Verified pilots to highlight there posts

DracoLlasa

If its already been discussed then my apologies, i did some looking and didn't see anything like it

Verified Pilot Badge

RL pilots get a badge or similar to identify them (if they want) to other forum members as having the RL experience to allow their posts to be taken in better context the discussion.

Who gets them

With a basic Moderated handled verification process, any pilot who has experience with any aircraft for which there is a proper DCS Module or one to be released in the near future can elect to submit their info.

Why Now

As we are getting a number of modern hi fidelity modules and more on the way soon™ for which there are a number of community member that have flight experience on (hornet, tomcat, viper, etc). It seems to me that it would be a good time to see if we can try and allow their comments to stick out where appropriate.

What would users see

As a regular member, we would see either a badge or similar icon with their posts that shows them as 'Verified', and/or they could be in a slightly different color or shade to the font or the post box. The effects could vary, such as badges that always show on all of their posts, but a verified hornet drivers posts would only be different color/shades in the hornet sub forum. I had done vBulletin admin years, i think there's a few ways to do this.

Also i'm not saying all of these things should be done, or only these.. vBulletin (and vB Mods) really allow for a lot of different option.

What about non-pilots with RL experience?

I would really like to see something similar for ground crew members, but in order to keep it under control, it should be limited. We don't want someone getting a special badge identifying them as F-14 GC cause for a one week 15 years ago they helped changed the tires on 6 birds.. or something like that.

If this idea is taken up, then i would leave it to the ED team to how best to provide verification to those from the ground crew, who many times have just as much or more info on the actual systems and certain procedures.

I think this would help regular members better judge the replies from those that may have more real knowledge, and it would serve a second purposes of allowing those that want to participate a way of proudly showing off their service and expertise

We can discuss further if others think this is a good idea.. or not.

**Note - i didn't post this in the wish list thread cause i thought it was a bit larger than a wish list item, and might benefit from some discussion. **

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Interesting idea.

My initial thought is to reject it, though. I've been engaged in discussions with people identifying themselves as RL pilots, who I considered to be terribly clueless and condescending. And then there is a much higher number of people I suspect are pilots, or work in aviation, who have an insanely high degree of knowledge, and the desire to share that knowledge, without identifying their RL job.

You suggest to limit this to pilots with experience on current or announced DCS modules. Many RL pilots will have a vast knowledge and the ability to share it, even though they've not flown any of the DCS modules IRL. Maybe they're Vietnam era pilots who transitioned to the airlines, or they fly for countries less represented in DCS.

And then, who is to say a VFR only rated PPL with a thousand hours experience is less of a pilot, or has less to say from a pilot perspective, than an F-16 guy in training?

All things considered, I wouldn't mind this feature, but my guess is that people with this type of badge would then be referred to as god-like by some forum members, regardless of the content or credibility of their posts. I don't really see the gain. To put it differently, there's a whole bunch of forum members whose words I practically take for granted because I have come to value their contributions to this forum; a badge next to their name, or lack of such a badge, would not change this appreciation.

Then again, I'm not a RL pilot; maybe I'd see things differently if I was and had the option to gain such a badge. ;)

your comments are all valid, and i do understand that there could be issues with it, just like anything.

on point of getting 'verified', the intent was that the member would be able to privately provide some sort of basic info that would be enough to meet the requirements. so someone who is in training for an F-16 wouldn't be eligible until they meet the requirements (x number of hours, or years, or whatever). Again this would also apply to appropriate ground crew, someone who has enough time working on the bird to meet the requirements (whatever they might be)

anyone that has been around the forums a long time would not really need this because they would generally know the people already, but that is only a very small % of the user base.

So as an example: If someone posts a question in the F-86 forum, and gets three replies, one of which is from a member that has been verified as ground or pilot for that aircraft would be noticable. The same verified person posting a reply in the Fw-190 sub forum would not be identified as anyone authoritative so would hopefully prevent a false sense of authority in the reply.

again, how they are identified.. badge, icon, post block or text color highlighting, etc, there are many options would be kept to the applicable forum.

Its not perfect, i know. I just thought about it while reading some threads. In one thread i found out that a person was an experienced pilot, and as a result i went back to some previous threads with posts from him and it was helpful to know that his response was based on RL experience which in this case was valuable (it may not always be, but still)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

From a personal data aspect, it's not workable, It's putting the onus on ED to hold private data about someone and perform some vetting process. And inherent in that, it's mainly American's personal and professional military data held on a Russian server without control. No offence, but the number of objections to this by one party would wreck any chance of it achieving success.

Mainly treat everyone as you would do in any Internet format, with any data. Cross reference the hell out of the information. Pilots happen to be fallible humans too, you know.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

yea i concede.

maybe in perfect world there would be something..

it was just a thought i had when reviewing some threads... and thought, man it would have been nice to know 30 minutes ago that the posts i was reading from 1 or 2 specific people were from people with real experience.

my thought with the verification was not to have ED hold, maintain or keep any data. I was just thinking if there could be some semi-straightforward way a forum moderator could do a validation without compromising security or privacy for a person that wanted to willingly participate.

Anyway, as i said i will concede.

It sounded good in my head initially, thanks for all the feedback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

my thought was that it was always to be voluntary, but regardless, i have conceded to it not being an acceptable idea

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]