The Normandy Map - A Appreciation

Hawkeye60

The Normandy Map - A Appreciation

With a few , it appears, unhappy members with their purchase of this map,

I felt it appropriate to play "The Devils Advocate" and present a slightly opposing view.

When I first began My DCS ( journey, addiction, insert your own adjective.....),biggrin.gif

I was, and sill am in love with WW II.

Helicopters win this battle quite often, but I always return to the war-birds.

So imagine my joy when the Normandy map became available!

After so long a wait......

I was in heaven!

Much time has passed since the joyful day.

New assets were added

2.5 happened

New

Caucasus!!

Persian Gulf Happened!!!

Hornets appeared!!!!!!!

More joy and happiness!

Normandy is up-dated!

Can I stand it?biggrin.gif:megalol:

So much to learn and explore......joystick.gif

A couple Months go by......

One afternoon, And it was a beautiful afternoon,

I decided to take "Betsy" My Mustang out for a ride in the country.

( I name ALL my War birds.....Helicopters too.......then I know who to swear at when everything goes to hell in a hand basket.....):lol::megalol:

So I warmed her up and taxied to the runway.

Boy, Felt like a old friend!

Very quickly it became apparent I needed a bit of "Practice" Before I could get off the ground......:mad:

She ain't no Hornet.......LOL

Once safely in the air, I began my explorations.

Lets find the new windmills!

It was only a short time before a giant grin had appeared upon my face!

Ahhhhhhh, I miss the old days.......

Things were so much simpler then......

Man and Machine!

As I gazed out the cockpit, the ever present grin showing, I sent a HUGH THANK YOU to ED for bring my dream to DCS.

I was in Normandy!

In Betsy! And she was happy!

Now before the rebuttals begin, I wish to state that the map is not perfect.

Nothing in life is.

Speed trees is a must have.

Additional WW II units as well.

More airfields in England would have been nice......

I do not expect the map itself to be expanded.

Yet for all the warts and bumps, I still, to this day, marvel at my good fortune!

DCS quality War birds....Check!

WW II Normandy map to play on.......Check!

Possibility of more improvements? Check!

So to ED and the whole Map team,

Thank You!

You made a old guy Happy!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I don't thnk many are saying they don't like the map, but that they don't think it should be described as finished or even that close to finished. Personally I like the map, I'm happy to fly around on it, but I'm surprised by some of the comments suggesting it is nearly done.

Forum posts often get heated, it's not a great medium for communication sometimes. Personally I'd like to see the detailed area expanded outside of the ALG areas.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I don't thnk many are saying they don't like the map, but that they don't think it should be described as finished or even that close to finished. Personally I like the map, I'm happy to fly around on it, but I'm surprised by some of the comments suggesting it is nearly done.

Forum posts often get heated, it's not a great medium for communication sometimes. Personally I'd like to see the detailed area expanded outside of the ALG areas.

All valid concerns.

I look at this as a Glass halve full, not halve empty.....

And, How would you feel if the project you worked months on was slammed and complained about?

Even if those comments were justified?

I find the best approach to getting improvements to ANYTHING, comes from something Mom taught me, long ago,

"You catch more flies with Honey than vinegar"

Holds true even today!

So how about more, "Please add this or fix that" , than "I wasted my money on this map"

If enough members ask, (Nicely! ) they may listen!

I know for a fact that Ed read the forums all the time to see whats going on.

Rest assured,

They do see your concerns.

BTW,, Nice Snoopy!

_________

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I don't disagree, I hope I've been respectful enough. I've only posted a couple of posts in the last day on different threads. I don't think it's bad, like I said, just don't think it is finished yet.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

Exactly that. Can’t think of anyone who doesn’t like flying around the map. As said, it’s the finished status of the map that is causing concern. No matter how much we all care about and enjoy this map, the fact is that it is n Early Access, i.e. still undergoing development, but there are strong statements coming out to suggest that no more development will take place.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box