC. Since the main radio is VHF/UHF, you can choose either 121MHz or 250MHz. As seen in the kneebard, the channels are A and C, respectively. So press button A/G or C/F.

By default, your starting airfield number is already selected at the mission start.

3. Group selector

Used to communicate with other flights (e.g. AWACS). Again, all the channels are in the kneeboard (see the second image, Groups).

For example, if we want to contact the AWACS, we can see its channel is 1-1. To contact it, turn the left knob to 1, and press the number 1. The first number indicates the group number (i.e. turn the knob to that number), the second number a channel within that group (press the corresponding button).

Unfortunately at the moment the right knob can only be turned by the keys, and the window display doesn't work.

• Like 10

Many thanks grunf, now it's more clear.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Great job explaining that Grunf. (Sorry, can't rep you again so here is a virtual +1 :thumbup: )

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, this explains why my wingman was deaf, I was on easy comms!:thumbup:

Is the defective tuning wheel on the fix list?

Also we can only assign groups or units to radio attack menu, a runway attack or complete mission radio menu would be nice.;)

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Here are some detailed facts about the radio(s).

FR-22 / FR-24

The increased utilization of the VHF-frequencies forced a transition to the UHF band (225 – 400 MHz) for the military aviation radio.

Constructed in 1964 it was the first flight radio to have both VHF and UHF frequencies (for legacy support) and could use both FM and AM and it was designed for the AJ 37 aircraft. It was supposed to be in the JA variants as well, but since the 35F Draken also needed a VHF/UHF station (but couldn’t house the large FR-22 system) the FR-28/FR-29 was developed and designed to fit both JA37 and 35.

The functionality of the system is:

· Voice communication airplane – airplane

· Voice communication airplane – ground

· Monitor guard channel

· Present audio signals from other equipment in the aircraft

· Intercom for two seater variants

· Intercom with ground personnel and GCI through wire

The FR-22 control panel has 2 preset rotary switches and 20 push buttons. Only one button can be pressed (radio button), releasing any previously depressed button.

The left preset switch is for voice/GCI and has 42 presets (indicated at the left). Each selection has 10 sub presets with preprogrammed channels, selected by the 0 – 9 buttons below.

The right preset switch is the base selector and has 84 presets (indicated to the right). Each selection has 5 preprogrammed sub presets, selected by the buttons directly above.

The top row has 4 individually programmed buttons and one manual frequency mode selection buttons.

The control unit is a fully mechanical construction with punched mylar tapes setting the individual frequencies for each sub preset/channel. A light barrier construction transfer the settings “digital” to the frequency selector (non mechanical –controlled by 5 VCO’s broadband transmitters).

VHF, 103,000 – 159,975 MHz (25 kHz channel separation)

UHF, 225,000 – 399,95 MHz (50 kHz channel separation)

AM and FM modulation on both bands.

VHF AM – 25W

VHF FM – 50W

UHF AM – 10W

UHF FM - 20W