Some pics of the worlds only airworthy AJS 37 Viggen, Gustav 52.

robban75

it sure is a good looking bird =>.

I just wish they had painted the AJS 37 in the Splinter camo it wore for most of its career (and all of that particulat AJ/AJS 37s career)

Because it feel that is the way a Viggen "should look" and its the way most of us swedes remember it

(even if plenty of JA 37s had a grey Paintscheme the splinter camo was still the typical Viggen "look")

Very nice! Excellent work.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Is it private owned or does it still belong to the swedish Air Force?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Man that is one UGLY plane!

But Leatherneck did such an awesome job with the MiG-21 I may have to get it anyways just because it's a Leatherneck product.

Another system to learn while I wait for my F-4 Corsair and f-14 :D

But Leatherneck did such an awesome job with the MiG-21 I may have to get it anyways just because it's a Leatherneck product.

1+

I can't wait to try to take-off using reverse thrust, if you know what I mean. :D:D

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ugly? I think it's beautiful! Not the 2 seater though. :D

Thanks for the pictures Robban!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I find it to be beautiful and impressive, maybe mostly because of how it is engineered for the specific requirements of the Swedish Airforce. No other fighter existed which could fill the same requirements, and I would be surprised if those demanding requirements can be fulfilled by any existing fighter since Viggen. Fun fact is that the stubby design is because of the very wide and large engine, which was (at the time of introduction) the largest in the world (for single engine fighters).

I don't know anything about this jet...What are the special demanding requirements you speak of

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I don't know anything about this jet...What are the special demanding requirements you speak of

The original requirements were:

Main usage, a single seat aircraft for attack, fighter and reconnaisance roles.

First and foremost an attack aircraft with limited capabilities in the fighter role.

Basic type: single seat, single engine aircraft with twin engine safety, good field performance as well as ease of maintenance.

STOL-performance. Being able operate from straight stretches of rural highways only 500 meters long even during winter.

Low level combat range 400km, carrying 2x Rb 304.

Low alt performance Mach 1.0 at ground level.

The ability to take off and land within 500 meters was probably the main factors in shaping the aircrafts overall design. Large powerful engine with an thrust reverser. Huge wing area with flap equipped canards. :)

• Like 1

What robban75 listed but also many others of course. For example that it should combine both shallow approach (no flare) whilst still being able to stop on a very short runway. This was to be able to use landing strips in poor condition with less then ideal surface. Hence the special wing and thrust reversing.

The most special feature in the whole design was probably that it was designed to be handled by ground personnel with very limited training and limited equipment on road bases whilst still having an extremely quick turn-around time (landing, refueling, rearming and taking-off again).

The most special feature in the whole design was probably that it was designed to be handled by ground personnel with very limited training and limited equipment on road bases whilst still having an extremely quick turn-around time (landing, refueling, rearming and taking-off again).

This is true for most Swedish military equipment to this day. :-) The J 29 Tunnan for example was designed so that most of the daily maintenance could be done by a conscripted teenager using nothing else but a philips head screwdriver.

This is true for most Swedish military equipment to this day. :-) The J 29 Tunnan for example was designed so that most of the daily maintenance could be done by a conscripted teenager using nothing else but a philips head screwdriver.

Also to look adorably plump.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!