Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

@Todd1215 What about steam account, do i need it for fly dcs on vive? Can i use standlone dcs or need steam version?

In order to use HTC Vive you do need Steam and SteamVR but you don’t need Steam DCS version. You can run DCS standalone with SteamVR without issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

In order to use HTC Vive you do need Steam and SteamVR but you don’t need Steam DCS version. You can run DCS standalone with SteamVR without issue.

Thanks a lot man, you are my savior.

Asus TUF RTX 3080 10g GAMING; Intel i9 10900K; Asus B460 TUF GAMING PLUS;

2x32GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Predator RGB; SSD 1TB Samsung EVO Plus

106_47.jpg

so the vive pro is NOT windows mixed reality you only need steam vr to run it?

so the vive pro is NOT windows mixed reality you only need steam vr to run it?

Correct.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys i get my vive but i have two little problems and i know that you will help me to solve it.

First it is that i have so blurry edges when i flying low and fast ind DCS i have tried to get settings ti minimum but it doesnt helps. I turned off motion smoothing, also without any improvement. HELP!!!

Second problem is not so big, sometimes in game i see (for one second) grey floor and my tracking bases, i dont know how to deal with it.

106_47.jpg

When a game drops below a set number of FPS steamVR will drop you out to the gray room to avoid nausia. That means that you FPS is not great...

Try the VR performance mod See if that helps.

What is your PD and supersample values on SteamVR?

When a game drops below a set number of FPS steamVR will drop you out to the gray room to avoid nausia. That means that you FPS is not great...

Try the VR performance mod See if that helps.

What is your PD and supersample values on SteamVR?

PD is 1,4 ingame abd idk if mod still working on new version of dcs open beta?

106_47.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone using latest version of SteamVR motion smoothing? I tried it again. It's definitely improved but still some shimmering, especially in a helicopter with fast moving rotor shadows. Might be usable in a jet.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

• 5 weeks later...
Has anyone here completed the lense swap to use the gear VR lenses in the VIve/VIve Pro? I'm curious to know if the barrel distortion correction that needs to be applied for Steam VR will apply to DCS as well.

Recently bought the pro and it's fantastic, but by all the reports, it seems the freznil lenses are holding it back.

Cheers Harp0

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I just swapped out my lenses today. Picked up a GearVR for about $30USD on amazon.

I gotta say... I'm AMAZED at the difference in clarity! The only thing affected negatively was the center of view was slightly out of scale. (I think that's called "Barrel effect". But after making the config changes, it became imperceptible.

Now, for the first time I can see the gauges without moving my head. I can read the panels without zooming in. This is a fantastic mod that really improves the immersion.

My only question is: What the heck was HTC thinking when they decided to go with fresnel lenses???

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

I just swapped out my lenses today. Picked up a GearVR for about $30USD on amazon.

I gotta say... I'm AMAZED at the difference in clarity! The only thing affected negatively was the center of view was slightly out of scale. (I think that's called "Barrel effect". But after making the config changes, it became imperceptible.

Now, for the first time I can see the gauges without moving my head. I can read the panels without zooming in. This is a fantastic mod that really improves the immersion.

My only question is: What the heck was HTC thinking when they decided to go with fresnel lenses???

How did you correct the view for the barrel distortion from the light houses?

I got the lenses, but the view shows all the peripheral edges bending in towards me.

Tried all the "barrel distortion correction advice" out there - nothing works.

Just wondering what you did to correct it...many others had the same experience.

How did you correct the view for the barrel distortion from the light houses?

I got the lenses, but the view shows all the peripheral edges bending in towards me.

Tried all the "barrel distortion correction advice" out there - nothing works.

Just wondering what you did to correct it...many others had the same experience.

I think I got lucky with the lens/adapter/headset combo...

All I needed to do was to put my original config into the web based "Distortion Buddy" tool, Set the sliders to +.02, +.01, and 0 respectively.

http://distortionbuddy.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/

The preset configs were ok, but only to varying degrees. The distortion I was getting was the edges were bent AWAY from me...

Edited by A101Wayz
Added weblink

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

• 2 months later...

Being rather new to VR I‘m still struggeling with the performance of my Vive pro and a little bit lost in this 147 pages thread. I‘m sorry for asking again what is answered in this thread already but can anyone share his settings in Steam and DCS with me? Would be happy to see some screenshots as well as I‘m a little bit lost specially with the steam settings. Thank you very much in advance!!!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Being rather new to VR I‘m still struggeling with the performance of my Vive pro and a little bit lost in this 147 pages thread. I‘m sorry for asking again what is answered in this thread already but can anyone share his settings in Steam and DCS with me? Would be happy to see some screenshots as well as I‘m a little bit lost specially with the steam settings. Thank you very much in advance!!!

I'll keep it simple.

