[REPORTED]Laser Burnout on Tpod

104th_Maverick

Investigating to see if anyone else has had this before I try and submit any tracks.

If you use the Laser for a long time it becomes unusable. While conducting FAC-A duties flying online I am only able to use the laser for no longer than 1.5 hours. After this time when the trigger is pressed the laser fires for 1 second then goes safe.

If trigger is pressed and held to latch laser it fires again for 1 second but then returns to safe and cannot be engaged again.

The only way to fix the issue is to remove the Tpod and load another one, which is a kick in the teeth to endurance FAC-A missions.

I've had this happen to me even when being very strict with the time I have the laser on for but it still seems to happen after the first hour of use (not combined laser on time) despite only having the laser on for 10-20 second periods.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Maverick,

This has happen to me as well.

Same as you, laser on only after supporting aircraft dropped ordnance, then laser off once impact. Pod still failed

F/A-18 FAC-A

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

• ED Team

Hi Mav,

I think it is possible to burn the laser out but I will have to check, when I know I will pass it on.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks Big Newy !!!

Anxiously awaiting your information

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I’d imagine laser burn out might happen if it’s left on continuously for too long, but short bursts over a long period should allow enough cool down time in between for it to function without problems.

Also yes I’ve seen this issue, it’s also been around for years with the A-10C as well.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

Ok here is what I have found out.

Laser overheat is modelled, same for viper / hornet and warthog.

It will heat up and cool with use and can burn out.

I don't have times, temps or any values sorry.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can you please check further with the team.

This information is important to plan for the FAC-A and training missions.

It's been more than once that our training had to be abruptly cancelled due to laser burnout.

Thank you very much.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Thanks for looking in to it BIGNEWY, I don't mean to be difficult but I have it from a SME (retired USMC JTAC) that there is no way the lasers should be burning out on these pods provided they are not left on constantly for 1+ hours or something like that.

If practical, could you please press the team further for data on times and temps etc if this is something that is going to remain modelled in the pod, as Andrei pointed out, it really cripples the FAC-A mission especially when you've fragged for a 3-4 hour sortie and the pod dies after the 1st hour.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

So far been unable to replicate this, but 100% ran into the same. I am very conscious about this and always turn laser off - but still sometimes get this, especially after landing. My working theorie right now is that under some condition the laser burn out time keeps running even after laser/systems off. Edit: and yes this is not hornet the specific, I am after this for years in the A10c

;4074824']Thanks for looking in to it BIGNEWY, I don't mean to be difficult but I have it from a SME (retired USMC JTAC) that there is no way the lasers should be burning out on these pods provided they are not left on constantly for 1+ hours or something like that.

If practical, could you please press the team further for data on times and temps etc if this is something that is going to remain modelled in the pod, as Andrei pointed out, it really cripples the FAC-A mission especially when you've fragged for a 3-4 hour sortie and the pod dies after the 1st hour.

Yes exactly. It would be extremely good to know what the laser on vs laser off cooldown time requirements are for being able to operate continuously.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

I will try to find out more,

team is very busy so give me some time, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this again in latest beta version in MP on 104th server, since this keeps happening to me, I watch my TGP like a hawk. I 100% turned off laser, turned off TGP, landed, refueled/rearmed -> took off and lazer does not work.

Other people seemed to have the same problem. I was buddy lazing before and had a complete laze time of maybe 7-10 mins. (I always turned it off when I could, trying very hard to not have long times of constant lazing)

I want to also note this is a big problem than it initially sounds, for example I was buddylazing for a teammate whose lazer was burned out after take off too. Flying for 40mins with only laser guided munition, only to realize you can't guide them and to then see your only teammate with TGP kill himself is a terrible experience. =(

Edited by ApoNOOB

• 2 months later...

Just had the exact problem, me and my wingman were lasing for another flight but after some times at any press of the trigger the laser fired for almost one second and stopped. I tried even shutting off the pod, ri-aligning, change code... anything but no way to make it work again.

After some more time my wingman had the same problem. :(:(:(

• 3 months later...

Happened to me today when I was the lasing guy on an MP mission.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I will try to find out more,

team is very busy so give me some time, thanks

Any update on this after 7 months?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

• 2 weeks later...
I’d imagine laser burn out might happen if it’s left on continuously for too long, but short bursts over a long period should allow enough cool down time in between for it to function without problems.

Also yes I’ve seen this issue, it’s also been around for years with the A-10C as well.

Reminds me of the "30 shots till I die" laser of the Ka-50 and the usual death clocks which might even not reset during some kind of "cooling phase" in overheating engines in several sims, DCS included (hear ye, hear ye RAZBAM...) pinkiepieexcited.png

My 2¢: Trying to save a few CPU cycles on the overheat DM at the cost of realism isn't just worth it. People do sorties with R&R in the same airframe a lot and not everybody gets shot down a lot.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It’s happening in the harrier too since I entered in the DCS world 2 year ago.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

• 5 months later...
  • ED Team

If you have track replays with burnout please add them.

thank you

• ED Team

It is based on temperature, so if there is sufficient cool down between use it should be ok.

TGP for A-10C burns out after close to 20 mins of lasing - cumulatirve, not continuous.

AFAIK there is an ancient bug which rarely causes the laser to stop working after the burnout period, as if the laser was on the entire time even if it was used for only a minute total in that time (as if the game didnt register the event of turning the laser off).

i remember i saw bug reports on this years ago.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

If you have track replays with burnout please add them.

Link to a 53 minute, 7 MB Hornet track

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oznzlkdqz...55960.trk?dl=0

Notes:

• I had difficulty getting a good lock with the LMav at first (likely because I forgot to TDC depress/release after TGP point track), so lased a couple of times before firing my first LMav @ ~9 minutes into the mission.

• I then lased for 2 min, rested for 3 min.

• Total cumulative lase was 16:55 after firing the first LMav before the laser failed (timed with a stop watch).

• IIRC I lased 2x before, 1x for the LMav launch (1:40), 7x after (2 min) and the 8th failed half way through (after ~1 min).

• The laser failed at ~08:52 mission time (I lased at 1x but used 3x/4x for resting/cooling).

PhAvZ4h.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

It is based on temperature, so if there is sufficient cool down between use it should be ok.

That hasn't been my experience

• In a previous test the laser failed @ ~22 minutes using a continuous manual (trigger boxed) lase at x3 speed - from my perspective, damage is cumulative and cooling has little to no effect.

• This FA-18C test is somewhat artificial but consistent with my experience of laser failure in longer missions (+1h30m) that used rearming and the Ka-50/AV-8B i.e. laser failures after approx. 20 min cumulative use.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080