Having trouble locking air targets

sirrah

I know this matter has been discussed here earlier, but I can't find the thread (probably because of an incorrect search term)

I'm quite new to air to air combat (mainly focused on A/G until now) and still at the lower end of the learning curve, so take it easy on me :P

Most of the time I'm having a really hard time locking up air targets. I can see them due to D/L image from allied aircraft, but nine out of ten I just can't detect them with my own radar. I watched several YT tutorials and re-checked chucks guide, but I never see anyone on YT having this issue.

I'm having this problem on almost every mission I try, but Operation Snowfox might be a good example of where I'm having troubles (nothing negative about this mission though. Surrexen did an awesome job and it's just my incompetence why I'm having troubles)

Here's what I do:

• Go to A/A mode (don't touch default radar settings on right DDI)
  • Activate D/L on UFC
  • Activate RWR
  • Activate SA page on lower MFD (forgot correct name)
  • Activate Friendly ID and RWR ID sensors on SA page

By default LTWS is activated on my right DDI and I see multiple enemy air targets. Most, if not all of them being detected by friendly aircraft

• I ask AWACS for bogey dope, and turn the nose of my aircraft directly towards it (at this point I already see the contact because of D/L)
  • Set radar range according AWACS instructions
  • Set antenna elevation to match AWACS instructions and make sure I'm at correct bar search (sorry, again not sure about the correct terminology :P)
  • Set scan width to 40 or 60 degrees so I'm sure it should detect the target.

Yet, at least 90% of the times, I still can't lock it.

Is this really due to the enemy jamming my radar? Is jamming so powerful? Is there a work around?

Or, which is probably the case, am I doing something wrong?

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

When you try to lock the target, I assume you hover over it with the TDC before pressing TDC depress, right? Just before you press, pay attention to if any information turns up just by hovering over the target (i.e altitude and such). If nothing pops up when hovering, the thing you see is not a radar contact (meaning you cannot lock it), but just a datalink contact. If you attempt TDC depress on a datalink target, it won't work (the radar will go into some sort of spotlight search, just like if you depress out in the nowhere).

You need to slew the antenna to match the targets altitude (you can read the altitude by hovering over the DL contact in the SA page).

I will say this though: Something is fishy with the radar. Many times my radar just won't pickup contacts (they only show up as DL contacts), even when it should. Sometimes, when I cycle weapons (select 9X then back to 120C), the contact suddenly shows up. I don't have a 100% repro rate on this, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but you can always try it and see if something happens. This trick also worked when we got the infamous "cannot break lock even if you turn the radar off"-bug... cycle weapon and voila.

• Like 1

AFAIK When arcrafts are banking, the radar sometimes has problems to lock them up because of doppler effect issues. There s a good vid on YT (sadly forgot the name), where the uploader explains very well how that works in order to defeat incoming missiles. I realy doubt this to happen at 9 out of 10 times when you try to lock air targets, but it's one of the reasons why this could happen...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Having trouble locking air targets

I used to get this problem even with the right azimuth and antenna elevation range. Then I switched PRF to High and the donated targets started getting picked up by my ownship's radar more easily and quickly.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Sorry, completely forgot to mention the TDC slewing part.

Indeed I slew cursor on target and hold it there before I try to depress TDC. 9 out of 10 times it appears to be a DL target and I can't lock. No matter how exact I point my radar at it (search angle and altitude), it just won't appear on my radar.

Did a DCS cleanup and repair several times in the past months, without improvement

Edit:

I used to get this problem even with the right azimuth and antenna elevation range. Then I switched PRF to High and the donated targets started getting picked up by my ownship's radar more easily and quickly.

Ahh ok. I don't know yet what PRF means, but I'll look into that

Edit2:

I wish I could upload a track file, but by the time I get to this situation, track files are usually to big to upload here

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Are you saying that you can't lock them up in BVR mode ? or Bore sight ? Are you sure you are using the correct missile ? at the correct ranges. Like the side winder is a short range missile the aim 7 sparrow is a with in 10 mile missile and the amraam are up to 30 miles with radar. If your not at the right ranges with the right weapon you will not get the shoot ques or lock ons. Also sometimes when I TDC depress the radar will zero in on it I then have to it the ENTER key to actually lock it up( I have it mapped to my joystick) some times I do sometimes I don't I havn't figured out why that is yet.

Are you saying that you can't lock them up in BVR mode ? or Bore sight ? Are you sure you are using the correct missile ? at the correct ranges. Like the side winder is a short range missile the aim 7 sparrow is a with in 10 mile missile and the amraam are up to 30 miles with radar. If your not at the right ranges with the right weapon you will not get the shoot ques or lock ons. Also sometimes when I TDC depress the radar will zero in on it I then have to it the ENTER key to actually lock it up( I have it mapped to my joystick) some times I do sometimes I don't I havn't figured out why that is yet.

Again something I forgot to mention in my OP. I was talking long range (>40nm).

Concerning the last part of your message. I could be mistaking, but I think you're talking about STT lock (which requires second TDC depress).

