"Real" AJ37 Viggen Simulator

Goblin

I hope this post isn't out of order...

Last saturday I visited NovelAir in Gävle, Sweden, to fly their J35 and AJ37 simulators. The simulators feature real cockpits, with real instruments, working HUD/Sight etc. View is projected onto 3 forward screens and one backward, that can be viewed through the mirrors. The simulator is Prepar3D.

Both sims had working G-pants and the Viggen even had harness restrainer and G cushions in the back and seat, which added a lot to the simulated experience.

I also got to try their Oculus Rift CV1. Ordered one yesterday! 'Nuff said! ;)

Can't wait for the DCS:AJS37..!

These are pics of me in the AJ37 sim.

P7235378_zpschobzvfa.jpg

P7235374_zpsmz2nq4xx.jpg

P7235375_zpsct77p0pw.jpg

Often thought about heading up there, and giving them a try. Worth the money and the trip (some 400km just to get there)? How much flying time do you get?

And Im with ya on the Viggen, cant come soon enough :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yea, I'd imagine time is supersonic too in those cockpits :)

I just love that Viggen cockpit. So unique. A little bit of west, a little bit of east.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Nice. :)

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been there aswell. Lots of fun and yes, 1 hour is waaaaaaay to little time. :-D

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

I tried a "Jaktviggen" simulator at the F21 Museum. unfortunately most of the instruments where broken so only the Artifical Horizon (plus vertical velocity) and the map display (only function was zoom in or out)

e1e0bfbdcb.jpg(Me in the "Jaktviggen")

Also came to the conclusion that personally I prefer the J35 Draken over the Viggen (ill still get it for DCS) Based on the cockpit.

I tried a "Jaktviggen" simulator at the F21 Museum. unfortunately most of the instruments where broken so only the Artifical Horizon (plus vertical velocity) and the map display (only function was zoom in or out)

e1e0bfbdcb.jpg(Me in the "Jaktviggen")

Also came to the conclusion that personally I prefer the J35 Draken over the Viggen (ill still get it for DCS) Based on the cockpit.

That simulator got some pretty bad "feeling" in the joystick. You have to give ALOT of input in order for the aircraft to bank, it's really weird lol.. Nothing like the real thing behaves. The simulator NovelAir has and the one at F15 Museum Söderhamn, is ALOT better. As close you can get.

I noticed that myself, (the stick beeing very unresponsive). I would like to go the NovelAir and fly the J35 Draken Simulator (and possibly the viggen) but the problem is I live so far up north, (basically on the border with Finland).

I have been thinking of doing a "Museum Tour" type of thing where i plan a route down various museums and simulator points and then back, but that'd have to be for next summer.

I hope this post isn't out of order...

Last saturday I visited NovelAir in Gävle, Sweden, to fly their J35 and AJ37 simulators. The simulators feature real cockpits, with real instruments, working HUD/Sight etc. View is projected onto 3 forward screens and one backward, that can be viewed through the mirrors.

How the mirrors were? Do you get good wide field of view to rear, or is it fairly narrow just covering your tail?

As one thing that I wondered long time was how narrow field of view those mirrors in DCS look like, and in reality they look far more round so they offer wider field of view.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The mirrors give a rather narrow view. They are used for checking your aircraft, other traffic when on the ground and the position of your flight (wingmen). They have very little tactical use. If an enemy get close enough to be seen in your mirrors, you have already lost the fight :)