New AB effects?

Strikeeagle345

Great shot. I couldn't care less if the afterburners were blue, purple or pink, just want to fly the Cat as soon as possible ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Someone on Reddit pointed out this was a screen cap from the below link. Hopefully they didnt just edit the colors on the screenshot and this is the AB effect we will be getting.

This link is time stamped:

D3BLV6M0Jbo

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

The color you observe in a photo is what that camera captured. It is close tot he human eye but it isn't. Depending on time of day, temperature, and engine health, the color of the afterburner will have differences. I've seen an F110 on an F-16 look pink purple and the same burner blood-orange. I've seen it look like an opaque torch as natural light fades and I've seen it look transparent and barely visible in the daytime. Fixing a color to an AB is troublesome.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The color you observe in a photo is what that camera captured. It is close tot he human eye but it isn't. Depending on time of day, temperature, and engine health, the color of the afterburner will have differences. I've seen an F110 on an F-16 look pink purple and the same burner blood-orange. I've seen it look like an opaque torch as natural light fades and I've seen it look transparent and barely visible in the daytime. Fixing a color to an AB is troublesome.

That what I was thinking, I also wonder if fuel quantity and quality comes into play?

The few times I have had the privilege see F-14s fly at night (either at air shows or doing touch and gos) the burners looked purpleish/blue, daytime orange like a bag of Cheetos.

Same goes for a lot of aircraft, the visible light spectrum plays a lot of tricks on the human mind and eye. To further complicate things a lot of imaging sensors will also spit out weird colors if they and the system (or medium) used to display or process them are not calibrated.

Edited by ironroad

That what I was thinking, I also wonder if fuel quantity and quality comes into play?

The few times I have had the privilege see F-14s fly at night (either at air shows or doing touch and gos) the burners looked purpleish/blue, daytime orange like a bag of Cheetos.

Same goes for a lot of aircraft, the visible light spectrum plays a lot of tricks on the human mind and eye. To further complicate things a lot of imaging sensors will also spit out weird colors if they and the system (or medium) used to display or process them.

my point was, on average, the tomcats burners in daytime are very orange (to the naked eye) not purple and redish like they are or were. At night, they are almost a brilliant bluish purple.

granted there are many variances but on average this is what you get.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog