Reflective Tape

AMEDooley

This may sound silly, but since we are getting an USN version the pilots need to have white reflective tape on the helmets. It is required of all Navy and Marine Corps pilots. Most also have the squadron mascot on them with colored reflective tape. Razbam did put the camo cover on their Harrier pilot, which is correct marine pilots not on the boat used a camo cover usually a desert one. Please make this a reality it would do wonders for my sanity!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
This may sound silly, but since we are getting an USN version the pilots need to have white reflective tape on the helmets. It is required of all Navy and Marine Corps pilots. Most also have the squadron mascot on them with colored reflective tape. Razbam did put the camo cover on their Harrier pilot, which is correct marine pilots not on the boat used a camo cover usually a desert one. Please make this a reality it would do wonders for my sanity!

+1

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

• 2 months later...
Systems aren't being worked on by the texture or 3d artists.

I think they might be working on something else at the moment *Cough* Viper *Cough*

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 4 weeks later...

It's probably a lot lower on the to-do list considering the amount of more necessary systems that are being developed. I'm fine with the incorrect helmet for now as long as we're getting improvements to the actual jet.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

When I fly I hardly ever put myself outside the cockpit. I'm also mostly concentrating on the job at hand. I never understand why such detail is so important?

My helmet could look like a massive onion for all I care. I've got other stuff going on.

Low priority way down the list stuff.

Who said it's important?

All I see here is a simple question, wishlist item requested by the OP.

There are quite a lot of people interested in details like these and while coders are working on getting the aircraft systems up and running, artists do their job.

I do not feel it is unimportant. After all we also paid for this. The whole thing is important in all things. Personally, I would not welcome it if I had to fly with an onion in formation.

ED could have avoided such a topic from the beginning.

Exactly...we purchased/paid for a representation of a 2006 US Navy Hornet...we don't have that yet and every detail matters.

We recently had new skins added so someone is still working on the artwork. No reason that this is still an issue.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Right now the helmet is actually an incorrect model, so it's not just something that can be fixed with a retexture, they have to make a new model for it. Wag's has said that it will be adjusted, but getting systems working in the jet itself is far more important right now.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

The 3D Artists are working on something else at the moment.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

...Low priority way down the list stuff.

I thought this was worth a bit of consideration (not directed at you in particular Mr Mule!) regarding priorities in general.

While minor things like this certainly shouldn't be at the top of the to-do list, it's IMO not a good idea to immediately put them all the way to the bottom either. If you do, eventually there will be a monumental list of 'minor' issues that when combined really start to impact on the user experience.

One example of a 'minor' issue that's been around forever and has never been fixed that drives me mad is the inconsistency of wind direction (ME, ATC, briefing and actual wind direction don't all match, with some being out by 180 degrees).

If we're going to discuss helmet colors then we should also mention that the body of the pilot in the Hornet is still clothed in a USAF flight suit rather than a USN one, patches and all. The pilot as USAF gear on as well, not USN.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I do not feel it is unimportant. After all we also paid for this. The whole thing is important in all things. Personally, I would not welcome it if I had to fly with an onion in formation.

ED could have avoided such a topic from the beginning.

Well if all matter is when you fly in formation, looking on youtube 5 minutes you can get a tutorial how to use photoshop or any low-cost image editing softwares to edit DDS and make the helmet white, from that distance, you'll never see the difference specialy if in VR. ;) Until they attend to this small detail. And i'm pretty sure if someone pushes the learning a bit about Roughmet, you could fake a reflective tape, not sure, i personaly don'T really care about these details, i'm more into airplanes detailed liveries than helmets i'll never pretty much see. But that is my opinion :)

Edited by Doum76

The whole helmet is misrepresented. I will not be on ED side in such matters :disgust:. Michael Schumacher also did not drive a green helmet in a red Ferrari... .A texture mod is not a solution.

Greeting Falk

But agian my friend, if you'd be in a F1 sim would you care about the driver helmet which you mostly never see? :) But again, i might be selfish, cuz i set my mirror off due to CPU limitation so maybe that's why i don't really care as i do not see my own reflection in the mirrors and when i watch replays, i am too focused to look at the brillaint work done on the F-18 and not the pilot from a distance, got to say when i eject and look down in VR, i feel like i'd need a few good steaks and greasy fries to gain some more weight :) (or should i just loose about 20 lbs in RL :)

I am concerned with the principle. These are little things that affect the overall quality. Just because you (ED) have no time for that does not mean it's okay. This is also a quality feature !.

This can scare off customers. The customer is always king. After all, we pay with our self-earned money.

Eagle Dynamics will certainly be working on the 18 until the end of 2019. Let's see if they can do this :sleep:...I am getting old.

Regards

Falk

I was just teasing you, a lots of us are attentionned to small details and each of us have their own small details preferences. I don't pay attention to the helmet, but when the Hornet came out, i paid attention on the RCAF liveries, that one squadron had the Canadian flag on the tail and the other not, and one had roundels on wings and the other not, small details some didn'T cared, but i did, so i am no way better. :)

The wrong colour or shape of the helmet isn’t going to scare people away if only 0.1% of the possible audience cares or even knows what it should look like in the first place. The pilot will most likely get adjusted later on in the development cycle. There are other already reported graphics things that we have been told won’t happen until another pass later on in development.

Proud owner of:

Everyone has their own quirks. I myself love the attention to detail. Heatblur does it right in my opinion.

They attach great importance to detail ! and that comes from the heart. I really think the Hornet is one of the best modules in Dcs. The potential certainly lies not only in systems. All she represents is what she is.

The Hornet :thumbup:

Don't wanna hijhack the OP's subjet, but i'll simply agree with you, Heatblur will do an amazing with the Tomcat, as much as i loved this bird when i was a kid, grew up with G. I. Joe. :) But, as much as nice it'll look, not sure i'll get it, 1st, the Hornet is my favorite bird ever but most, i tried once back then in another Sim i won't name, a F-14, and, the massive frame around the HUD is a total turn off for me, makes me feel claustrophobic. I've been dreaming for a Hornet in DCS for so long, earl 2009/2010's, no way i'll cheat Betty for Jester :P This module is so nice, i enjoy as much watching replays and landings than actualy fly it, in VR this bird is just amazing, sad i cannot see and enjoy my helmet. :P

:pilotfly:

If we're gonna nitpick helmets, I can't spare Heatblur that criticism either. A mid-90's F-14B with crew using helmets in a configuration that was out of service by 1988? They should be in HGU-55s or -68s, definitely not -33s with EEK-4 visor assemblies. Never mind that the HGU-33 is iconic thanks to that movie and that the texture work is fantastic. It'll have to be within tolerances, cuz they ain't gonna fix it. They said so.

If ED ever gives us an option for the Hornet pilot to be wearing an HGU-87 without the JHMCS and proper reflective tape cover, I'll be happy. If not, I'll rely on the modders to at least knock up decent helmet textures. It won't keep me out of the cockpit.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png