South Atlantic Terrain - Work In Progress

SUNTSAG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I find it a little strange that this map doesn't fit to any existing or planned Razbam modules. I kinda thought the surprise might have been that (MiG-23 is a great surprise by the way).

I don't find the idea of "what if" scenarios plausible either. What if what??? We have no British or Argentinian aircraft that fit even a "what if scenario".

Anything happening on this map will have to be hyper-fictional, which doesn't really fit to DCS. Is there something we as yet don't know?

Otherwise it would have made much more sense to make a map to compliment the already released modules.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Eh, there's a community MB-339 ready to go, there's the community A-4 that's still being developed and looks better every month, the Harrier sort of fits (even though I realize it's too modern its aa capabilites are actually worse than the Sea Harrier in many ways), and Razbam supposedly is also working on the Mirage III, so there's actually quite a few planes that fit.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced by community modules. I doubt anyone is making a commercial level fully realistic module for free. Even if by some miracle we get a high standard A-4 for example, it makes no sense to plan and support a map based on this. The Harrier doesn't fit, unless we get a UK variant (which might happen as I understand it?). As for the Mirage III, correct me if I'm wrong, but wrong variant also.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I agree about the community modules but those two do look good (I personally haven't seen any community module to the level of the 339, it may not be commercial level but it's definitely very very well done), and honestly if we were to obsess over variants we wouldn't be flying anything at all. The Warthong and Eagle versions are also off by ~10 years, and the Sabre we have served in Europe rather than Korea and pretty much never faced Mig15s, just to name two. The truth is we are never going to get picture-perfect historical accuracy in aircraft lineups, and that's fine because that's not the goal.

I'm with Boris. It's great that we're getting another map but at the same time we'll again end up with a fantasy world play ground rather than a compleate, comprehensive scenario simulation.

How we can hope for a good show if all of the main actors: Sea Harrier, Super Etendards, Mirage III are missing.

That's the issue with DCS. We get a great modules but are not able to achieve a theater simualtion.

Think how much a better fit for current and future DCS a Norwegian-Barents sea map would be instead of the Falklands. As for community modules. C'mon, they are not the core od DCS nor should be a driving criteria for deciding which map should be implemented.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I'm with Boris. It's great that we're getting another map but at the same time we'll again end up with a fantasy world play ground rather than a compleate, comprehensive scenario simulation.

How we can hope for a good show if all of the main actors: Sea Harrier, Super Etendards, Mirage III are missing.

That's the issue with DCS. We get a great modules but are not able to achieve a theater simualtion.

Think how much a better fit for current and future DCS a Norwegian-Barents sea map would be instead of the Falklands. As for community modules. C'mon, they are not the core od DCS nor should be a driving criteria for deciding which map should be implemented.

Once they’ve got the FI under their belts then there should be no stopping Razbams third party map development, who knows what we’ll see next? The FI will be ideal Harrier territory in a hypothetical USMC vs campaign.

Boris and Harry, name one post WWII combat that took place in the current DCS Maps, that included fixed wing aircraft other than SU 25... I rest my case ;)- You know you are sitting at home infront of a computer right? Being a FANTASY Pilot.. arm chair pilot.. you dont even wear a G suit.. or do you? LOL.. Until you get Syria.. or Vietnam or Lybia or Iraq... no real air battle can be simulated; and even then, You fly what 20 missions ang go home ditch the sim?

Computers simulations are WHAT IF by definition....

besides, 1st Map is a tough one. They chose a small very barren area to learn skills..I gess.. Of course YOU would radder tehy kept the Alpha test for temselves? think of this map as an alpha test... besides theres is a larger world out there... outside the US ;)

Boris and Harry, name one post WWII combat that took place in the current DCS Maps, that included fixed wing aircraft other than SU 25... I rest my case ;)- You know you are sitting at home infront of a computer right? Being a FANTASY Pilot.. arm chair pilot.. you dont even wear a G suit.. or do you? LOL.. Until you get Syria.. or Vietnam or Lybia or Iraq... no real air battle can be simulated; and even then, You fly what 20 missions ang go home ditch the sim?