1. SteamVR Settings/video tab: Motion smoothing on, Disable custom resolution.

2. Run DCS and Options/Systems.

3. Click VR preset, then set terrain/terrain textures/water to high, Civ/Heatblur off, Shadows flat only, Monitor 1 screen, Cockpit display 512, MSSA/SSAA off. You can leave the settings on the right panel alone for now.

4. Options/VR: PD 1.0.

5. ALT-TAB to desktop and go back to SteamVR settings/Applications tab. Select DCS.exe and make sure custom res stays at 100%, also note the rendering resolution for each eye.

6. ALT-TAB back to game and fly around while bringing up FPS counter (for me it's RCTRL-Pause) and note your FPS (45 is ideal because Vive Pro's refresh rate is 90 Hz so you want either 45 or 90 fps to prevent stuttering--but you're probably not going to get 90 so aim for 45 and motion smoothing will fill in the rest of the frames).

7. If you're not satisfy with image quality, then either increase PD in DCS options/system or increase custom resolution in SteamVR settings. FPS will suffer as you increase PD or rendering res.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

TrackerIR 5 temp while waiting

I have been reviewing every video and article on the newest VRs. I am not going to rush,... even i could. ( the reverb u can not get until after September. The Index probably Septemeber as well. The new HTC Vive Cosmos... end of year? So... I upgraded to the TrackerIR 5. I might pick up the LG 34" 144Hz 3440 x 1440 monitor. I am using a slow 60 Hz 30 Dell for over 2 yrs.

I reinstalled and repaired runtime.. so I am able to start up DCS. I tried selecting "all" cpu processors... see if it works. I still need to rebuild my flight chair... I am going in for surgery on the 24th.... that wil take me out for a least a week.

Incidently.. the chair will have again ... two arm panels one for each armrest. I still have the original tray (baby chair style) that inserts into the arm panels and can easily be removed. On each of the arm rails .... are platforms to mount the Throttle and stick. I have them already made from the last build.... I am also going to install a platform on the left am for a mouse.... for selecting in game switches... etc.. I can not sit in a regular chair or one that t=only the back goes back awhile the seat remains level.... too much on my back.... too many injuries...:<)

I hope to finish my house repairs soon and start on the chair within a month. It allows me to lean back ... as both the seat and back go back together. taking the pressure off the low back....

CyStryker

Thanks to Alec Delorean and Supmua

Now it works with stable 45fps and looks amazing!!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

• 3 months later...

This is just a tip for people who are new (and old) to SteamVR. I've been playing DCS on 4KTV quite a bit recently and when switching back to VR (Valve Index) my fps had tanked significantly despite the same settings (I use the same graphic settings for both 2D and VR just for the sake of simplicity). It turned out that I had left V-Sync on from 2D play and this was the culprit. V-sync must be off in VR mode otherwise it will really mess up your frametime and framerate.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 1 month later...

Getting better, a little better ...

What an extraordinary experience. I am much indebted to this community forum as I continue to learn about DCS UH-1. Just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions. Yesterday, I had my first night flight (training mission) and it was super. I have been working on the Mt Elbus rescue mission, but after getting the first group back safely, I overtaxed the engine on the second climb up the mountain and had to perform an auto to the ground (safely)!. I still have so much to learn about the software and hardware, but it's gets a bit better each time. I hope some day to be able to join a multiplayer experience. FYI, years ago (retired in '95) I was a pilot and instructor pilot in the UH-1 but today, I am a complete noob. A copilot would be very useful :lol:

Intel i7-7700K / ROG STRIX Z270F / 64GB HYPERX FURY DDR4-2666 / GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti 11G OC / HTC VIVE Pro / MaxFlightStick Uh-1H 4.0 Controls

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

I have just ordered the VIVE Cosmos in the sale, I was looking for an upgrade from my DELL Visor and wanted mechanical IPD.

I know it has had some teething trouble but I am confident it will be more than adequate for DCS.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have just ordered the VIVE Cosmos in the sale, I was looking for an upgrade from my DELL Visor and wanted mechanical IPD.

I know it has had some teething trouble but I am confident it will be more than adequate for DCS.

It has terrible inside-out controller tracking, but this doesn’t really matter in DCS. If anything, the screen resolution is high and there will be an accessory that allows you to use SteamVR lighthouse and controllers.

• ED Team
It has terrible inside-out controller tracking, but this doesn’t really matter in DCS. If anything, the screen resolution is high and there will be an accessory that allows you to use SteamVR lighthouse and controllers.

Yes, I read a lot of the reviews especially about tracking, but I dont think that will be a problem for me.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Tracking is bad :)

My initial setup the headset had trouble mapping my environment, until it did an update and things went a lot smoother after that.

The headset itself is amazing, the quality of the image is out standing, I have reduced steamVR to 100% and DCS PD to 1.0 and it is still a better image than my old dell visor. Can read dials and switches no problem, and spotting is really easy.

Pretty impressed so far.

Valve Index question

Oops wrong area sorry

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.