Axis Assignments- can’t configure

I currently have a TM Warthog with Saitek Pro Rudder. I have zero issues in normal DCS, but when I run Beta and try to configure the F-16, it’s totally out of control. For example. I set thrust to joy_z on throttle hotas. When I slide up and down it registers on the screen. Then for rudder I set joy_rz on rudder and it too responds appropriately on option page. Then I enter aircraft and as I slide throttle forward, the throttle becomes the rudder. 0-50% rudder left, 50-100% thrust it goes right.

Then it gets more strange. I set wheel brakes, and when I engage the wheel brakes, the joystick moves. Like it can’t separate the separate axis.

Please advise. I erased copy and redownloaded. I cleared all axis controls and reset each individually and problem replicated.

I then reopened DCS non-beta and f14/18 flew without issue

Thanks

Have you cleared the rudder category?Rudder has weird defaults,it assigns same axis (toe brakes x,y,z to joystick as i recall,and does same to the throttle).

It looks to me like that may be an issue.If that is not the case try unplugging the rudder and see if the joystick and throttle can be configured .Dont worry somebody will be soon here to help you.

I figured out the issue, in the settings for the aircraft, there is another category for F-16_easy. For whatever reason the mapping on this setup trumped the map for the standard aircraft.

Thanks!

Good to know:thumbup:

Happy flying:pilotfly:

I’m having even more issues now. None of the keyboard commands seem to work when assigned. The flight control axis only respond to the f-16_easy and not to the actual F-16. For ex, can’t close canopy with mapped key. Then as a test for refuel/rearm assignment, that doesn’t respond. When I clear all Axis controls from the -easy config, it becomes totally unresponsive. This is quite strange to say the least. Any tips are appreciated

What did you do:smilewink:

Try this:

C:\Users\Your user name\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\F-16C_50

There delete all in joystick and keyboard folders(back them up of course).Than i would suggest that you run repair.

If you don't know how to repair here is the link:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Hang in there i know how this can be frustrating

Make sure you have none of the "easy" mode stuff enabled in game options first.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Make sure you have non of the "easy" mode stuff enabled in game options first.

Yes!!!I have forgot to mention that.TRY THAT FIRST.

But you will not screw anything up if you do not read Deano87s message in time.Just more hoops to jump trough.

Edit:I have literally forgotten that there are easy mode configurations in options.

I do suspect that Deano is right.

Edited by Void78
Addendum

I deleted and reinstalled open beta. tried all the above options except the repair which I will doing next but now somehow my normal dcs function is effected, rendering everything basically useless. The _easy mode for both f18 and f16 have ruined functionality of my normal DCS now. I am at a complete loss.

It really sounds like you have some easy mode options turned on... they cause chaos.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I deleted and reinstalled open beta. tried all the above options except the repair which I will doing next but now somehow my normal dcs function is effected, rendering everything basically useless. The _easy mode for both f18 and f16 have ruined functionality of my normal DCS now. I am at a complete loss.

Repair should fix any problems.After repair,when you start the game,dont forget to disable(uncheck) game flight mode

(that is the first option in gameplay tab),and to clear rudder category.

Edited by Void78

All check boxes under gameplay are unchecked. Ran repair, the same issue is persistent. Oddly, the f14 works without issue. There are two profiles for the f18 and f16 for options. Can I delete the easy option to see if that is what’s causing the issue?

I presume you mean the input folders found in your Saved Games folder?

Proud owner of:

All check boxes under gameplay are unchecked. Ran repair, the same issue is persistent. Oddly, the f14 works without issue. There are two profiles for the f18 and f16 for options. Can I delete the easy option to see if that is what’s causing the issue?

F 16 does not have easy option ,in path C:\Users\Your username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input..(weird).

Why don't you try to delete all category's in F 16 game(NOT F 16 SIM),since you will not be using them.It sounds to me what you have is some controller conflict.

Edited by Void78

I presume you mean the input folders found in your Saved Games folder?

Yes, Sorry for not clarifying. So here is the present situation;

Under gameplay in the options menu, everything is unchecked.

The F-16 control inputs will only work if I assign them in the _easy preset. If I assign anything under the f-16 preset in the controls window it is completely unresponsive. To test this, I tried a few various easy keyboard assignments, which none of them worked. The same goes if I assign any axis movement in the f-16 preset with the _easy preset totally empty. No response. Where it gets really frustrating is that the f18 was effected by this. I have no idea how or why this happened but now I am having exactly the same issue with the f-18 in both open beta and normal dcs. Control axis assignments only work in the _game for f-18 and _easy for F16, and this is true as well for the f18 in normal dcs. I am about to throw in the towel and do a total wipe and reinstall. I'm fine with bugs in openbeta, I get that there will still be bugs, but what I don't understand is how my normal DCS got messed up. Up until this point with the 18/14 I hadn't had any major issues and now the 18 is unusable.