Computers simulations are WHAT IF by definition....

besides, 1st Map is a tough one. They chose a small very barren area to learn skills..I gess.. Of course YOU would radder tehy kept the Alpha test for temselves? think of this map as an alpha test... besides theres is a larger world out there... outside the US ;)

Don't misunderstand me, I'm very happy they're making this map. In fact I've wanted a Falklands/Malvinas scenario for a long time.

Yes, you're right, no real world conflicts involving most of the current modules have taken place on the other DCS maps either.

I don't need to, nor want to, reenact real world conflicts. I'm fine with "what if" scenarios.

My confusion about this map is that it doesn't really allow for "what if" scenarios that make any sense or have any plausibility, unless we have aircraft that belong to potentially interested parties.

By contrast, the Persian Gulf was an excellent choice. It allows for plausible scenarios involving US vs Iran and there are many aircraft that fit to both sides: F/A-18, A-10C, AV-8B vs Iranian F-14s and F-5s for example.

Eh, there's a community MB-339 ready to go, there's the community A-4 that's still being developed and looks better every month, the Harrier sort of fits (even though I realize it's too modern its aa capabilites are actually worse than the Sea Harrier in many ways), and Razbam supposedly is also working on the Mirage III, so there's actually quite a few planes that fit.

I'm amazed sometimes in this forums. People want pixel perfect representations of the planes, to the point of getting strange variants justified cause devs have acces only to those variants. And then are perfectly fine of flying in certain conflicts totally off variants. And example, flying Malvinas/Falklands with A-4E or Mirage IIICJ will be like flying the Battle of Britain with Spitfires Mk.21

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

It's all make believe. Set up a perfect " Battle of the Bulge" .....and the German side wins.

And a lot of players on the Allied side are flying the ME109...thats realism?

Wait...someone will make the maps we would like to see. If more aircraft are developed and I dont really care if they are FC-4 or not, personally it would be fine. I dont have the time too wait for the aircraft I would like to see, since they are on the 3-4 year plan. I have enjoyed many of the planes that are wanted here, already, in other simulators. I might add that some of those sims are almost as real as DCS.

It does not bother me that some functions are not 100% accurately coded.

Laz

(...)And example, flying Malvinas/Falklands with A-4E or Mirage IIICJ will be like flying the Battle of Britain with Spitfires Mk.21

Fine with me! Like flying WW II over the Caucasus with Bf.109 K4, FW-190 D9, P-51D and Spitfire IX... :music_whistling:

I have build a Helmand (Afghanistan) Scenario for NTTR. Lots of fun!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Fine with me! Like flying WW II over the Caucasus with Bf.109 K4, FW-190 D9, P-51D and Spitfire IX... :music_whistling:

I have build a Helmand (Afghanistan) Scenario for NTTR. Lots of fun!

Then please don't act as a pixelperfect taliban.

Any chance of a full fidelity vulcan module to go with this!?

No

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Then please don't act as a pixelperfect taliban.
I didn't... :dunno:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I didn't... :dunno:

It was a generic answer, not mean to annoy you. As you sure know a lot of people here are ultras against FC level aircraft, or using certain missile on ceratin block of an aircraft. But have not a single remorse of using totally wrong variants on Malvinas for example.

It was a generic answer, not mean to annoy you. As you sure know a lot of people here are ultras against FC level aircraft, or using certain missile on ceratin block of an aircraft. But have not a single remorse of using totally wrong variants on Malvinas for example.
Ordnance/missiles is different, as it often requires certain avionics, equipment and software installed. So to just fling a GBU-38 (JDAM) under an F-5E doesn't make sense, as the F-5E has no GPS and no internal systems to give the JDAM a coordinate.

But I understand the point in general. Why people are so obsessed with certain versions of an aircraft "never" used a certain type of bomb/weapon, that can technically be loaded and dropped, and on the other hand they have no issue to happily "program" the laser codes into their LGBs from the loadout page in-flight, while IRL the code is set on the bomb before being attached to the plane...

I personally would not mind if a plane that has pylons capable of dropping Mk-82/Mk-83 family bombs being capable of dropping ALL bombs of that family. Including LGBs with fixed codes or Snakeeyes or whatever.

The MiG-21 has a shitload of weapons in its arsenal... Anybody really has prove they ever dropped a nuclear weapon from the MiG-21??? I mean it can in DCS and nobody complains much about it.

Shagrat