Anyway, I'll try out this PRF thing this evening, if social life lets me :D

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Did some testing yesterday with PRF HI with good results :thumbup:

Could just be coincidence though. Need to do some more testing

System specs:

• 9 months later...

Indeed I slew cursor on target and hold it there before I try to depress TDC. 9 out of 10 times it appears to be a DL target and I can't lock. No matter how exact I point my radar at it (search angle and altitude), it just won't appear on my radar.

I have EXACTLY this problem, for months (even years) now in the F18. No matter if stable or open beta.

Just right now I have flown towards a pair of bandits with a AI-Wingman right beside me, who obviously had them as radar contacts all the time due to my D/L-symbols appearing on the SA and radar-display, and I had NOTHING on my radar, no own lockable radar contacts allthough they were right in front of me within range of 20 miles. No notching, no ECM-Jamming. I switched through every range, every azimuth, lifted antenna up and down - nothing.

It makes me completely mad, because I seem to be the only one with this problem at the moment?? Over and over again makes the Hornet completely useless for me. No explanation in videos or manuals actually helped.

It would be so GREAT if someone could FINALLY shed some light on what the F*** I´m missing here.

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

I have EXACTLY this problem, for months (even years) now in the F18. No matter if stable or open beta.

Just right now I have flown towards a pair of bandits with a AI-Wingman right beside me, who obviously had them as radar contacts all the time due to my D/L-symbols appearing on the SA and radar-display, and I had NOTHING on my radar, no own lockable radar contacts allthough they were right in front of me within range of 20 miles. No notching, no ECM-Jamming. I switched through every range, every azimuth, lifted antenna up and down - nothing.

It makes me completely mad, because I seem to be the only one with this problem at the moment?? Over and over again makes the Hornet completely useless for me. No explanation in videos or manuals actually helped.

It would be so GREAT if someone could FINALLY shed some light on what the F*** I´m missing here.

No offense, but are you sure you're not missing some basic step, like turning the radar on? Just the other day I posted about an issue with HARMs, that apparently came down to making sure I Sensor Selected the correct MFD. Perhaps if you posted the track file so we could see exactly what was going on? To reduce variables, try setting up a simple mission with some bandits directly ahead at various ranges.:joystick:

No offense, but are you sure you're not missing some basic step, like turning the radar on? Just the other day I posted about an issue with HARMs, that apparently came down to making sure I Sensor Selected the correct MFD. Perhaps if you posted the track file so we could see exactly what was going on? To reduce variables, try setting up a simple mission with some bandits directly ahead at various ranges.:joystick:

Yes, if the radar wasn´t turned on, I wouldn´t have any contacts at all, the thing is that I constantly loose BVR-locks all the time, or some bandits don´t even show up on the display (as "bricks") allthough I´m in range while others do appear.

Just now I build a little CAP mission on the caucasus map, with two MiG31 and two Mig29´s heading in my direction to "intercept" my flight (two-ship). The Mig31´s appear on my radar display, I can lock them via TDC depress, but when the Mig29´s are in range, they just never show up on my radar display as lockable until I´m visual. Is this because of "jamming" or something?? But I always thought I had to equip the enemies with a jamming device extra if I want this kind of "challenge"

This really looks like a massive bug to me, but why am I the only one with this problem?

First, what PRF are you in? Secondly, are you adjusting the scan elevation correctly? You should put the TDC just in front of the contact, then adjust the elevation accordingly. A video/track, or even the exact mission you used would help

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Ok, so here is the trackfile. I really hope it helps, because I play in VR, maybe it´s not good visible what the problem is.

It´s a self build little mission with me F18 two ship against two Mig31 and Mig29 two ships.

In this replay again I managed to track and lock the MiG31´s, but when I got to the MiG29´s, they just don´t show up on radar display although they seem to radar lock me without any problem and shoot me down.

noradarcontacts.trk

Ok, the new stable update seems to have fixed it. It was a clear difference now with the same mission. Got rocksolid target tracks and BVR-locks most of the time.

GOD, I hope this finally solved one of the most annoying issues here with DCS for me...

The track shows you getting shot down by the MiG-31s.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The track shows you getting shot down by the MiG-31s.

Ok :music_whistling: , have not looked for details in the briefing, just wanted to see where I get radar contacts, for some reason it was always the Fulcrums that didn't show up on the display.

Could you spot some extreme misuse or mistake in operating the radar, which could cause tracks or blips to never appear allthough enemies right in front of me? I mean after the stable update everything worked as it should (at least it seemed so)

Ok, the new stable update seems to have fixed it. It was a clear difference now with the same mission. Got rocksolid target tracks and BVR-locks most of the time.

GOD, I hope this finally solved one of the most annoying issues here with DCS for me...

Make sure every time you bring up the A2A radar that the elevation carrot on the left side of the DDI is not stuck at the top or bottom. This has been happening to me consistently and i have to point the elevation of the radar down to the middle since it wont self center.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, BMGZ06 said:

Make sure every time you bring up the A2A radar that the elevation carrot on the left side of the DDI is not stuck at the top or bottom. This has been happening to me consistently and i have to point the elevation of the radar down to the middle since it wont self center.

Was this ever fixed ?