Oculus CV6, day one - hand/finger tracking via inside-out cameras

Fri13

It was day one yesterday when Oculus demoed the finger tracking in Oculus Quest....

In video 01:10:00

Early next year Oculus release SDK and beta. And I really hope that ED is first ones to implement that technology to Rift S users, as that can't be left only for Quest. Today is the day 2 that is for Rift S, so we get to know when and how (if even) it comes to Rift S.

Now think about it, no controllers, no gloves, no devices etc and your hands gets tracked in DCS and you can flip, push and operate cockpits.... Naturally.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well. Still waiting for decent haptic feedback. Hand tracking alone is only one step on the way

Sendt fra min SM-G975F med Tapatalk

You will never get haptic feedback by moving fingers in air. For that you need gloves to do something.

But to see a good virtual hand (not the gloves!) in DCS and operating the switches etc, would be great experience. If even just having your index finger tip as your mouse cursor and your middle finger and thumb then as a mouse click.

And no, this is not about virtual HOTAS, that is the point, you have your HOTAS and then you operate everything else than your HOTAS with your hands without controllers or gloves.

Be aware that as of yet the optical hand tracking hasn't officially been announced for the RiftS.

Oculus have mentioned that they make decisions about what is being worked on from comments made on their user voice feedback.

So PLEASE vote this request up: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38690920-optical-handtracking-for-rift-s

Comments made by Oculus suggest that the differences in camera hardware between the RiftS and Quest are enough that means while the lessons learnt are transferable the systems that were developed aren't - so if we want this we need to make sure we're heard asking for it.

You will never get haptic feedback by moving fingers in air. For that you need gloves to do something.

But to see a good virtual hand (not the gloves!) in DCS and operating the switches etc, would be great experience. If even just having your index finger tip as your mouse cursor and your middle finger and thumb then as a mouse click.

And no, this is not about virtual HOTAS, that is the point, you have your HOTAS and then you operate everything else than your HOTAS with your hands without controllers or gloves.

Well that is what I meant. I do not care about hand tracking but haptic feedback. Gloves or whatever.

Sendt fra min SM-G975F med Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

Be aware that as of yet the optical hand tracking hasn't officially been announced for the RiftS.

Oculus have mentioned that they make decisions about what is being worked on from comments made on their user voice feedback.

So PLEASE vote this request up: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38690920-optical-handtracking-for-rift-s

Comments made by Oculus suggest that the differences in camera hardware between the RiftS and Quest are enough that means while the lessons learnt are transferable the systems that were developed aren't - so if we want this we need to make sure we're heard asking for it.

Just a gut feeling on my part and nothing else, I am getting impression that Oculus focus going forward is going to on Quest like device that can do everything. I have doubts we will see another Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just a gut feeling on my part and nothing else, I am getting impression that Oculus focus going forward is going to on Quest like device that can do everything. I have doubts we will see another Rift.

(Sigh) Yeah , not looking so good for a reverb-res Rift .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

To be fair, they did demo the half dome 3 prototype which may or may not be a consumer-oriented device. They're also still at the forefront when it comes to software development, and are the only one that could afford to pay big name developers to develop exclusive-to-Oculus AAA games--nobody else has done that not Valve not Microsoft.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yes, it is currently just for the Oculus Quest. And today on Day 2 the Carmac told that the Oculus Quest is their primary VR system because its possibilities. You can now have it tethered to PC to get maximum performance, or has it standalone with mobile processor for easy to access and use everywhere. At least that is what I got it to be.

He was as well very specific that the Rift S is still their heavy use platform, but the Quest is their enterprise platform.

And considering that you can now just attach that one USB 3 optical cable to Quest to get it run the application on PC, it is huge deal really.

All what we really need is that we can get a mouse cursor to index finger tip. So we can just move it around in L shape with thumb, and use thumb as left click actuation.