Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

shagrat

Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

• East Afghanistan (Nuristan, Kunar, Nangarhar, Khowst) and Pakistan border
    • Southeast Afghanistan around Kabul (Kabul, Wardak, Paktia to Paktika)
    • South Afghanistan (Helmand, Uruzgan, Kandarhar, Zabul)
    • The northern regions (Kunduz, Baglan, Samangan,Balkh)
    • West Afghanistan (Herat, Farah and Nimrus) and east of Iran

• 3 weeks later...

Sincerely, I would love to see the region between Bagram AFB and the Pakistani’s border, including the Nijrab, Tagab, Alasay, Surobi, Uzbin, etc. valleys.

I was there in 2008-2009 and it’s a kind of challenge, especially for the A-10, the upcoming AH-64 and the «F-15E, plus the C-130 gunship and others helos.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, Fuujin said:

I was researching the movements of the US military from the 9/11 attacks in the US in 2001 to Operation Anaconda in March 2002, and I wanted to reproduce it on DCS: Afghanistan map.

With no Iraq map planned, I hoped for DCS: Afghanistan map to create a campaign that replicated operations involving F-14s, but unfortunately that seems unlikely.
Jacobabad Air Force Base in Pakistan was the base where the AH-64Ds and A-10s (& also C-130 Gunships?) were stationed during the early days of Operation Anaconda.

Afghan Map.png

DCS Afganistan was finally confirmed by Wags on January 2023.

I have found my post I deleted has been re-posted with significantly reduced the content and has changed the purpose of the remarks, so I will re-post deleted my post again.

I was researching the movements of the US military from the 9/11 attacks in the US in 2001 to Operation Anaconda in March 2002, and I wanted to reproduce it on DCS: Afghanistan map.
However, a quick look at this thread made me think that might not be possible.
Because I learned that the size of the DCS map could not even include the Northern Arabian Sea, or even Pakistan (is that true?).
Operation Enduring Freedom began with Tomahawk attacks from US Navy ships in the Northern Arabian Sea, followed by preemptive strikes on key targets by US Navy aircraft alongside US Air Force bombers.
F-14As and F-14Ds were involved in the attack, along with F/A-18Cs and EA-6Bs. In addition, F-14Bs were involved from the end of October 2001 to Operation Anaconda in March 2002.
With no Iraq map planned, we hoped for an Afghanistan map to create a campaign that replicated operations involving F-14s, but unfortunately that seems unlikely.
Jacobabad Air Force Base in Pakistan was the base where the AH-64Ds and A-10s were stationed during the early days of Operation Anaconda.
AV-8Bs launched from US Marine Corps ships in the Northern Arabian Sea is also involved from November 2001.
F-15Es and F-16Cs flew long distances from air bases near the Persian Gulf to engage.
If DCS: Afghanistan map included (at least) Pakistan and the Northern Arabian Sea, we would have experienced the real hardships of fighter pilots.

Afghan Map.png

Well, Jacobabad isn't that far, and it would be nice to have that. Northern Arabian Sea could be outside the detailed area, we just need some water to put the carriers in. It is a huge area, but South Atlantic did something comparable. Although, keep in mind the maps are flat. From what I've seen, on the South Atlantic map, this results in some inaccuracies. You won't notice looking out of the cockpit, but when planning a mission it could matter.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

As Nick hinted at some more News in the upcoming "2024 and beyond" video in his interview at VIAF, I am stoked to see what we can expect.

The map technology has made incredible progress over the last years, with the graphics engine tackling performance way better and handling quite large and detailed maps.

Fingers crossed, we see a large low detail area down to the Arabian Sea and the Eastern parts of Pakistan... It would be a dream come true. 🥰

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

With Afghanistan confirmed and the hint of „another map completing the region“, I have to say, I hope it’s not Iraq.

As much as I appreciate an Afghanistan map, I‘d rather not have another „desert map“ beyond that. I‘d much more prefer a Vietnam or Korea map.

When ED is neglecting a Vietnam/Korea map, I hope they do it because they know that somebody else is on it!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

More than that, he also mentioned another map of an area situated nearby... fingers crossed for Kashmir conflict. 🙂

I think he said another map released in two parts which would connect the region. That makes me think Iran and Iraq. 

• Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

With Afghanistan confirmed and the hint of „another map completing the region“, I have to say, I hope it’s not Iraq.
As much as I appreciate an Afghanistan map, I‘d rather not have another „desert map“ beyond that. I‘d much more prefer a Vietnam or Korea map.
When ED is neglecting a Vietnam/Korea map, I hope they do it because they know that somebody else is on it!
Actually, ED has confirmed that both Nam and Korea will come eventually, and they will do it themselves for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I think he said another map released in two parts which would connect the region. That makes me think Iran and Iraq. 

That's a possibility, I mentioned in another thread that the problem with doing Iraq for ODS-era scenarios is mostly around the fact it'd have to be absolutely humongous to cover all the bases (pun intended). Splitting it into two maps is one way of handling this. This would include a sizable portion of Iran. Hopefully, it'd be set up in such a way that Iran-Iraq War, as well as Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom era scenarios could be set there.

4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Actually, ED has confirmed that both Nam and Korea will come eventually, and they will do it themselves for obvious reasons. emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

That‘s good news (for me anyway 😅). Except I‘d rather have them before another sandbox. 😫 But I‘ll be patient, as always 😁 (😫)

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I'd like to fly where British apaches flew from "Apache" and "Hellfire" books.

MSI z790, i5 13600k128 Gb DDR4, RTX 4090, 980 pro 2 Tb, 4 SATA SSD, 3 HDD, SB AE-7, Acer 35" curved UltraWide 200Hz, LG CX 55" HDR 120Hz G-Sync, Logitech G510s, Razer Tartarus v2, Naga hex v2, Pico 4 256 Gb, Thrustmaster WARTHOG, RS FSSB MK II Ultra, TPR pedals, Cougar MFDs, Logitech flight switch and radio panels, x56 throttle, Saitek throttle quadrant, Trackir 5, Buttkicker gamer+, Logitech G920 with pedals, shifter, handbrake, Steam controller, Sony Dualsense, Edifier s760d 5.1 540Wt, Beyerdynamic dt 990 (600 ohm), dt 770 pro (250ohm), Razer stream controller, Elgato stream deck XL

FC3, A10-CII, AV-8B, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F-18, Viggen, Mirage F1, M2000, C-101, MB-339, Sabre, Mig-15, Mig-21, I-16, Spitfire, Bf-109, 190A8,D9,  P-47, P-51,  Mosquito, Ka 50-III, Mi-8, AH-64D, Mi-24, Gazelle, NS430, Supercarrier, ALL maps, CA, WW2 assets pack

Not really excited about an Iraq map. It would seem to be a lot more of the very same, but in the end all the maps are nice and good for some kind of fun.

Afghanistan, good mountains. That might be nice.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Kola Peninsula gonna be a refreshing brake from Caucasus. Afghanistan will be nice too. 
For me I got enough of desert. I do not fly online and have no need for historical grounds of battle in Middle East. At least not until we get Vietnam. That is my first choice

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Kola Peninsula gonna be a refreshing brake from Caucasus. Afghanistan will be nice too. 

Yes! Kola will be very welcome. Really looking forward to seeing what ORBX can do with DCS tech.

2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

For me I got enough of desert. 

Yeah, I think I have enough sand between my toes as well. That said, I would still get the Iraq map even though I'm not that hot on it.

Top End Australia, however, I'm going to need convincing on that one. As Dot Chuckles said about that map on Deephack's podcast, "Why? I mean... why?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Top End Australia, however, I'm going to need convincing on that one. As Dot Chuckles said about that map on Deephack's podcast, "Why? I mean... why?"

Because they can do it. Has the same situations with NTTR by ED as first map... make training areas to Australian units with Us and allied. The same situation if anithing make a map of CFR Suffield (Canada) or other.

Am 15.12.2023 um 17:18 schrieb Hiob:

The majority of Afghanistan is not remotely(!) a Desert. Eastern provinces are lush mountain valleys with timber industry as a major income, northern areas are a mix of mountains, hill and uzbekian steppe. The only desert is the Dasht'e Margo South of Kandahar and the region west of the Helmand valley.

I personally am mostly interested in real life locations with well documented conflicts, which both Afghanistan and Iraq maps would provide. The decision to create a map in the Persian Gulf and deliberately omit Kuwait, Iraq, Iran's western border to Iraq was "interesting". I think I have a pretty good idea about the reasons, but as DCS maps can't really be used to plan a specific target run, I would have preferred the whole Persian Gulf Map moved some 500km to the west.

My guess for the "other map" is strongly in the Pakistan/India Border region, though, as it would make a lot of sense. 😇

• Like 2

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

1 hour ago, shagrat said:

I personally am mostly interested in real life locations with well documented conflicts, which both Afghanistan and Iraq maps would provide. The decision to create a map in the Persian Gulf and deliberately omit Kuwait, Iraq, Iran's western border to Iraq was "interesting". I think I have a pretty good idea about the reasons, but as DCS maps can't really be used to plan a specific target run, I would have preferred the whole Persian Gulf Map moved some 500km to the west.

We need remember the first persian gulf name for that map was "Strait of Hormuz map"... and on the first years when ED claim about the map, was very recent the 2011–2012 Strait of Hormuz dispute... we can see very clear the first intention of ED building a map with a past and actual real conflict, and no center on the "clasic iran Irak" conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–2012_Strait_of_Hormuz_dispute

Edited by Silver_Dragon

6 hours ago, Beirut said:

Yeah, I think I have enough sand between my toes as well.

In that case, you're gonna like Afghanistan. It's a whole lot of mountains, somewhat arid, but far from another sandbox. You'll get a lot of rocks, some green and some beige, as well. Hot and high conditions will make it a challenge for helos, and there's plenty of difficult terrain to zip through in fixed wing aircraft. It'll be quite unique, I think. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

In that case, you're gonna like Afghanistan. It's a whole lot of mountains, somewhat arid, but far from another sandbox. You'll get a lot of rocks, some green and some beige, as well. Hot and high conditions will make it a challenge for helos, and there's plenty of difficult terrain to zip through in fixed wing aircraft. It'll be quite unique, I think. 

Sounds great! I think my Ka-50 will be very happy there. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Am 15.12.2023 um 19:58 schrieb Dragon1-1:

That's a possibility, I mentioned in another thread that the problem with doing Iraq for ODS-era scenarios is mostly around the fact it'd have to be absolutely humongous to cover all the bases (pun intended). Splitting it into two maps is one way of handling this. This would include a sizable portion of Iran. Hopefully, it'd be set up in such a way that Iran-Iraq War, as well as Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom era scenarios could be set there.

Though I‘d hope for a north and south splittend Vietnam map……a two part Iraq map, also maybe north and south splittend, is a reasonable theater. Was hoping for this as well.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Dragon1-1:

Yes, Afghanistan map will be great for helis offering lots of challenges…..It will find lots of friends in the DCS community and will sell very. I‘m looking really forward to it.

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - CH-47F - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Silver_Dragon:

We need remember the first persian gulf name for that map was "Strait of Hormuz map"... and on the first years when ED claim about the map, was very recent the 2011–2012 Strait of Hormuz dispute... we can see very clear the first intention of ED building a map with a past and actual real conflict, and no center on the "clasic iran Irak" conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–2012_Strait_of_Hormuz_dispute

Does not change the decision to make the wrong part of that area... 😁

Any place of the earth had its couple of days "conflict", but Iraq/Iran border down to Kuwait, with the 80ies Iran-Iraq war, Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Southern Watch/Northern Watch, Operation Iraqi Freedom and the recent war on ISIL in Iraq, that saw engagements with a lot of available DCS' aircraft is definitely(!) more interesting than Operation Praying Mantis, a one day long naval engagement sinking some rusty Iranian boats in the Strait of Hormuz with the upcoming AI version of the A-6E Intruder... Just saying. 😇

P.S.: I personally think the reason to NOT create an Iraq map is connected to the fact, that the Persian Gulf map has the whole island of Bahrain missing, as well as the key locations of Kharg island and Busheer in southern Iran... but I might be wrong on that one.🤔

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

vor 6 Stunden schrieb corbu1:

Yes, Afghanistan map will be great for helis offering lots of challenges…..It will find lots of friends in the DCS community and will sell very. I‘m looking really forward to it.

Not only for helos! Lots of current DCS fixed wing jets will benefit from a real life scenario, as well. The AV-8B Harrier, the F-15E, the F/A-18C, the F-16C, the A-10C Warthog(!) and even the Mirage2000C with a bit of leeway saw action in the war on terror and OEF. 😎

• Like 2

Shagrat