Pulled the trigger

Svsmokey

As I said above, it defaults to 1:1. If you put a value in the check box, your physical IPD will show everything as 1:1 in the DCS world. Changing that value changes the 1:1 ratio, so that the world is smaller or larger depending on which way you go.

I am not sure I follow you 100%.

Lets say I have two people, A and B

Say A has a real worl IPD of 70mm, and B has a real worl IPD of 55mm

If I uncheck the box in DCS (Thus letting it use its default value), how does it default to 1:1 for both people, as dcs does not know their IPD's?

I am not sure I follow you 100%.

Lets say I have two people, A and B

Say A has a real worl IPD of 70mm, and B has a real worl IPD of 55mm

If I uncheck the box in DCS (Thus letting it use its default value), how does it default to 1:1 for both people, as dcs does not know their IPD's?

Of course DCS doesn't know their physical IPDs.

Did you read Skate's post that I linked to earlier?

Your physical IPD has a unique value, i.e. the distance between your pupils. It is used to make the image you see at its sharpest and most clear.

The DCS world IPD is simply a world scaling factor. Its value is not unique, and has no bearing on image sharpness or clarity. It's the distance between the left and right renderers. (In other games, this IPD is called 'World Scale'. I have no idea why ED have confused this issue by calling it IPD in DCS.)

So, for your real IPD with the box unchecked, you are seeing everything at 1:1. Image will look the same to the user no matter what their real IPD is. Changing the DCS IPD just changes the renderer's 'inter pupillary distance', and so the effect of that is that objects seem larger or smaller depending on what value you set.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Changing the DCS IPD just changes the renderer's 'inter pupillary distance', and so the effect of that is that objects seem larger or smaller depending on what value you set.

That part of your own answer implies DCS uses some value as a default if one does not tick the box and enter something else. If you look at my original question, I was merely asking if someone knows what the default value was.

I believe the IPD is passed to the game by SteamVR (or whatever runtime is used to interact with the headset). It is not just to match the physical distance of your pupils within the headset, it is also needed to adjust the 2 cameras in game (one for each eye) properly. There wouldn't be any stereo effect if the cameras aren't spread apart as our eyes are and the scale will be wrong if the distance doesn't match your physical IPD.

That said, this should be the default value used by the game - the IPD passed from the VR headset. If it is set on HMD and read by the driver/game properly and there are no scaling bugs in the game (e.g. assets are made 1-to-1 with real prototypes, etc.), you shouldn't even need to adjust anything in game (if you need to, then probably there's a bug somewhere).

However, SteamVR's runtime does seem to fail at reacting to HMD adjustments on my Vive lately.

i7-8700K, GTX 1080Ti, 2x16Gb DDR4, 250Gb Evo 970 NVMe, 1Tb Evo 970 NVMe, HTC Vive Pro, BRD-F3, VPC MongoosT-50 base, grip and throttle

That part of your own answer implies DCS uses some value as a default if one does not tick the box and enter something else. If you look at my original question, I was merely asking if someone knows what the default value was.

I think it's more a case that DCS IPD should be called maybe "World Scale" at least changing the DCS IPD value changes the DCS world scale so your perceived view port is either closer or further away from "DCS World" view port. Kinda like stepping back from a window or moving closer to a window.

I would assume simply enabling it and keying in the IPD measured in your HMD setup would be a 1:1 same as disabling it should also default to 1:1

HTH.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I think it's more a case that DCS IPD should be called maybe "World Scale" at least changing the DCS IPD value changes the DCS world scale so your perceived view port is either closer or further away from "DCS World" view port. Kinda like stepping back from a window or moving closer to a window.

I would assume simply enabling it and keying in the IPD measured in your HMD setup would be a 1:1 same as disabling it should also default to 1:1

HTH.

Yeah, I understand its not really IPD, even though it sounds like some are recommending you set it to your real IPD.

What I meant was, as I understand it, if you tick the box, and you change the values, stuff will become larger and smaller, but what value does it use when nothing is ticked.

For instance, if I tick it and set 80, and everything becomes smaller (I am guessing here) and then I set it to 50, and everything is bigger, what value would make it the same as not ticking it.

The reason for my question is, it sounds like its quite difficult to "See" the difference, so it would be good to have a specific base value that I have been using all along (By not ticking it) to compare to whilst testing.

Will give it a go soon, sounds promising from some of the reports I have read :)

Cheers

Of course DCS doesn't know their physical IPDs.

Did you read Skate's post that I linked to earlier?

Your physical IPD has a unique value, i.e. the distance between your pupils. It is used to make the image you see at its sharpest and most clear.

The DCS world IPD is simply a world scaling factor. Its value is not unique, and has no bearing on image sharpness or clarity. It's the distance between the left and right renderers. (In other games, this IPD is called 'World Scale'. I have no idea why ED have confused this issue by calling it IPD in DCS.)

So, for your real IPD with the box unchecked, you are seeing everything at 1:1. Image will look the same to the user no matter what their real IPD is. Changing the DCS IPD just changes the renderer's 'inter pupillary distance', and so the effect of that is that objects seem larger or smaller depending on what value you set.

Well from an optics point of view, your IPD is often not exactly the same from center either. Optometrists measurements from center can be different for each eye for some people, or nearly the the same for others.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, I understand its not really IPD, even though it sounds like some are recommending you set it to your real IPD.

What I meant was, as I understand it, if you tick the box, and you change the values, stuff will become larger and smaller, but what value does it use when nothing is ticked.

For instance, if I tick it and set 80, and everything becomes smaller (I am guessing here) and then I set it to 50, and everything is bigger, what value would make it the same as not ticking it.

