Viper academic videos

JamesRothwell

Would you be able to briefly touch on the pluses and minuses for both DCS and headsets?

I don't want to hijack the thread.

I've never considered VR until now. I always thought I would get two more monitors with my TrackIR but it's probably the same price around $800 bucks.

If there is another recent forum with up to date info please let me know and I can check that out.

Thanks!

:pilotfly:

There's a VR specific forum in the input & output area of these forums: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

DCS isn't the most optimized, clean VR experience out there... it takes a bit of tweaking of your settings to get a good experience, but once you are there, it is incredible. If you haven't tried it... it's hard to describe, other than it's the closest most of us will get to flying the real thing. You are there. In the cockpit. Not looking at a screen of somebody in the cockpit. Everything has depth, and distances are far more apparent. A lot of people improve immediately in landings, air-to-air refueling, formation flying, and close-in dogfighting when switching to VR. It's all natural and intuitive.

I'd recommend a pretty decent system for VR... for modern headsets, a 1080Ti is pretty much the starting position. I wouldn't quite recommend the older previous-gen headsets (Oculus Rift CV-1 and original Vive), because their resolution and display quality make it difficult to read the smaller instruments or identify objects at a reasonable distance. They are GREAT for having a cool experience flying through canyons or practicing touch & goes, though.

The "best" headsets right now, in 2019, are pretty much a year old or less. They have different requirements, and people can argue (in the correct forums) over the details, but in general terms:

HP Reverb: Best resolution / clarity. Best for seeing details.

Pimax 5K+: Best field-of-view. Great for seeing what's all around you (or behind you).

Valve Index: Best overall. Kinda second-best in everything, but really a nice out-of-the-box experience.

Oculus Rift-S (the new model): Best bang for the buck! Probably the lowest requirements on your hardware overall, not the best at anything, but it's a very inexpensive entry into VR right now... probably 80% of the awesomeness at half (or less) of the price.

There's your primer. There are plenty of arguments and caveats, and several other headsets out now or forthcoming that might be worthy of consideration, all of which can and should be discussed elsewhere. But that can get you started. :)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a VR specific forum in the input & output area of these forums: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

The "best" headsets right now, in 2019, are pretty much a year old or less. They have different requirements, and people can argue (in the correct forums) over the details, but in general terms:

Pimax 5K+: Best field-of-view. Great for seeing what's all around you (or behind you).

Valve Index: Best overall. Kinda second-best in everything, but really a nice out-of-the-box experience.

Oculus Rift-S (the new model): Best bang for the buck! Probably the lowest requirements on your hardware overall, not the best at anything, but it's a very inexpensive entry into VR right now... probably 80% of the awesomeness at half (or less) of the price.

There's your primer. There are plenty of arguments and caveats, and several other headsets out now or forthcoming that might be worthy of consideration, all of which can and should be discussed elsewhere. But that can get you started. :)

Thank you very much for this great summary!

Thank You, I appreciate the brief but very thorough response! I will check out the forum and ask any further questions there.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I would also add in that the HTC Cosmos headset is releasing October 3rd and looks very promising.

It's not the cheapest at $699 or £699 in the UK but judging by the specs it merits consideration.

I'm still torn between a small upgrade from my CV1 to Rift S or to go all in with the Cosmos at nearly double the cost.

Decisions, decisions...

Yup, head on over to the VR subforum.

I'll add some downsides from what I've read on forums ( I own a reverb, but not the others) Folks might correct me on some points.

Downsides:

HP Reverb: Some early issues with cables/QC, Center clarity is great, but edge clarity gets bad fast. This may be more noticeable since center clarity is so good. Crappy WMR hand controllers for non-sim games.

Pimax 5K+: FOV comes at the expense of clarity, and big performance hits, immature software enviroment.

Valve Index: Some issues with artifacting noted (maybe fixed now?), also due to the lens systems design worse god-rays than other headsets, but generally a better edge to edge image than other headsets. Also the most expensive headset.

Oculus Rift-S: Probably the lowest res of the headsets mentioned. But otherwise seems solid and problem free. Price wise, a Reverb is only a bit more and much better clarity if you have the system to run it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm still torn between a small upgrade from my CV1 to Rift S or to go all in with the Cosmos at nearly double the cost.

Decisions, decisions...

DO NOT downgrade to S from CV1. Especially for DCS. Keep your money. When your CV1 is broken, you could consider the Rift S or other.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

DO NOT downgrade to S from CV1. Especially for DCS. Keep your money. When your CV1 is broken, you could consider the Rift S or other.

Sorry to hear you’re obviously unhappy with your S, but the fact is that the vast majority of people who went ahead and upgraded are happy they did.