Very frustrating, if there are any other tips let me know, I am going to take a break before I wipe everything

Thanks again for all the advice

Z

Yes, Sorry for not clarifying. So here is the present situation;

Under gameplay in the options menu, everything is unchecked.

The F-16 control inputs will only work if I assign them in the _easy preset. If I assign anything under the f-16 preset in the controls window it is completely unresponsive. To test this, I tried a few various easy keyboard assignments, which none of them worked. The same goes if I assign any axis movement in the f-16 preset with the _easy preset totally empty. No response. Where it gets really frustrating is that the f18 was effected by this. I have no idea how or why this happened but now I am having exactly the same issue with the f-18 in both open beta and normal dcs. Control axis assignments only work in the _game for f-18 and _easy for F16, and this is true as well for the f18 in normal dcs. I am about to throw in the towel and do a total wipe and reinstall. I'm fine with bugs in openbeta, I get that there will still be bugs, but what I don't understand is how my normal DCS got messed up. Up until this point with the 18/14 I hadn't had any major issues and now the 18 is unusable.

Very frustrating, if there are any other tips let me know, I am going to take a break before I wipe everything

Thanks again for all the advice

Z

Are you sure you wont more tips from me?!!

Everything that i have suggested should in no way lead to problems that you have now.I am at a loss.Have you made backup folder of DCS folder which is located in your save games??

Path is C:\Users\Your username\Saved Games\DCS

Edited by Void78

Try renaming your saved games DCS folder and let the sim remake it on the next launch. See if bindings now work you can copy across stuff from your old folder.

Proud owner of:

Try renaming your saved games DCS folder and let the sim remake it on the next launch. See if bindings now work you can copy across stuff from your old folder.

"Funny" thing about all of this is that issue is most likely something silly that can be changed in one mouse click.

On a similar note weird thing happened to me on a last update of the release version.

When update was finished,game,as per normal,asked me to log in.Since i was

downloading some work related files(wanted to save some bandwidth),i have opted for an offline mode.Than game has informed me that all my modules will be unavailable.Basically i had stock DCS..all was gone.

Than,i have restarted the game,log in this time,had all the modules back,but all was at default,all configs ..gone.To cut a long(longer)story short;in Dcs save game main folder two folders are essential.Config,and mission editor folder.If you restore config folder only,nothing will change.

@Sfzobie

Moral of the story is,

Always Back up your DCS Save game folder,and after update session always log in

Edited by Void78

From the main page, select the settings (cog) and the Misc tab. Clear the Game Avionics checkbox and you should be good.

I've just tried checking it and loading the aircraft and although the adjust settings dialogue appears to suggest that it is the F16_sim profile that is active, it is apparently using another one, presumably the easy profile.

Clearing the checkbox made it all good again, so you should be OK

doing another repair and clearing that checkbox might still sort him out.

it's odd as the game setting on the gameplay screen does cause the in-module adjust settings tab to select the game/easy profile and change the drop down profile select field accordingly, but for some reason, the same is apparently not true for the game avionics setting.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I backed everything up, uninstalled and reinstalled both main and open beta. Happy to report that the f18 back to normal in the main version. I did download the f16 but I did not download the f18 for beta. By the time everything had loaded it was pretty late but a quick check did confirm the same problems existed with the f16, so I will start the troubleshoot again when I get home.

Thanks again

Thank you all for the suggestions. I backed everything up, uninstalled and reinstalled both main and open beta. Happy to report that the f18 back to normal in the main version. I did download the f16 but I did not download the f18 for beta. By the time everything had loaded it was pretty late but a quick check did confirm the same problems existed with the f16, so I will start the troubleshoot again when I get home.

Thanks again

At least some piece of good news.Do not forget to clear game flight mode checkbox in the gameplay tab,and the game avionics checkbox in the misc tab.

Tabs are located in options(click the gear head in the upper left corner of the games main screen).

Edited by Void78

From the main page, select the settings (cog) and the Misc tab. Clear the Game Avionics checkbox and you should be good.

I've just tried checking it and loading the aircraft and although the adjust settings dialogue appears to suggest that it is the F16_sim profile that is active, it is apparently using another one, presumably the easy profile.

Clearing the checkbox made it all good again, so you should be OK

You are the winner. This was it. Everything working normally. What an adventure.

Thanks again to everyone for the help