The reason for my question is, it sounds like its quite difficult to "See" the difference, so it would be good to have a specific base value that I have been using all along (By not ticking it) to compare to whilst testing.

Will give it a go soon, sounds promising from some of the reports I have read :)

Cheers

Work it out for yourself what the default is for you. Check and uncheck the box while changing the DCs IPD value when actually in cockpit. When checking and unchecking makes no difference to the image you are seeing, then that is your default. Compare it to your actual IPD, and I think it’ll be close. Mine is 68 with my IPD of 69.

The view you see without checking the box is your default 1:1 for your physical IPD.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think I recall the value being like 63 or 64 for the default. I could be totally wrong on that though.

Also I'd play around with .5 increments with whatever IPD you pick. My best result was at 67, headset set at 68.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think I recall the value being like 63 or 64 for the default. I could be totally wrong on that though.

Also I'd play around with .5 increments with whatever IPD you pick. My best result was at 67, headset set at 68.

The ‘default’ value must be different for each IPD as what you see unchecked is 1:1!

As I suggested, yours is close to your IPD, 67 compared to 68.

I believe the IPD is passed to the game by SteamVR (or whatever runtime is used to interact with the headset). It is not just to match the physical distance of your pupils within the headset, it is also needed to adjust the 2 cameras in game (one for each eye) properly. There wouldn't be any stereo effect if the cameras aren't spread apart as our eyes are and the scale will be wrong if the distance doesn't match your physical IPD.

That said, this should be the default value used by the game - the IPD passed from the VR headset. If it is set on HMD and read by the driver/game properly and there are no scaling bugs in the game (e.g. assets are made 1-to-1 with real prototypes, etc.), you shouldn't even need to adjust anything in game (if you need to, then probably there's a bug somewhere).

However, SteamVR's runtime does seem to fail at reacting to HMD adjustments on my Vive lately.

This is what I think happens too. DCS has to know what the HMD IPD is in order to set up the 1:1 initial position for the renderer for each individual.

But it doesn't know.

Why do you say that? Do you think that players with IPDs of 55 and 70 with their HMDs set appropriately see different images on startup?

To me, it seems likely that the HMD will pass the setting for IPD to the renderer and that determines the 1:1 starting point.

The way I see it is that your HMD IPD is the physical spacing between your pupils. How you perceive things like distance and scale is dependent on that factor, combined with your brain being trained to know what that spacing is. I think of the HMD IPD as being the eyes, and DCS IPD as being the brain controlling how you perceive the world. I don't think that DCS takes the IPD from your HMD to set default scale, because my perception of the DCS world changed when I manually set my IPD (70) in DCS. Since 70 is wider than average, and everything got a little smaller and further away when I set it manually, I'm thinkng the default IPD in DCS comes more from an assumed average, and not so much the physical IPD of your HMD. If your brain thinks that your eyes are 67mm apart because it has been trained for that, but suddenly your eyes move 3mm further apart, things will suddenly get a little bigger and appear closer. I think that's what we're seeing in DCS. That's my take on things anyway, and my own observations support that hypothesis.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I wish someone would give us the definitive answer on this.

I still believe that everyone sees the same image on startup regardless of their IPD. It would make no sense for it to be otherwise. The DCS IPD setting is a fairly new thing, and I’m sure that prior to its introduction, we would all be seeing the same image of the DCS world.

I wish the same thing. Its really not possible to know for sure if everybody is seeing the same image because we don't really have a common frame of reference to go on. Since I'm in various cockpits on a daily basis, my frame of reference is that I know what things should look like, and before I manually set my IPD everything just looked too big. That was even before we had the option of setting it. This might also be part of the ongoing debate in our community about whether the full HUD should be visible all at once. It is for me with my settings, but for others its not all visible no matter what they try. I think that comes back to what your frame of reference is, so its all very subjective and difficult to quantify.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I agree, but anyone can do the test to see what their default value is.

I set mine according to physical cockpit fit. My outer arms while seated shouldn't be merged into the canopy rails, and the stick should be where my stick is, and throttle pretty much on too. Amazingly the MFD's are now readable including the colored map of the hornet. When I roll my head to look back and around it's right there on the seat head rest where it looks right, works for me.

I set mine according to physical cockpit fit. My outer arms while seated shouldn't be merged into the canopy rails, and the stick should be where my stick is, and throttle pretty much on too. Amazingly the MFD's are now readable including the colored map of the hornet. When I roll my head to look back and around it's right there on the seat head rest where it looks right, works for me.

That’s great, but it’s not helping us with the issue we are discussing. Which value of in game IPD gives you the same view, i.e. 1:1, when box is unchecked and checked?

So my in-game ipd defaulted to exactly that set on the Rift . The cockpit view feels perfect , with my shoulder strap appearing exactly where it should . Interesting how much smaller the pit looks in VR , comparred to the monitor .

My conclusion is that , at least for the Rift , the headset reports its ipd setting to DCS , barring coincidence .

As to what "force ipd" function is for , i'll leave to others .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So my in-game ipd defaulted to exactly that set on the Rift . The cockpit view feels perfect , with my shoulder strap appearing exactly where it should . Interesting how much smaller the pit looks in VR , comparred to the monitor .

My conclusion is that , at least for the Rift , the headset reports its ipd setting to DCS , barring coincidence .

As to what "force ipd" function is for , i'll leave to others .

Excellent! I think that shows that what we've been surmising is correct. It works the same for me on the Vive Pro, so maybe we're getting somewhere!

As we have said all along, it's the only logical situation.

The Force IPD setting should just be regarded as a world scale slider. Other games in fact call it 'World Scaling'.