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Sorry to hear you’re obviously unhappy with your S, but the fact is that the vast majority of people who went ahead and upgraded are happy they did.

+1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me the rift S is a massive improvement over the CV1.

Visually is clearly better, the sweetspot is huge and conmodity is better, the downside is the shitty audio but that is not a game breaker for me, in fact i usually connect my AKG headphones on top and everything is fine.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I’ll echo the last few post, I went from cv1 to S and it was a huge difference. I was first concerned with the band design, but it actually helped taking the pressure off my face (as I wear glasses).

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Let me explain - Rift S:

Cons:

- Hand controller excessive battery drain - I think they drain even without any VR app running.

- Fully charged NiMH batteries report low battery and PREVENT from using the headset even if I don't want to use hand controllers - bug in firmware?

- Narrow sweet spot

- Periodic static "click" in speakers

- Without earphones, one can hear surrounding sounds

- Inside-Out hand tracking is better for full room (the reason I "upgraded"), but is shakier than CV1 and loses tracking of hand close the headset, like when shooting a virtual rifle (the other reason I "upgraded").

- Noticeable fresnel lens artifacts in peripheral field of view. Looking sideways the brain has a hard time combining both (different) images into a single coherent 3D picture.

- Framerate lowered from 90 to 80 which is irrelevant (unattainable) for most users in VR. But from 45 to 40 in half-FPS mode I find is noticeable.

Pros:

- Better image clarity in the sweet spot

- A bit less screendoor effect

- Much less God rays

- No cumbersome external sensors required

- Requires 1 to 3 less USB 2.0 ports.

I'm not saying the Rift S is bad, but I don't feel I much improved from CV1 for the amount of money paid. I will admit I have used almost exclusively the S since getting it, I guess because of novelty and I want to give it a fair shake given I've been using CV1 from countless hours.

Edited by Jack McCoy

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

I’ll echo the last few post, I went from cv1 to S and it was a huge difference. I was first concerned with the band design, but it actually helped taking the pressure off my face (as I wear glasses).

Happy to hear that! I wear glasses but I do not need them with my Rift S. I am so fortunate with that. I agree with you about the positive difference from the CV1 to the Rift S. They are all actually pretty good to include the CV1. I think that when someone spends $400 or more they are naturally going to justify the purchase. That is why so many reviews are a tad bit biased.

With that, I really like the Rift S and I notice more of an improvement

than many I have chatted with.

Have you thought about the lens inserts that are available?

Have you thought about the lens inserts that are available?

Yes, just one problem. I hate the eye exam process and my current written prescription is expired, although my prescription still feels appropriate. So if I get the courage to be tortured for a few hours to get the written updated, I’ll purchase the inserts.

Sorry for continuing the off topic.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Recent mini update for the Viper indicates ramp start systems could be on board fully so a ramp start video would be great.

The Viper ramp start is comparatively less complex just like the Hornet startup process.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The Viper ramp start is comparatively less complex just like the Hornet startup process.

I kinda... disagree? There's steps that, if you miss them, mean a hot start (advancing over the idle detent too early, for instance) or a hung start (inducing a momentary power drain before the engine RPMs hit 20%, by closing the canopy or turning on the radio if you forgot it, etc.). There's also the myriad ways you can screw up starting and setting up your avionics, from missing the DTE load (where are all my steerpoints and radio presets?!) to failing to turn on the RWR or CMD.

Just saying, these are all things I've done.. elsewhere.

Evan "Preacher" Weeks - Dad. Programmer. Virtual Fighter Pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Recent mini update for the Viper indicates ramp start systems could be on board fully so a ramp start video would be great.

Wanna make a bet? :)

I kinda... disagree? There's steps that, if you miss them, mean a hot start (advancing over the idle detent too early, for instance) or a hung start (inducing a momentary power drain before the engine RPMs hit 20%, by closing the canopy or turning on the radio if you forgot it, etc.). There's also the myriad ways you can screw up starting and setting up your avionics, from missing the DTE load (where are all my steerpoints and radio presets?!) to failing to turn on the RWR or CMD.

Just saying, these are all things I've done.. elsewhere.

I would say more difficult than the Hornet if all these steps are simulated strictly by dcs.

The Viper cockpit has this simplicity of design. Not so much buttons, switches and test to work through. The Hornet is same.

I for one find ramp start for the dcs modules like the AV8B, KA-50 a bit too involving.

Perhaps my judgment is coming from having done it a couple of times in another sim.

I am very interested to see how much dcs brings to this beloved bird.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Wanna make a bet? :)
Not at this time Wags because you are the master. You know how deep she(Viper) is already but I am eager to know what more is in the mix.

Cheers.

Edited by Eaglewings