Rudder control

Donut

Is anyone else having a tough time with rudder control during takeoff and landing? I am having the most difficult time keeping the F-16 straight and under control. I do not have any difficulty whatsoever with the F/A-18 or F-14 and don't even need any rudder input during takeoff/landing unless there is an asymmetrical loadout; but even then, rudder input is minimal and very easy to control. I am finding the F-16 on the other hand to need rudder at all times during takeoff/landing and the rudder input is extremely sensitive on top of that. With the other aircraft, I use a rudder axis curve of 25 which has worked out perfectly. With the F-16, I am using a 50 curve and still find it too sensitive to the slightest of inputs. All of this is with no wind and a clean jet.

Does anyone having any tips? Is this realistic behavior?

On a side note, there is the following thread in the Bugs section that may or may not be related...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251375

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

The NWS seems to get real sensitive when you start speeding up, need to shut it off around 60 and switch to using rudder to keep it steady, the brakes also seem to help with a light tap at times on left or right to stop drifting.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Check your axis in the windows device manager? Maybe its acting wonky, I don't have any issue with the rudder, I just make sure I turn off the NWS before I start takeoff roll, or in really high crosswinds I turn it off reaching about 50knots takeoff roll.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Yup, I turn off the NWS at around 70kts, with my nose pointing straight down the centreline, and yet I still often need almost full rudder to stop the aircraft leaving the side of the runway before takeoff.

My crosswind rudder pedals have a small deadzone and definitely do not leave that deadzone unless I tell them to. I'm not touching the pedals at all until the plane starts to veer away from the centreline.

Agreed to all above, ground roll behavior w/ regard to rudder inputs is extremely wonky, very similar to the MiG-21bis when it was in Beta actually, probably a DCS simulation system issue.

I find the NWS absolutely retarded sensitive even with curves set, though I've not tried a curve of 20. I have MFGs, very tiny deadzone (2), and often times on landings I find I am holding full right or left rudder depending on the wind (always very gentle wind...) to keep it from the dirt, takeoffs frequently get pretty cartoony in the same way. Once its airborne this is no issue of course.

There is something odd going on though, as when I load one of the instant action takeoff missions, where you start pointing down the runway, I don't have any issues. I've even tried the take off with NWS off and on.

As the issue only appears to happen when I've cold started, could it be something to do with not moving the flight controls around enough and "warming them up"?

Same here!

Even with a curve in the pedals the NWS is still to sensetive. You can increase the curve but:

As soon as you disable NWS and let your rudder take over, the input to rudder is far to small, cause of the curve. Most of the time I end up climbing just as I am about to hit the green.

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

For what is worth,

In the USAF version of the -1, it mentions that due to the Nose Landing Gear (NLG) design, the aircraft will tent to drift right with Nose Wheel Steering (NWS) off. This is exacerbated with forward stick force, heavy breaking or additional weight of the pod/pods but easily corrected or controlled by rudder.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

For what is worth,

In the USAF version of the -1, it mentions that due to the Nose Landing Gear (NLG) design, the aircraft will tent to drift right with Nose Wheel Steering (NWS) off. This is exacerbated with forward stick force, heavy breaking or additional weight of the pod/pods but easily corrected or controlled by rudder.

I tend to do the opposite and drift left...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4079176&postcount=97

I have tried all types of curves and deadzone settings and the rudder sensitivity/behavior is just too much to control.

I have yet to accomplish a straight takeoff roll, clean jet or asymmetrical loadout. Even during taxi and low speeds, I am just moving the rudder a fraction of an inch at a time.

The same rudder curve I use on other aircraft is far too sensitive with the F-16...the same physical rudder input in the F-16 gives a far greater response in game than other aircraft.

Something just seems way off with the rudder control in the F-16. I have never had issues with any other aircraft in DCS (A-10, F-14, F/A-18).

For those of you who don't have any issues, can you post a video of your rudder behavior? Make sure to have the control indicator on screen so we can see the input. Maybe the F-16 requires a different rudder technique. If so, I would like to see what you guys are doing to stay in control to keep in straight down the runway.

The Viper is really (too?) squirrelly on the runway. I’ve seen RL ops and I’ve never seen an F-16 wandering down the runway like a drunken sailor. Just feels like it’s on ice skates and not rubber tires.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I'm sure that the NWS / taxi / landing- and takeoff behaviour will change in the future.

As someone mentioned above, this is a quiet common bug in brand new DCS modules.

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

Neither does mine.

I am curious as to why some are having problems with rudder behavior and others are not. I would have attributed this to the diversity in setups, rudder pedals used, and virtual pilot skill, however; I only experience rudder and ground handling problems in the F-16. I use the same exact setup and controls with other aircraft and have no problem at all with using the rudder. I have been flying flight sims for 30+ years now and have never had issues before. This is what leads me to believe it's a bug of some sort with the DCS F-16 itself.

I'm sure that the NWS / taxi / landing- and takeoff behaviour will change in the future.

As someone mentioned above, this is a quiet common bug in brand new DCS modules.

I have flown the F-5, F/A-18, and F-14 right at early access release and the F-16 is the first aircraft that I have seen with rudder and ground handling issues. I have yet to takeoff or land in the F -16 without, as Emmy has perfectly described, "wandering down the runway like a drunken sailor."